Is it safe to run a fireplace insert 24/7?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shifty Eyed

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
My father has a Wood Chief insert that he purchased from Lowes in 1991. It has served him very well. Based on that experience, I picked up the same exact model second-hand last year. However, I like to use mine for the cost-savings benefit, whereas he is more of a "recreational user".

My question is this: Are these things made to safely run 24/7?

My wife doesn't like the fact that I will run it all night long for fear of some fire-related catastrophe. Overall, my unit is in excellent shape; showing only the usual wear-and-tear that you would expect from a 20 year old insert (hairline cracked firebrick, sagging grate, etc . . . ). However, it could use some new gasket material around the windows and doors.

Thanks in advance.

I run my Craft insert 24/7 all winter...I may let the fire go out on the odd 50+ degree day but its roaring by 6pm and usually doesn't even have time to really cool off. I throw some coal in it at night to keep it going all night (it's a terrible wood hog) and fill it back up with wood in the morning. I've never had a problem and I believe, as long as your insert is correctly installed and your chimney is in good shape, you should have no worries about using it all the time. My Craft is 20+ years old and has been used every year since it was bought.

I run my Napoleon #1401 insert, 24/7 with out any issues at all. It is four years old, the gaskets and fiber board baffles were replaces prior to this season. I have a couple of crack fire bricks also. Fix it up, install it correctly and run it. We do run a carbon monoxide detector in the stove room, it has never gone off unless I test it.

That's kind of what I thought. Aside from keeping the gaskets/door seals in good shape, lubing the blower motor, and periodic inspections, what else should I be doing in terms of maintenance?

Been burning my wood insert for 8 years now 24/7 during the heating season with no issues. I check my Chimney once a month and brush it as needed and make sure to burn seasoned wood.

check your local codes.

some codes say you must install a steel liner when putting an insert in an open fireplace.

I burn two inserts in my house, 24/7. One is free vented into the chimney smoke chamber and one is vented with 8" homesaver SS flue pipe. Never had a problem. Both are 30+ years old. :D Sorry, but I don't burn all seasoned wood. I use green wood mixed with seasoned wood at night. Seasoned wood with open stove for 1/2 hour during the day for clean out fires.

I run my insert 24/7 also. like the others have said... Keep it to code and you shouldn't have any issues. Keep the chimney clean also.

Good Luck
Dave

Mine has been going 24/7 for about 20 years (in the winter).
Beats paying the power company!
Keep your chimney clean.(nobody wants to loose their home due to fire)
Sometimes women worry a little to much,but they keep us guys in line.
Mark

Mine has been going 24/7 for about 20 years (in the winter).
Beats paying the power company!
Keep your chimney clean.(nobody wants to loose their home due to fire)
Sometimes women worry a little to much,but they keep us guys in line.
Mark

I thing that just about sums it up.

Ours runs 24/7 unless I go to bed early. The wife keeps it loaded during the day. Never have had a problem to date. (knock-on-wood)

Did you install it according to code and have it inspected?

If not and you have a problem, your insurance company may be very interested in the answer to that question.

Did you install it according to code and have it inspected?

If not and you have a problem, your insurance company may be very interested in the answer to that question.

Yes, it is installed as per code requirements, but I want to ensure that I never have a problem that requires my insurance company.

I think an insert is safer than a regular fireplace. If the fireplace is brick lined, I'd feel better about it. If there is any wood behind the insert makes sure it won't get hot back there. I burned half my house down and part of the problem was there was wood behind the fireplace. Crazy, but in Wisconsin wood may be used as a fire block. Most of the time it works because the smoke chokes out its own fire. If there is an air leak it can burn.

I burn my Fuego insert everyday for heating my little 1100 sq.ft. two story. I did line the old chimney with a 7 inch liner.

Latest posts

Back