Is the MS460 Magnum Weak?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I see but what would you say is the avg size of tree he cuts?? Thinking aloud here but if the avg tree i was cutting was 30-50" or so Id probably use a 044/441/441 mtronic or even 460 with a 28" stihl ES light bar. However if the avg tree was over the 42" mark or if there where lots over this mark and they needed to be halved in order for the mill to take them then I would definately use a 660 with a 36" or 32" as this noodling or halving an entire 8 or 9 foot long log with a 42" plus diameter definately adds a new variable that puts it in 90cc territory.

The 120cc saws eg 084/088/3120 i dont think they have any all day everyday use in North America anymore. West coast fallers will I think usually own one or the company might have a few on hand for when they get into a strip with enormous trees but I think thats pretty rare nowadays.
Hard to believe, but that's precisely the argument I used with him. I said that the smaller, lighter saw with a 25" or 30" bar would be a breeze to use for bucking most of his logs and for big limbing rather than use the 660 all of the time.

He said, "Forget it. The 660 is a logger's saw and I use that for just about everything that I cut. It's a waste of time to switch saws back and forth."

Frankly, men, I disagree with my logger friend. I would rather use a smaller saw for most of my cutting and then bring the big saw on board only when the smaller saw cannot handle the situation.

MS460 is happy to pull a 32" all day in PNW softwoods. Add a DP cover, it'll pull a 36". Port it, and it'll do all that comfortably. Cottonwood, though... what a sloppy mess. The biggest worry I have with them is the short, weak fibers. A 460 doesn't quite have the poop to power past potential barberchairs every time, no matter how hot it's built. My money says that if you're over 36", you want 90cc's every time. Some of the worst cutting I've done has been in ~40" cottonwood blowdowns. Chips? More like oatmeal. It's a PITA as a tree species, unless you happen to be a river, in which case it's a godsend. Without cottonwood, we don't really have rivers at all in these parts.

MS460 is happy to pull a 32" all day in PNW softwoods. Add a DP cover, it'll pull a 36". Port it, and it'll do all that comfortably. Cottonwood, though... what a sloppy mess. The biggest worry I have with them is the short, weak fibers. A 460 doesn't quite have the poop to power past potential barberchairs every time, no matter how hot it's built. My money says that if you're over 36", you want 90cc's every time. Some of the worst cutting I've done has been in ~40" cottonwood blowdowns. Chips? More like oatmeal. It's a PITA as a tree species, unless you happen to be a river, in which case it's a godsend. Without cottonwood, we don't really have rivers at all in these parts.

Nailed that one, he did. Western rivers need cottonwoods like western cottonwoods need rivers.

I agree, they are weak ;). Perfect excuse to get a larger saw.

[video=youtube;ZCpwMlRbLtY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCpwMlRbLtY[/video]

Its not weak.

Yes the 660 is a loggers saw.

A hatchet can fill a ranger or Mazda bed easily

Last edited:

Ahh makes sense then why the 660- safer-to avoid barber chairs and also when splitting logs lenghtwise for the mill. But still I must say a forest where the trees avg 40" or more be kinda impressive never seen a forest with avg trees that big around here.

As Madhatte has said, a 460 with a 32 inch bar is standard for here. A 660 may be kept in the pickup for just in case, but the fallers prefer to use a 460.

My neighbor, who is a retired faller--his son is still in the business, says a 460 is lighter to pack around, and works well for our second growth. He said a 440 will do until you need that extra power to speed up, then you'd be in trouble so you'd better have a 460. The 440 is a good landing saw and will also have a 32 inch bar on it.

They seldom cut cottonwood.

I Guess He's Right

As Madhatte has said, a 460 with a 32 inch bar is standard for here. A 660 may be kept in the pickup for just in case, but the fallers prefer to use a 460.

My neighbor, who is a retired faller--his son is still in the business, says a 460 is lighter to pack around, and works well for our second growth. He said a 440 will do until you need that extra power to speed up, then you'd be in trouble so you'd better have a 460. The 440 is a good landing saw and will also have a 32 inch bar on it.

