Is this a RARE saw like Im being told?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RED-85-Z51

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I know a man who has this saw, he says he thinks it is pretty rare...but Im a little skeptical.

It is a McCulloch Silver Eagle. It is gas powered, something like 50cc's or more.

Case is silver in Color, spotless, no scratches, used once or twice. Has case and McCulloch 20" bar.

He says it has an Alipina Engine. It sounds great, cranks right up, with gobs of compression.

Idles like a dang cammed 383...:bowdown:

He wants 200 for it.

IF it's not rare, is it worth it?

Rare? I don't know-not terribly common but I do not know if it has any significant collector value. A very clean,modern 50cc saw might be worth $200...if it were a current model I'd say yeah....but being a Mac........... In this case it just depends upon you-how much do you want it?

Mac

It's just a MAC 610---- here is a quote from an earlier post "The saw has been rebadged a zillion times.. among other names, you'll find it listed as an Eager Beaver 3.7, Silver Eagle, and a Timber Bear.".... Hope this helps

for $200 you can get a Stihl or husky saw that will outdo the heck out of the Mac, and have parts available. for those newer macs the most i would pay is about $40 in mint condition. you could probly find a nice used Stihl 036 or 044 for that money.

It's not a 610, or a TimberBear, Ive got one of Each. Worked on a bunch of 3.7's, and Eager Beavers...not like this one.

It is a front muffler saw, which I guess would make it a Verticle Cylinder.

He owns a large repair shop in town and is a good friend. He called me up as soon as he got it. Says he's never seen another one like it.

He has the original chain that came off it, but he put on some fancy chain...3/8 Full Chisel and something else.

He blew through a 18" log. Saw never bogged, and it threw out matchsticks!

It looks good and runs great...Im thinking about!

Id never own a Stihl...YUCK

Never liked em!

Used and worked on an old Stihl 08S...what a heap!

Used a pair of 044's, too bulky for my taste, decent power, but not for me.

Used an 066, which ran great, but again, too heavy to use for 30 minutes straight, plus it broke just like every other saw out there. The brake handle cracked at the bottom, which I replaced myself, at a cost of 75 bucks..:jawdrop:

Had an 029 I tried out, and it lacked power with a 18" bar, bogged in the trees if I put pressure to it.

My current collection includes.

McCulloch Pro-Mac 610, TimberBear, Mac 110, Poulan Wild Thing (42cc 18"), Homelite XL (1978), Poulan 306A, Poulan 2300, Poulan XXV, Wizard B0-8, Remington Mighty Mite Bantam.

All run, with the exception of the Remington, which is finicky, and the 306-A, which needs a muffler.

I can take names with the Big McCullochs. Ive also added a McCulloch FR4618, which is complete, but needs a couple small parts, including the Oiler line, and intake rubber boot.

It's not like I need another saw...but it's just sitting there...NOT in my shed...I need to fix that!

RED-85-Z51 said:
I know a man who has this saw, he says he thinks it is pretty rare...but Im a little skeptical.

It is a McCulloch Silver Eagle. It is gas powered, something like 50cc's or more.

Case is silver in Color, spotless, no scratches, used once or twice. Has case and McCulloch 20" bar.

He says it has an Alipina Engine. It sounds great, cranks right up, with gobs of compression.

Idles like a dang cammed 383...:bowdown:

He wants 200 for it.

IF it's not rare, is it worth it?

Maybe it's a Titan 50 thse came out as Double Eagles and Silver Eagles.

McBob.

It Does resemble the newer style saws, with the cover up top over the carb...and a rear mounted choke...but it is not a little saw, it is quite large.

Is it possible that it came with an Alpina Engine? What is Alpina?

It is like new though. Clearly not used, not remanufactured.

The engine idled like a Rotax Seadoo engine I heard last week. Like a 4 stroke with alot of cam overlap. The saw jerked at idle in your hand, lots of compression. Immediate throttle response too.

RED-85-Z51 said:
It Does resemble the newer style saws, with the cover up top over the carb...and a rear mounted choke...but it is not a little saw, it is quite large.

Is it possible that it came with an Alpina Engine? What is Alpina?

It is like new though. Clearly not used, not remanufactured.

The engine idled like a Rotax Seadoo engine I heard last week. Like a 4 stroke with alot of cam overlap. The saw jerked at idle in your hand, lots of compression. Immediate throttle response too.

Red looking at your posts its obvious you want that saw. Price means little if you really want something. You can replace your money. The way you speak of that saw its very rare. You may not get another chance at one so buy it...

THALL10326 said:
Red looking at your posts its obvious you want that saw. Price means little if you really want something. You can replace your money. The way you speak of that saw its very rare. You may not get another chance at one so buy it...

