Is the oak tree splitting?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think that is one tree. Maybe browsed to the ground when a small sapling by deer, etc.

I would never remove that large low limb. Weight reduction at the branch tips is way better for the tree plus you never want a large lower limb removed to the trunk as it almost inevitability lead to decay in the main trunk of the tree.

An overall light crown reduction would be good for your oak and reduce leveraged weight and wind loads.

As for thinning inside of the crown near the major limbs, 'Don't do it'.

Make no drastic measures.

I think that is one tree. Maybe browsed to the ground when a small sapling by deer, etc.

I would never remove that large low limb. Weight reduction at the branch tips is way better for the tree plus you never want a large lower limb removed to the trunk as it almost inevitability lead to decay in the main trunk of the tree.

An overall light crown reduction would be good for your oak and reduce leveraged weight and wind loads.

As for thinning inside of the crown near the major limbs, 'Don't do it'.

Make no drastic measures.
No way it's one tree, look at the base. As far as the limb reduction goes, way less risk of rot entering the trunk with a clean cut versus them continuing to spread, allowing rot in the middle

No way it's one tree, look at the base. As far as the limb reduction goes, way less risk of rot entering the trunk with a clean cut versus them continuing to spread, allowing rot in the middle

You could be right about it being two trees but I think there is a higher probibility of it growing from one sapling.

Latest posts

Back