Is my tree a goner?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TXJoe

Reaction score
Anyone have advice on how to save my tree? It is 18 years old and split right down the middle from last nights snowfall in Texas. I want to include a picture but not sure how to do it on this forum.

Joe

JoeTx, click on the 'Manage Attachment' button below the text entry box, then select 'Upload a file from my computer'. Then select the file name of the picture you want to upload.

What kind of a tree is it? Most likely, if it split all the way down, it's a goner. A picture will help the guys here tell you for sure.

the standing part will be a high risk to fail after tha wound decays. one option is to prune it back to balance it out (wait until the leaves harden off) and plant some replacements, then remove it in 5-10? years when it gets too rotten. by then the others will have some size.

That, or whack it now and replant. Sorry you lost your tree, but it's an excellent advertisement for pruning and cabling and ongoing care.:rockn:

Anyone have advice on how to save my tree? It is 18 years old and split right down the middle from last nights snowfall in Texas. I want to include a picture but not sure how to do it on this forum.

Joe

It is 18 years old man trees must grow faster in Texas than Ohio . I agree with what treeseer said about the tree . I looks more like a 80 some year old tree too me just my opinion .It looks like this tree was a real focal point for your yard it too bad it had to go .

The wound could compartmentalize, and tree might have a chance,
the hazard would be the question here, looks as though the rest of your
tree is over your house! Also the shape is grossly misshapen and not in
my opinion an asset I once winched up split and braced it back together
with success but was immediately after incident and the tree lives and
looks great today! You can see where the split was but has actually grown back together and seems healthy this does not work all the time and depends on a lot of factors especially time exposed to elements, tree age , cause of split etc.

Last edited:
Looked at pictures again would not work on your tree as split
almost separates from stem the tree that I put back together split in a way that both halves were still holding and were near equal. I was experimenting on this tree and was not near house so hazard was minimal!!!

Looks like an Arizona ash. They would get that large in 18 yrs. They are pretty notorious for large limbs splitting off and weak wood. Quick shade, but they are not really planted any more. I would take it out for sure and replace it with a native tree.

The wounding cuts made to remove that section would be too large. I dont see it being able to compartmentalize. Pest/pathogen would have a field day.

good candidate 4 removal.

Back