Is it possible to cut 24" logs with a 18" bar?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, if the log isn't too heavy to roll, then I kerf them all down from the top - in this case it would be more than half way - then I roll it over and finish all the cuts from the other side. Been doing that for years.

I almost never cut from both sides. I start on top of the log and cut the backside with the bar vertical. With a 18 in bar in a 24 in log you wont have to keep it out of the dirt because it wont reach the ground with the saw on top of the log. Then after I have cut several inches into the back side of the log I pull the saw back to a 45 degree while leaving the bar in the back of the cut. Then after cutting a few inches down I pull the saw down to horizontal and finish the cut as normal. Just be careful if you aren't used to cutting big logs. They hurt a lot worse when they roll over you foot and are much harder to get your bar out when it gets pinched.

Not possible to cut a 24" log with a 18" bar. I have proved this several times to my wife and have also shown her that in order to safely cut certain sizes of trees you must have the correct saw and bar. It just isn't safe to cut a 16" tree with a 14" bar, it isn't safe to cut a 20" tree with a 18" bar, you must use a 20" bar, for a 24" tree you must use at least a 28" bar and so on. I have a few 48" plus trees coming up, I'm looking for a 72" bar. It also applies to gas tree trimmers too, you must have several sizes of trimmers and bars to safely cut some trees.
PS, anyone who tells my wife different will get a quick punch in the face. :mad:

Not possible to cut a 24" log with a 18" bar. I have proved this several times to my wife and have also shown her that in order to safely cut certain sizes of trees you must have the correct saw and bar. It just isn't safe to cut a 16" tree with a 14" bar, it isn't safe to cut a 20" tree with a 18" bar, you must use a 20" bar, for a 24" tree you must use at least a 28" bar and so on. I have a few 48" plus trees coming up, I'm looking for a 72" bar. It also applies to gas tree trimmers too, you must have several sizes of trimmers and bars to safely cut some trees.
PS, anyone who tells my wife different will get a quick punch in the face. :mad:

PUNCH AND JUDY

Oh Canada.......................................:musical-note:

Thats good, on the same lines as I need 10 chainsaws for our fire wood.

I burn tops usually, you know the "waste" top part of a tree after loggers take the good part? And to do that I need at least 10 saws, 40 saw chains, loader tractor, a few grapples, 10 different buckets, 20 trailers ( yes 20) buzz saw, 4 wood splitters, dump truck, electric chain sharpener and a pile of other stuff she doesn't even know I have. Here is a few saws. My thread is called My Firewood Tools. I have a few pics on there. At least I'm saving money burning wood. View attachment 220834
220834d1327974361-allsaws1-jpg

Last edited:
I burn tops usually, you know the "waste" top part of a tree after loggers take the good part? And to do that I need at least 10 saws, 40 saw chains, loader tractor, a few grapples, 10 different buckets, 20 trailers ( yes 20) buzz saw, 4 wood splitters, dump truck, electric chain sharpener and a pile of other stuff she doesn't even know I have. Here is a few saws. My thread is called My Firewood Tools. I have a few pics on there. At least I'm saving money burning wood. View attachment 220834

Thats a nice little collection of saws

Whats the deal w/ the ropes on the handles?
Nice saws!

" All chainsaws must have a rope securely attached to the top handle of said saw." Canadian Rule :hmm3grin2orange:

Notice danger of the Poulan in front with severely slack chain. Some one drop a dime to the Dept of Safety, Parks Canada ?

Last edited:
Thats a good idea!!! .:msp_thumbsup:
I was just wondering.

Get a 20" bar

We have (1) 55 and (2) 455 Husqvarnas that I let the young guys use. They will easily pull Stihl RSLFK on a 20" bar. Start the cut on top, bury the bar down until you are well past the biggest cross section of the log while still:hmm3grin2orange: keeping it out of dirt. Then move the saw back towards you and continue the horizontal down cut. Try to keep the chain out of the dirt. Use a wedge to keep the bar from pinching when almost through the cut. That means watch the cut pinch and put the wedge in before it closes. I just know this post was a test...did I pass?????

View attachment 225693
Heres an update! I got at that pile with my 55 Rancher with a nice new chain. I was able to cut through both sides no problem, and I noodled the bigger pieces. First time noodling and first time cutting some 30" diameter pieces. I was concerned about kickback since the end of the saw was burried in the log for most of the cutting.

Thanks guys for the help. Was super fun!

Last edited:
View attachment 225693
Heres an update! I got at that pile with my 55 Rancher with a nice new chain. I was able to cut through both sides no problem, and I noodled the bigger pieces. First time noodling and first time cutting some 30" diameter pieces. I was concerned about kickback since the end of the saw was burried in the log for most of the cutting.

Thanks guys for the help. Was super fun!

Hey, good for you, big fun! And double hey, you got a lot of that "white dirt" stuff! heheheheh

Big logs

Hey guys. I got 3 cords of maple delivered and there are a few 24" logs in there that I need to buck and quarter. How do I cut them if I only have a 55 rancher and 18" bar without going to buy a bigger saw?

Thanks!
I gots big logs was 30 inch log and I didn't want to get big saw out so I stood them on there end and split them down to smaller pieces and cut them with my chop saw. Food for thought later

Latest posts

Back