Is there a saw you never want to see again?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old2stroke

Never too many toys
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Mine is the Poulan PP5020, one of the worst saws to get started I have ever seen. It comes with an E-Z start system that doesn't ever seem to work properly. When used correctly, the start spring doesn't kick the engine over fast enough to make a spark. The ignition module on these is marginal for making a spark at low rpm even when new, and quickly degrades to not making any unless the engine is really ripping over, so eventually you HAVE to drop start it to achieve that rpm and of course that destroys the E-Z start spring. The definitive cure is to eliminate the E-Z start by welding the spring coils together and I no longer have access to welding equipment that will do it right. Don't bring me another one.

There are many but any of the slant cylinder Stihls. I have no idea how in the heck they took a design as simple to work on as a 090 and flubbed it up with the slant cylinders. They are a nightmare.

I had a rancher model 44 or something that was a bear to start 40 or so years ago. Also had a big Stihl bow saw that I was scared of. My father had a cheap homeowner Stihl he bought during Stihl days. I’m sure it was the cheapest one made. He took it back numerous times and it was a lemon.

Hey I have one of those that frustrates me. What’s up with yours?
It was a nonrunner "just needing a carb clean" but going through the carb several times to make sure I'm getting everything hole/passage sprayed out and back together, runs pretty good seems a little fussy on wanting flood easily. So with that, the metering lever was set way too high on the WT29 carb per research it should be .063" under level with the base. Compression is right at 130, all diaphragms are soft and pliable. So I have a carb kit on order to eliminate the wrong spring and needle valve assembly.
Was running it would accelerate and idle like it should and thinking I had it licked twice now. Next day would not start fire without drying plug etc. So until I know the last guy didn't put in the wrong spring, that's where I will focus to rule that out. Then its further opening up and testing seals etc.
Does have a CJ8 plug with great fire but calls for a RCJY7, doubt that's an issue but who knows. Dont have alot of Stihl experience but the old ones I have refurbished did seem very sensitive on the low idle setting vs other saws I usually take on.

Latest posts

Back