Is it time for an Echo stickie?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A friend was visiting his dad, about 2 hours away. His dad is in his 90's and an old farmer keeps an eye on him for my friend. He told the old farmer if he runs across any old saws he had a friend that collected them, ME. The old guy gave him an Echo CS 5000 and a 50 CC Poulan. He asked what they were worth and I said my base is $10 each, but I didn't want them. He said see if I could get them running and he would give the old guy $10 for them. Think I'll go pull the plugs. I put a shot of mix in the Echo and no response. These two saws are really too new for my stuff. I like most Orange Echos and I really only like the old White sand cast Poulans. If I get the CS 5000 running I might give him a little more for it? 50 CC saws can be handy, but I only like to put saws 70 CC and up on my shelves.

Anyone know what the initial carb settings are for an Echo CS400? Service manual states 1 3/8 for the Lo and I believe 2 1/4 for the Hi. Is this accurate? Problem I'm having after a total rebuild is the saw will die when u squeeze the throttle. That and it ides poorly. Seems like a carb issue. I did rebuild it. I've had the carb off so many times figuring out the routing of lines. Thought I'd try the settings one more time before another teardown.

Anyone know what the initial carb settings are for an Echo CS400? Service manual states 1 3/8 for the Lo and I believe 2 1/4 for the Hi. Is this accurate? Problem I'm having after a total rebuild is the saw will die when u squeeze the throttle. That and it ides poorly. Seems like a carb issue. I did rebuild it. I've had the carb off so many times figuring out the routing of lines. Thought I'd try the settings one more time before another teardown.
Where did you get a top end?

Not many people really care for the old or even new age echos. But it can't hurt right? Personally I do like em. I've had a number of 750s go through my hands and once I picked up a mint 701.
I just picked up a CS-302S this week. Brought it home, and had it running in a couple of hours. I need a new bar and chain for it, but it runs fine.

Bars are still available. eBay probably has bar and chain sets pretty cheap. I try not to bring home anything under 70 CC’s. Some how I’ve wound up with about 8, 300 series. My 305 was my climbing saw for 15 years or so.

I just picked up a CS-302S this week. Brought it home, and had it running in a couple of hours. I need a new bar and chain for it, but it runs fine.
I found a new bar/chain combo at walmart on clearance. I bought it, put it on the saw, and it made a vast difference in how the saw cuts.

I have an Echo GT-200R trimmer with the "no adjustment" carburetor that will not run above idle. Starts fine with the choke, idles, but runs out of fuel if the throttle is opened.

New fuel line, fuel filter, primer bulb, fuel tank vent, carburetor kit, pressure & vacuum test (crankcase) is good. I have tried raising the metering lever (probably 0.040" above the level of the body now) but no better performance.

I have had the carburetor apart and cleaned...what else can I do?

Mark

I have an Echo GT-200R trimmer with the "no adjustment" carburetor that will not run above idle. Starts fine with the choke, idles, but runs out of fuel if the throttle is opened.

New fuel line, fuel filter, primer bulb, fuel tank vent, carburetor kit, pressure & vacuum test (crankcase) is good. I have tried raising the metering lever (probably 0.040" above the level of the body now) but no better performance.

I have had the carburetor apart and cleaned...what else can I do?

Mark
Hi Mark, I've gone through a couple of Echo trimmers and the carb is unusual compared to chainsaws. On mine there where adjustments but hard to find. I found Youtube was my friend here if it is a rotary carb. They get good money where I am in Canada so i often pick them up cheap and find an easy fix. Good Luck

I finally had some time today to look at the trimmer again. I followed the lead of one YouTube video and removed the plastic plug over the HS jet, opened the jet a bit and absolutely solved the problem.

Lee - you have been a great help in this and I want to thank you again.

Mark

I finally had some time today to look at the trimmer again. I followed the lead of one YouTube video and removed the plastic plug over the HS jet, opened the jet a bit and absolutely solved the problem.

Lee - you have been a great help in this and I want to thank you again.

Mark
A small bit of help compared to the help that I have received for you, sir!

While my CS-490 did well, albeit slowly and with some overheating. It was time to buy a bigger saw.
Too many big ash like this to take apart.
When the rain stops I will take some pics of the new 620.
Saw20in20210902_175134.jpg

Attachments

• 302_ipl.pdf
    311.5 KB · Views: 3
  • 302 302s service manual.pdf
    3.6 MB · Views: 2
I did a little research and it appears the Q300F and CS-302 are either very similar or actually the same model. With that information I was able to find an IPL at eReplacement Parts and discovered the fitting on the side of the fuel tank. There was, in fact, no fuel line in the tank and I have remedied that situation and the saw now starts, runs, and idles as it should. I may need to find a new clutch & drum as the chain wants to turn at idle no matter how slow it goes, but will stop if you touch it against a piece of wood.

Mark

Back