Is my neighbor killing my tree?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Misty

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello. I need some help to determine if my neighbor is trying to kill the elm tree in my yard or if it's something natural occurring and hopefully, either way I can do something to save it.

A bit of a background first. I bought this house in 2010. The very first time I met neighbor, he started complaining about the elm tree that sits on my property, but directly along side his property line. He claimed it was killing his grass. I wish I had pictures to show how ridiculous this was because the grass on my side was growing just find under the tree, while his yard (entire yard, not just by my tree) was dirt and weeds. His backyard was trash...but I digress.

Over the past 2 years, he has been bugging me about when am I going to cut down the tree. This tree is huge and it would cost around $1000 to remove. I'm a single woman, buying this home alone and don't have that kind of cash to blow on removing a perfectly good tree. Not only that, but it provides a lot of shade in the summer and helps keep my home cool.

A couple of months ago, I noticed the side of the tree by his yard was looking white-ish. Upon investigation I noticed two perfect, deep holes are now in my tree and it looks like something may have been poured in the holes and it's killing the tree. See pics. Today, I found white-ish powder in clumps (like it had been dropped) in spots on the ground around the bad area. I have saved some of this powder.

Now, am I paranoid or could this mean someone is purposely trying to kill my tree? I'm open to the possibility that it could be something natural, but it seems a bit odd.

Thank you so much for any help you can give.

View attachment 274349View attachment 274350View attachment 274351

The powder does not look natural... did you ask him if he knows what the powder is?

The hole in the 3rd picture looks like it has been there a while.

inconclusiveness evidence but its adding up to be willful job as heard the story tell tell many many times before. Its a classic suburban tale of shame to kill your neighbors tree cuz it drops leaves or has a shadow but it happens a lot. Remedy is tricky as say funds low and starting a feud is never worth it.

Can you take a few more pictures showing the tree its landscape location and his back yard.. if its neat tidy affair with out trees there's even more support he be nutty hater of trees. If its him I say get voodoo doll n pins about all can be done less your LEO or got a 7 foot biker friend to threat , if its not maybe we can help fix the tree.

Often lawn luvers will do damage to tree not intended by herbicide or high fertilizer but them holes n powder look sus n hand drilled not by woodpecker n nature.

inconclusiveness evidence but its adding up to be willful job as heard the story tell tell many many times before. Its a classic suburban tale of shame to kill your neighbors tree cuz it drops leaves or has a shadow but it happens a lot. Remedy is tricky as say funds low and starting a feud is never worth it.

Can you take a few more pictures showing the tree its landscape location and his back yard.. if its neat tidy affair with out trees there's even more support he be nutty hater of trees. If its him I say get voodoo doll n pins about all can be done less your LEO or got a 7 foot biker friend to threat , if its not maybe we can help fix the tree.

Often lawn luvers will do damage to tree not intended by herbicide or high fertilizer but them holes n powder look sus n hand drilled not by woodpecker n nature.

+1

The holes are on his side and the white powder is on his side too? If so, I would call the police to investigate. The white powder is your evidence if anything is really happening. Once the powder disolves, no evidence. I've seen trees killed with road salt. Spread it around, let the rain disolve it and let nature do it's work. Trees don't like salty roots. Trouble here is we don't know WHAT the powder is. Could be harmful to the environment too. Once the neighbor sees the cops and is asked questions that could lead to HUGE costs to him, he may leave you alone.

The white staining on the lower trunk is from Slime Flux, naturally occurring.

The holes do not look man made, possible old wounds the tree has not yet closed over.

You need to find out what the powder is. It may be just from a lime application, I would ask your neighbor.

If your tree is an American Elm please do your research on DED.

Hello all. Thanks for the replies.

A little more in response to the things that were brought up.

The holes aren't very old actually. They showed up about 2 months ago. One thing that makes them look old possibly is the fact that the bark and inside the tree is often wet (with a clear fluid) and rotting away. The big hole is also about 3-4 inches deep, so it doesn't seem like a typical tree wound like where a branch was removed or something. I live near Denver, CO and it has been extremely dry, yet the area around the hole will become wet for no reason. I've been checking it about every day for the past 4 weeks.

I was told the tree was a Siberian Elm by the tree trimmer about a year ago.

