Is this a ported 660?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's the backcut all the inexperienced wood cutters use in Northern California. They start the backcut high an angle it down at about a 45*. They think it will wedge much easier, but end up praying for it to just go down.

Rule of thumb........Never lift a tree to set into the undercut......that's where all the work begins!

AKA "Slopping Back Cut"

Exactly. If you bust up a couple of those for no good reason you'd probably get to go home early. And stay there.:laugh:

One of the worst chewing outs I ever got from my old man was when he was teaching me to cut, and I slabbed out a big chunk of the butt on a 40" Ponderosa.

I learned many new words that day.

Anybody know who's felling this Sugar Pine?

images-1_zps4a0cb481.jpeg

Last edited:
man, so much to learn. I try to tell Kari Im reading to learn, but she is adament that there is no excuse for the time I spend on here.:bang:

Isn't that from when Marky and Gypo went down to your place?

Yep!......Gypo was suppose to video it. Ran off way before it started to go and didn't get anything but this photo. I cut the undercut for Marky, and BTW it dropped out without having to beat on it and no dutchmans. They were both freaked out after it went down!.......Hahahahahaha!

Good deal...I knew it couldn't have been Gypo because I don't think he used a helmet until his mishap a couple of years ago.

Yeah GologitBob......you'd a backbarred in a sheepshank and then beat on like in the other video......only took him 15minutes. :hmm3grin2orange:

Yeah GologitBob......you'd a backbarred in a sheepshank and then beat on like in the other video......only took him 15minutes. :hmm3grin2orange:

No...he did alright but I think I would have backed it up just a tad bit higher. Man, I got tired just watching him beat on that thing. I kept waiting for his partner to yell something like "what are doing over there, building a house?"

GoBob!......You still wearing those felt hats and high stumpin?:msp_w00t:

spmall.jpg

No more felt hats...can't find one anywhere. High stumping? Every time I can get away with it. :D Besides, I heard you left some stumps off the R-Line that were so high they had to paint them red and put a flashing light on the top so the airplanes wouldn't hit them.

That's a good picture. The guys that complain that their 460 is too heavy ought to try out a rig like those two boys have. Can you tell what kind of saw that is?

Looks like a Mall model 7. The model 7 is a beast with just the power head weighing around 130 pounds.

130 pounds? That's about what I weighed when I first went to the woods. The only two man rigs I ever ran were the handlebar Macs...I don't remember the model number. For the first couple of years I was on the dumb end anyway. :msp_rolleyes:

Latest posts

Back