Is Synthetic 2 Stroke Oil any advantage over conventional 2 Stroke Oil?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fellin Feller

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Just curious if there is any advantage using synthetic oil in the mix. I wonder if any mechanics can weigh in on this question.
There are so many oils on the market it can get confusing. Now they sell synthetic mixed oil as well.

Synthetic 2-stroke oil is better for the environment, producing lower deposits and emissions due to lower ash content. Petroleum-based 2-stroke oils include non-lubricant solvents and additives that allow for easier gasoline mixing. These solvents and additives burn at a high clip and produce higher emissions.

https://www.thebestoil.com/synthetic-2-cycle-oil/
NOT a sponsor or brand gospel! Just some info. And be sure to use oil FD rated for air cooled engines.

I don’t have a definite answer to that question. But I can tell you this. I have been running Amsoil for over 20 years and have never blown up a engine. Not back when I used to race snow machines and dirt bikes. Not working saws on a daily basis, not now racing saws. And that stuff burns clean. Intently pulled the top end off a husqy 372 after about 15 tanks of fuel, and that piston wiped clean and looked brand new with 0 carbon build up anywhere in the engine. And I’ve run engines a lot longer then that with similar results.
It is the only stuff I use.

I don’t have a definite answer to that question. But I can tell you this. I have been running Amsoil for over 20 years and have never blown up a engine. Not back when I used to race snow machines and dirt bikes. Not working saws on a daily basis, not now racing saws. And that stuff burns clean. Intently pulled the top end off a husqy 372 after about 15 tanks of fuel, and that piston wiped clean and looked brand new with 0 carbon build up anywhere in the engine. And I’ve run engines a lot longer then that with similar results.
Which Amsoil? Dominator or Sabre?

Which Amsoil? Dominator or Sabre?
I like the Sabre a little better but I’ve run the dominator as well and it’s also good. I mix it at 48-1 with either oil. I know the Sabre claims it’s a 100-1 oil, but I’ve had no issues running it at 48-1. Still very clean, and as I’ve stated I’ve never had a engine problem running. I’ve been running the same engine in my skidoo tundra since about 2003 and it’s still going strong, and that sled gets a lot of miles.

Are your saws perhaps tuned on the rich side given the 'piston wiped clean with zero carbon buildup'? I've always had some carbon with both petroleum and synthetics.

Synthetic 2-stroke oil is better for the environment, producing lower deposits and emissions due to lower ash content. Petroleum-based 2-stroke oils include non-lubricant solvents and additives that allow for easier gasoline mixing. These solvents and additives burn at a high clip and produce higher emissions.

https://www.thebestoil.com/synthetic-2-cycle-oil/
NOT a sponsor or brand gospel! Just some info. And be sure to use oil FD rated for air cooled engines.
Ash content refers to the sulfated ash test and measures the type and quantity of detergent present in the oil. It really doesn't have anything to do with ash formed by combustion.
Almost all two cycle oils contain solvent diluent. The main problem with solvents is if the solvent isn't high quality it passes through the engine without burning at all or worse yet partially burning causing heavy deposits.
It's also worth noting that any oil that is actually FD rated is at least partially synthetic. Straight mineral oils will not pass the certification tests beyond FB.

Just curious if there is any advantage using synthetic oil in the mix. I wonder if any mechanics can weigh in on this question.
There are so many oils on the market it can get confusing. Now they sell synthetic mixed oil as well.
Firstly - a lot of mechanics simply hate synthetic oil. My opinion is that synthetic is mostly just a significantly higher grade of motor oil. It protects better and lasts longer. Worth it for vehicles worth more than a couple thousand dollars though diesel engines are a different equation almost entirely.

Firstly - a lot of mechanics simply hate synthetic oil. My opinion is that synthetic is mostly just a significantly higher grade of motor oil. It protects better and lasts longer. Worth it for vehicles worth more than a couple thousand dollars though diesel engines are a different equation almost entirely.
Never heard of a mechanic that hates synthetic oil. Some might be kinda' indifferent towards it, but I don't know any that hate it.

Why is it different for diesel engines? Most modern ones are spech'd to run some type of synthetic or blend. The only real exception to the rule I'm aware of are old 2-stroke Detroit's. Our oil salesman spec'd a conventional 40wt. for them with the bare minimum of additives to prevent ash buildup on the crown of the pistons and in the ring grooves.

A lot of good full synthetic oils out there, and some very good semi synthetic oils as well. They all have benefits over dino oil, primarily the ash and carbon build up.
I too don't understand the mechanics hate synthetic oil thing. Been a heavy duty diesel mechanic from high school until recently. Done tons of oil samples and the synthetic oil 9 times out of 10 comes back that it was still good for continued use. Didn't matter if it was a Detroit 12v or a 5.9 cummins. The benefits ought weight any cons.

Why do many mechanics hate synthetic oil? Could be something like this:
Mechanic: I changed the oil in it for you.
Consumer: I just put in some expensive synthetic oil before bringing it in.

Didn't say I agreed with them. I use synthetic 90% of the time. Except for my diesel - darn thing takes 3 gallons of oil. Plus a huge oil filter.

Latest posts

Back