I'll take more pics. But this guy is definitely not a tidy lawn guy. His front lawn is nothing but dirt now and has been since April. That's when he seemed like he was going to do some work on it. He dug up all the weeds and rocks that had been there and put a bark border and then that was it. He's definitely not an honest person either. This summer, I found a branch from one of my trees in the back, in my back yard. It had clearly been sawed off. The end was a completely smooth cut. I asked him if he did it and he said it broke off and fell in his yard so he threw it over my fence. I don't even know why he did it because I trimmed those limbs in early spring so none were hanging over into his yard. He's never complained about the leaves, only the sap supposedly killing his (non-existent) lawn.

The holes and damage are both on the side of the tree facing his yard.

I did a bit of research on Dutch Elm Disease, I don't see any evidence of the beetles or other damage and prior to them falling in the fall, the leaves and all were very healthy. The Slime flux (apparently they call it wetwood around here) seems possible. It's just that with all the other factors (the holes appearing, the white powder) seemed odd.

I will probably go over and ask him what he knows about the white powder today. I have a dog that will walk around the yard when I'm outside and am also afraid that this might hurt her.

I live near Denver, CO and it has been extremely dry, yet the area around the hole will become wet for no reason. I've been checking it about every day for the past 4 weeks.
If you really think your neighbor is pouring something in the tree, you can always put a webcam in front of a window and have it record for a few days. You'll soon know if he gets in your garden. Check the wholes to see when they are wet and playback the recording.
Based on what you say he probably won't be honest too you about it if you ask him and keep doing it, so a recording would be the perfect prove in that case.

Put a camera up even if its costs a few bucks, and do so discretely! If he kills this tree you are going to be paying the bill for removal unless you can prove he was the cause of death. That bill will be far more than the cost of putting up a camera. This guy seems to freak me out and i believe i would also watch anything you have outside like in a shed or even your mail. He seems like a nut job. Do not be intimidated. Get your evidence and then go to the police, and then, if the tree does die and need to be taken down, you can take him to court if he doesn't agree to pay. With the evidence and police report in hand, and a signed letter from an arborist explaining that he believes the tree was killed via poisoning. Stay suspicious but do NOT jump to conclusions until there is hard evidence and make sure you get a good view of him so he doesn't claim "it wasn't me you can't prove it, it was another man my size" type thing. Good luck i hope it all works out.

Sure looks suspicious to me too. The white stain reminds me of chemical residue after spraying heavy concentrates of Round-Up. Continued use will sure kill trees.
I'd go to WalMart and pick up an inexpensive gamehunters camera, and set it to take night pics at 3 minute intervals. They usually have a movement sensor that takes a pic of anything moving within 40 feet.

just fungi!

as an armature myclogist, that simply looks like fungi of sorts, the powered part may be myceleum. this dose not look as if your neighbor is killing the tree.

The hole does not look natural, and the slime flux is typical of Siberian elm that has been injured -- I have two of those trees in my yard. As far as the rest, can't say for sure.

You could try some detective work: next time he is not home, take some photos of his yard (from your property or the street or sidewalk, of course), paying special attention to around his garage and around back; you might get lucky and document some evidence. Use a good camera so you can zoom in later. If he leaves his garage door open, walk by and take a quick photo. Then there is his trash can...

You could also come right out and ask if he drilled a hole in your tree, and see how he handles it. If he denies it, ask him to look at it and help you figure out what happened. Maybe I watch too many detective shows, but "the perp" may try to point the blame elsewhere, and in so doing incriminate himself in some way. Write down exactly what he says later or wear a wire...

Reminds me of the residue left over when pouring used paint thinner down a hole (IN A STUMP)

Has he been doing any home improvements, dig around in the mulch and look for more of the white powder. If thats what it is it will be there.

OP can you post a pic of the entire tree? is the trees health declining?

Those holes do not look fresh, looks like the tree has been healing over for some time. could be there were some large leads (branches) cut off there in the past??

The staining and sap flow is common on these elms and does not indicate anything abnormal; they are FULL of water

however the white powder does seem a bit unusual, almost like salt spray

If you fight to keep this tree be prepared to have it trimmed regularly. Sib elms are fast growing, weak, messy trees and will get very large in a short amount of time

I just wanted to say that this thread has me on the edge of my seat, and I am really looking forward to seeing how this ends!

I would like for her to return also, but don't hold your breath. The majority of new posters are only seeking immediate answers, and then vanish forever. If she comes back, she may like it here, and become a regular.:clap:

Just posted your Pic, don't hold your breath.

cm-40939-050d60dbe5eec6.jpeg

Latest posts

Back