Is my Oak tree dying?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jcnbrn

Reaction score
I believe this is a Pin Oak. It has been losing leaves all summer. initially I thought it was due to being damaged in a hail storm we had in March. Now there is apparent fungus growing on the trunk and branches. 50B2A0C9-8620-4760-93A4-248E301778CA.jpeg50B2A0C9-8620-4760-93A4-248E301778CA.jpegFC720AB2-064D-433E-82C7-91D34BDBE7E8.jpeg522C6636-F542-49DF-82C0-F6D254BDFC10.jpegFC720AB2-064D-433E-82C7-91D34BDBE7E8.jpeg50B2A0C9-8620-4760-93A4-248E301778CA.jpeg522C6636-F542-49DF-82C0-F6D254BDFC10.jpeg

@Raintree may well have it with BLS. Could also be severe iron deficiency related to soil pH (pretty yellow-looking leaves)...but why would it have gotten that large before that shows up?

The green stuff on the bark is lichen. Not at all harmful to the tree - in fact more beneficial. It probably has grown as it has gotten more sunlight as the canopy thins.

Unfortunately that tree is indeed dying. I’m sure it was a very beautiful tree not long ago... the only potential upside is that you are realizing now before it starts potentially dropping limbs. Also, usually (around here at least) you can get better rates during the winter. I would start lining up quotes too long, though, as a little bit of ice could cause things to start breaking and you don’t want to add vehicle damage to the tab.

Appreciate the responses. Does anyone else agree that it could be an iron deficiency as @ATH stated? If so what measures could I take to improve the iron? Would love to try and save this beautiful tree. Leaves hav been historically yellower each year

Appreciate the responses. Does anyone else agree that it could be an iron deficiency as @ATH stated? If so what measures could I take to improve the iron? Would love to try and save this beautiful tree. Leaves hav been historically yellower each year
The oaks in my area look like that from gypsy moths and tent caterpillars one year
Just to rule it out have you had any leaves this year or previous that were chewed or had holes?

The oaks in my area look like that from gypsy moths and tent caterpillars one year
Just to rule it out have you had any leaves this year or previous that were chewed or had holes?
It’s not something that stands out and I don’t see any in the leaves currently

Just to be clear...I am not convinced it is iron deficiency. Just another possibility.

You could send samples in for diagnosis. http://www.vetdna.com/test-type/plant-horticulture They can tell you if it is or is not Bacterial Leaf Scorch. You could also send leaf samples for nutrient analysis, but I am sure there will be some deficiencies...not sure how BLS impacts those.

Damage patterns that are nonuniform indicate biotic factors (insects or pathogens)
Uniform patterns of damage are more likely to be abiotic (weather, nutrient deficiencies etc.)
The decline in your pin oak is nonuniform, thus the possibility of a bacterium.

Damage patterns that are nonuniform indicate biotic factors (insects or pathogens)
Uniform patterns of damage are more likely to be abiotic (weather, nutrient deficiencies etc.)
The decline in your pin oak is nonuniform, thus the possibility of a bacterium.
A local arborist suggests it could be verticillium wilt.

Latest posts

Back