Is it time for an Echo stickie?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, I went to tune the blower after I put a new top end on it and I discovered it doesn’t have any tuning screws! So, however it runs is however it will run, I guess. My dad’s pole saw with the same type of carb ran long enough to wear out the piston, rings, and cylinder without getting scored so I’m not too worried.
Some blowers have hidden hi and lo screws. There is a removal tool you can buy to remove plastic plugs, but if you heat a small allen wrench, push it in, then pull it out, you can remove them. Then a very small screwdriver is needed. Like for fixing glasses (jewelers). I did this with my Echo blower. Now I can tune it just like a chainsaw. Look it up online, and reply here if you don't find the specific info. I think that Steve's small engine saloon guy on Youtube has a video. good luck!

OK, time for my annual question about the 750 EVL. The ignition, if you can find an NOS one on EBAY runs $125. I'm not paying that kind of money for a vintage part, that was known to go bad when they were new. Just did my annual google search and came up with a post from AS back in 2010. Some one said they put a flywheel off a 601 on a 750 and converted it to points. Anyone know if that will work? I think I might have a junker 600 series point saw. I know I have a nice running 602, but I'm not going to kill that one to raise the 750 from the dead.
I have seen this question from several people here, I hope this finds its way to somebody it can help.

I purchased a cs-750evl and got it running. It died while cutting the first day - no spark. I read about the module issues, I saw the expensive parts on ebay.

I happened to have purchased a cs-602vl at the same time. The chassis are the same. The flywheels are the same physically, but the magnetic strips are in different places. The 602vl (no "e" means no electronic) has points. I purchased a cs-602vl flywheel, and a cs-602vl coil/points(cs-701vl & cs702vl also work). I purchased an oregon universal module, deleted the points, and wired it in. Now I have spark - used the saw on a job for some bucking and stumping. I disassembled after to make sure no new wiring was rubbing, because you have to run the wires under the flywheel (be careful removing the flywheel, easy to break - I used a steering wheel/dampener puller and two long metric bolts)

If anyone wants more info, please let me know.

Yeah, I went to tune the blower after I put a new top end on it and I discovered it doesn’t have any tuning screws! So, however it runs is however it will run, I guess. My dad’s pole saw with the same type of carb ran long enough to wear out the piston, rings, and cylinder without getting scored so I’m not too worried.
If it is a zama rotary barrel carb there is adjustment screws only they are hidden.

I have seen this question from several people here, I hope this finds its way to somebody it can help.

I purchased a cs-750evl and got it running. It died while cutting the first day - no spark. I read about the module issues, I saw the expensive parts on ebay.

I happened to have purchased a cs-602vl at the same time. The chassis are the same. The flywheels are the same physically, but the magnetic strips are in different places. The 602vl (no "e" means no electronic) has points. I purchased a cs-602vl flywheel, and a cs-602vl coil/points(cs-701vl & cs702vl also work). I purchased an oregon universal module, deleted the points, and wired it in. Now I have spark - used the saw on a job for some bucking and stumping. I disassembled after to make sure no new wiring was rubbing, because you have to run the wires under the flywheel (be careful removing the flywheel, easy to break - I used a steering wheel/dampener puller and two long metric bolts)

If anyone wants more info, please let me know.
Someone posted pretty much the same thing here about 10 years ago. I was never able to confirm the two chassis were the same. A friend has a 602 VL that I fixed for her to use on her farm. No one has picked it up since I got it running. Now that you confirmed it will work, I think I'll get that one, and convert the 750 over to points. I use the Nova II modules all the time, so then I can transform the points back to electronic. Thanks for the info.

Does anyone here need a 302S filter cover? I have one that's been kicking around for a few years and I'm getting ready to chuck it, if any of you guys needs it just pm me your address and I'll be happy to send it your way.

I picked up another 285 for $3 last week. I have another 285 that's a screaming runner. A previous owner broke the recoil cover in half and formed the broken part out of duct tape, and then epoxied it. It worked but was UGLY. Now I have two nice 285 runners.

Back