Is Synthetic 2 Stroke Oil any advantage over conventional 2 Stroke Oil?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A lot of good full synthetic oils out there, and some very good semi synthetic oils as well. They all have benefits over dino oil, primarily the ash and carbon build up.
I too don't understand the mechanics hate synthetic oil thing. Been a heavy duty diesel mechanic from high school until recently. Done tons of oil samples and the synthetic oil 9 times out of 10 comes back that it was still good for continued use. Didn't matter if it was a Detroit 12v or a 5.9 cummins. The benefits ought weight any cons.
I think with 4 cycle engine oils it's pretty cut and dried that Synthetics are better.
With two cycle oils it's less cut and dried. In fact some synthetic two cycle oils actually suck. It's also telling that JASO FD oils are almost all synthetic blends.

I think with 4 cycle engine oils it's pretty cut and dried that Synthetics are better.
With two cycle oils it's less cut and dried. In fact some synthetic two cycle oils actually suck. It's also telling that JASO FD oils are almost all synthetic blends.
I agree with both statements after thinking about it, your correct 100%.

You have to keep in mind that in the US, "synthetic oil" can mean many things. It includes Group III, IV, and V oils. Group III is highly refined petroleum oil, while Group IV is PAO, and Group V is Ester. When I think true synthetic oils, I think Group IV and V. With that said, I haven't see any significant benefits to Group IV or V oils in 2 stroke power equipment. A high rpm, high output dirt bike or cart engine can benefit from increased film strength of ester oils, but a low output saw...I don't feel its really necessary. A JASO FD certified oil will do everything you need it to, in a saw, trimmer, blower, etc. From what I've seen, all FD approved oils are at least semi syn.

Yes, synthetic 2-stroke oil offers several advantages over conventional 2-stroke oil. It typically provides better lubrication, reduces engine deposits, and enhances engine performance. Synthetic oils also resist thermal breakdown at high temperatures, leading to improved stability and longer engine life. While they may be slightly more expensive, the long-term benefits often outweigh the cost difference.

Here are some resources you may also need to know:

1. AMSOIL 2 Stroke Oil

2. AMSOIL SEVERE GEAR® Synthetic SAE 80W90 Gear Oil

Firstly - a lot of mechanics simply hate synthetic oil. My opinion is that synthetic is mostly just a significantly higher grade of motor oil. It protects better and lasts longer. Worth it for vehicles worth more than a couple thousand dollars though diesel engines are a different equation almost entirely.
This was explained to me once and I remember the gist of it but I might get some of the details wrong:
The issue is running an older vehicle on dino for years and then switching to synth. It's really more about the additive packages than the oil itself. Conventional dino has waxes added that will cling to parts after shut down. These waxes form deposits on gaskets and seals. Over time, the gaskets may have failed due to age but the waxes keep the system sealed. If you switch to synthetic, the additives wash those old waxes away and the old gaskets start to leak.
Dino oil weight is achieved by filtering the oil molecules by weight . The longer hydrocarbon chains are sorted into heavier weight oils. With synthetics, the oil is cooked to force the chains to bond into desired lengths. The synthetic process results in more consistent chain lengths and fewer undesirable contaminants. Synth lubricates better, oxidizes less, acidifies slower, and forms less sludge.
Now that's for diesel and 4 stroke engines. With 2t oil we aren't worried about the oil surviving in the crankcase for 5k miles. There is no downside to synth oil aside from cost and that's negligible considering the superior lubrication and reduced deposits.

Yes, synthetic 2-stroke oil offers several advantages over conventional 2-stroke oil. It typically provides better lubrication, reduces engine deposits, and enhances engine performance. Synthetic oils also resist thermal breakdown at high temperatures, leading to improved stability and longer engine life. While they may be slightly more expensive, the long-term benefits often outweigh the cost difference.

Here are some resources you may also need to know:

1. AMSOIL 2 Stroke Oil

2. AMSOIL SEVERE GEAR® Synthetic SAE 80W90 Gear Oil
Did you dig up a 2+ year old thread just to pitch us Amsoil products?

This was explained to me once and I remember the gist of it but I might get some of the details wrong:
The issue is running an older vehicle on dino for years and then switching to synth. It's really more about the additive packages than the oil itself. Conventional dino has waxes added that will cling to parts after shut down. These waxes form deposits on gaskets and seals. Over time, the gaskets may have failed due to age but the waxes keep the system sealed. If you switch to synthetic, the additives wash those old waxes away and the old gaskets start to leak.
Dino oil weight is achieved by filtering the oil molecules by weight . The longer hydrocarbon chains are sorted into heavier weight oils. With synthetics, the oil is cooked to force the chains to bond into desired lengths. The synthetic process results in more consistent chain lengths and fewer undesirable contaminants. Synth lubricates better, oxidizes less, acidifies slower, and forms less sludge.
Now that's for diesel and 4 stroke engines. With 2t oil we aren't worried about the oil surviving in the crankcase for 5k miles. There is no downside to synth oil aside from cost and that's negligible considering the superior lubrication and reduced deposits.
Oil hasn't had waxes in for 50 years or better. The reason old engines will leak on synthetics is due to seals not being compatible with synthetic oils. This was a problem in the 1970's when synthetics began to become popular, but isn't an issue anymore.
In a two stroke with modern oils full synthetic oils in many cases are a detriment in 0pe, which is why FD oils are mostly synthetic blends with the sy their component being PIB.

Latest posts

Back