They seldom cut cottonwood.
So, my logger friend is right. For what he is doing, the MS 660 is ideal and the MS 460 is too weak. I'd still like to have a 460 Mag for big log firewood cutting and to give my MS 361 a breather. Occasionally, the loggers leave these large (but not logging) trees around after they drop them, and some of those produce fabulous firewood, such as ash, locust, and mulberry.

I was planning on buying him a 460 Mag for his brtthday, but if he can't use it, I guess I'll have to buy one for myself.

So, my logger friend is right. For what he is doing, the MS 660 is ideal and the MS 460 is too weak. I'd still like to have a 460 Mag for big log firewood cutting and to give my MS 361 a breather. Occasionally, the loggers leave these large (but not logging) trees around after they drop them, and some of those produce fabulous firewood, such as ash, locust, and mulberry.

I was planning on buying him a 460 Mag for his brtthday, but if he can't use it, I guess I'll have to buy one for myself.

Looks like you got it figured out. :D :D :D

Put a 16 on your 361 and a 25 on your 460, with a 28-32 with skip chain in reserve for the 460, and you've got everything licked. As a routine, I run 16s on my 50cc saws, 20s on my 60cc saws, 25s on my 70cc saws and 32s on my 90cc saws. That's if they are unported, of course.

Also, a 460 responds BIG TIME to a muffler mod and retune.

Heres Typical cottonwoods around here I swap back and fourth between the ported 372xpw and 066 both wearing 32" bars. I had a 460 and it would work fine , matter of fact Id like to get another one.

244314d1341635375-100_4628-jpg

244315d1341635454-dsc_0044-jpg

244316d1341635548-dsc_0066-jpg

244317d1341635610-460_1-jpg

Last edited:
I've had a few saws in my short saw career.

Decided 60cc has no place with me. 50cc saws are sweet for limving and small wood bucking when your to tired to pick up the 90cc saws.

70cc saws with a 25-28" bare are perfect for most anything.

I've had a few saws in my short saw career.

Decided 60cc has no place with me. 50cc saws are sweet for limving and small wood bucking when your to tired to pick up the 90cc saws.

70cc saws with a 25-28" bare are perfect for most anything.
Ive never been a 60cc saw guy but after seeing "Funkysawmans" 562that may change he opened up the muffler a bit and it was impressive

my 460 works pretty good with a 32 bar burried ,can lean on it pretty good ,a square cut chain seems to help with the power on the longer bars ,not being so grabby as the round filed

A 562 and a 90 cc saw makes a nice pair. I think the 50cc saws suck for power no matter what brand and porting. A 460 without port work seemed like a heavy pig to me and won't pull a 32" bar in hardwood comfortably.

Well I'm new on this site,but I'm not new to chainsaws,,infact I'm in my bedroom now and on my desk is a built Ms 460 mag that I have recently completed...I've cut 1/2 load of wood "pin oak" with said saw...it's very responsive,, VERY. I used the big bore kit and ,no it's not ported,,YET😎 IM GOING TO THOUGH!! But I'm just tooling around with it and an Ms 660 I've built,,I'm just wandering what u mean about the comment about the limiting fuel device??! I guess us rednecks here I'm WV,, don't use things like that??

I asked a logger buddy who fells and bucks big logs (about two-thirds cottonwood for sawmills) if he could use a good Stihl MS 460 Magnum instead of either an MS 650 or 660. His "money" saw today is the MS 660, but he also used 650s for several years.

He said, "forget it" because he needs to run a 36" bar and the 460 is too weak and won't pull it, even when cutting lowly cottonwood. I was a bit taken back by that. Is he right?

Forum, please advise and discuss.
Well, put a 20 in bar on each saw and time them and report back. The 460 won't have the torque to keep up with the 660 with a 36, but with smaller bar, the 460 should cut around the same speed. Depends on what bar you are running. Pick the right size saw for each job. The lighter and faster, the better.

Back