Is there a Maple doctor in the house?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carla

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi I wondered if anyone knows if there is anything wrong with our maples. They are 75 to 100 maybe more years old. The house is a 100 years old.
I took pics of the bark.
The greenish stuff on the bark concerns me. We had a dead one removed right next to where the skinny one is. Now I'm afraid this one is a goner too. I'm afraid it may be salt poisoning from the salting roads in winter.
Also an old pear tree I planted a perineal garden around. I'd like to help the trees if they need anything.

sorry i'll try to post pic right in post

2-6-06-21.jpg

2-6-06-22.jpg

2-6-06-23.jpg

2-6-06-24.jpg

The green stuff is nothing to be concerned about , those are lichens (not sure on the spelling). Unfortunately the trees look as tho they have rotted out and if not dead will be. My husband is the arborist but i think i'm right about it. Unfortunately I dont believe they can be saved because of the apparent rotting.

In the words of

Monty Python and the Holy Grail ...
"Not quite dead!";)
Take a look again Timber this pic is from August.
Their bark has looked like this for really as long as we've been here near 20 years. They still get lots of leaves. Only they get them slightly later and lose them slightly earlier than younger trees.
I wish I had more spring or summer pics but we only got the digital camera this summer and I only took pics of our pond
building.
AWG3.jpg

What about shagging??

Isn't that a term for ancient trees and what happens to their bark?
I really didn't expect to hear people say they are dead.
Glad I didn't post a pic of my aging grandpa. lol:laugh:
Anyone work with very old maples or pears?

PS - The pear still produces delicious fruit.

All things have a life exspectancy

As with all things they become old. This is just a process that older trees go through, nothing to be alarmed about. I would trim the dead out not to drastic cause with older trees it could kill them just the smaller limbs and the dangerous. plant some new trees near by and when you think your ready then cut the older trees down. Trees can live along time and no one knows when they will die. The one with the side rot will last another 20 years it don't look life threatening or to close to anything that it can hurt leave it alone. It's fine just remove the dead out of it and thin it up.

Yikes, who let the looney bin into the homeowner forum? :confused:
Carla your maple trees are sugar maples and the shagging bark it what they are supposed to look like at that age. Looks like they have some deadwood that could be pruned out. The cavities and twists are typical of maples at that age also. Would like to see a larger mulch bed around them to stop the weed eaters and lawn mower from hitting the bases. I would suggest contact an local arborist to get a hands on close up view of the base and structure of the trees and make a determination from there. As for the pear it could probably use some dead wood removal also, careful of the timing with pruning it so as to not cut off potential flowers and fruit. Good luck. :)

Dadatwins said:
Yikes, who let the looney bin into the homeowner forum? :confused:
Carla your maple trees are sugar maples and the shagging bark it what they are supposed to look like at that age. Looks like they have some deadwood that could be pruned out. The cavities and twists are typical of maples at that age also. Would like to see a larger mulch bed around them to stop the weed eaters and lawn mower from hitting the bases. I would suggest contact an local arborist to get a hands on close up view of the base and structure of the trees and make a determination from there. As for the pear it could probably use some dead wood removal also, careful of the timing with pruning it so as to not cut off potential flowers and fruit. Good luck. :)
You beat me to the puch, Dada. Carla, don't write your trees off yet. Hire an Arborist to come out and inspect the trees and give you a proper diagnosis. In the first pic, it is hard to tell but it looks like the roots are girdling the base of the tree. Am I the only one seeing that?

Might be some some girdling roots, hard to tell without seeing it up close, maples that size typically have roots everywhere all crossed over each other.

Lichens are good for the tree not bad. moss is not bad. Hollow trees should get a good look but may be plenty strong. Check the link below re Mulching, Mature Tree Care etc.

timber is either a troll or just kidding or desparate for removal work. No problems.

treeseer said:
timber is either a troll or just kidding or desparate for removal work. No problems.

treeseer, you win the Kewpie Doll for that!!! he's gotta be the ultimate troll... asked me in instant message to be his girlfriend!!! :laugh: his 'profile' says 19-- which my profile shows i'm old enough to be his great granny... ;)

and timber, "ultimate" troll isn't a compliment...

Oh Thank Goodness

Glad to wake up this morning and not find quacks on my newfound advice site!:)

Those trees are gorgeous all spring and summer and the house would not be the same without them. I appreciate the advice especially about the mulch, I've only recently started mulching since we planted a garden and the trees were only getting leftovers. Only I remember there was something about not mulching right up to the trunk. ?? How far from the trunk do I begin the mulch and should I just try to cover the roots that are sticking up?

Nature does most of the trimming around here unfortunately, or fortunately depending. The winds are amazing in storms and branches of dead wood are often found in the yard following terrific winds.
I've just always wondered about the green and weather we should be doing anything for the trees ourselves.
I probably will look for an arborist, but I will not be tearing these trees down until they no longer produce the beautiful canopy they provide.

maples

And here is the oldest maple in japan. As already stated: Cavities. All the sugar i guess.. Thanks for visiting

"i'm old enough to be his great granny..."

Hey experience beats youth any day...well, most days.

Carla, 6-12" away is good. the info linked is pretty detailed. Let us know if you have ?s after reading it.

treeseer said:
"i'm old enough to be his great granny..."

Hey experience beats youth any day...well, most days.

i agree, heartily, but i prefer men who can spell... i certainly hope you aren't suggesting that 'timber' boy is the best i can do... ;)

treeseer said:
Carla, 6-12" away is good. the info linked is pretty detailed. Let us know if you have ?s after reading it.

Carla, i am so glad some of the knowledgeable people came forth!!! great knowledge base on this site... and some characters too!!!

Latest posts

Back