I do want it..but not if it is some standard run of the mill saw...IVe got enough of them.

Ive never seen a silver gas powered mac until that day, and havent seen once since...but macs are getting harder and harder ot find since the great parts shortage started.

I tossed a perfectly good running MAC 140 with case a few months ago..1 pull starter, revved way up, had a good bar and chain, no scratches...the clutch drum had spun off the sprocket.. Iwas told it was NLA..now I know it is available, and quite cheap...go figure.

If I got this saw, I would clean it up, drain the gas and oil, put it in the case, and put it in the back of the shop here...

It's like my old Wheel Horse LGT..Too nice to use! Id pull it out every few months and crank it up, keep the fuel line wet:greenchainsaw: But it would have to be a special occasion to use it.

Ive got enough working saws...If I could find a set of TIMBERBEAR decals, Id retire that one, and just use the PM 610 as a big saw.

The SE just looked like an oddball saw..but if it is one of those saws that was MAC last ditch efforts at sales, Ill pass.

Welp

Seems your looking for a reason to get it regardless. I say since you say it looks great and runs great get it. Hell I got 20 Stihl's out in my shed, all run fine and still went and bought a new 441 yesterday. Didn't need it, I wanted it so in the shed she is. That saw your speaking of sounds like a good saw so if it were me and I liked the looks of it and liked how it ran it too would be in the shed.......GET THAT SAW RED, you know you want it.........

THALL10326 said:
Seems your looking for a reason to get it regardless. I say since you say it looks great and runs great get it. Hell I got 20 Stihl's out in my shed, all run fine and still went and bought a new 441 yesterday. Didn't need it, I wanted it so in the shed she is. That saw your speaking of sounds like a good saw so if it were me and I liked the looks of it and liked how it ran it too would be in the shed.......GET THAT SAW RED, you know you want it.........

Im going out to his shop tomorrow to look at a little 6hp Racing engine...Ill ask him if he will still let me have it at 200...

All depends on what he wants for the little racing engine. If he wants a buch for it, Il lhave to hold off on the saw for a bit...

Man I hope the engine he has is th one I think it is..
Looking for a Kohler XKE6 Racing Kart engine. They claim 6hp @ 6800 RPM, but it puts out well over 8...:jawdrop: List price is over 450, he says he thinks he can do it for book or better..:clap: if it is the one Im thinking of.

If I get the saw, or if he still has it at his shop, Ill post back. If I get a better look at it, and see some flaws, or anything...Ill pass. I need to get my newest saw out of the dang box and get it going. It is a big MAC too.:greenchainsaw:

When you come home with it

Post some pics of that saw your going to get tomorrow, I want to see that thing.

THALL10326 said:
Post some pics of that saw your going to get tomorrow, I want to see that thing.

Not going to get the saw..just to check out the racing engine. I wont even bring cash if he does have the saw..helps prevent impusle buying:dizzy:

I know the coolest part of it was that when it ran..it ran with presense...

Ive never seen people take notice when a saw was fired since I helped start an old Wright Saw..:bowdown:

When you rev it up it sounds indy car like...

RED-85-Z51 said:
Not going to get the saw..just to check out the racing engine. I wont even bring cash if he does have the saw..helps prevent impusle buying:dizzy:

Ive never seen people take notice when a saw was fired since I helped start an old Wright Saw..:bowdown:

Don't forget your Visa. I want to see lots of pics of that Indy sounding saw.

RED-85-Z51 said:

I have a Wright C-70 that I need a carb for.. THALL if I can get a carb I'll make a sound bite for ya..

Its a Carter NRD

Last edited:
04ultra said:
I have a Wright C-70 that I need a carb for.. THALL if I can get a carb I'll make a sound bite for ya..

I don't have a clue where I can get one for ya. You need to find some old time saw shop in some state thats a long time mom and pop outfit. Some shop somewhere has that carb but I have no clue where to search. Put a ad in the paper and see what happens.......

The Wright saw I worked on, then fired off had a large Tillotson carb, and no muffler. Just a spark arrestor over the port. No clutch, and no idle or kill switch. If you released the trigger it killed the engine, by design.

Pretty stout little bugger too. Had been rebuilt..

It was on the floor.

1 Man pulling the rope, 1 man holding the trigger, and 1 man holding the saw itself. It was a real monster!

At full throttle it had a solid 5" blue and orange flame out the glowing spark screen...

Hey thall, Im currently without digi-cam...so pics are doubtful.

Ive got a whole collection of saws and old LGT's...but no way to share em.

Even if I had a cam, my computer is devoted to internet (its really really fast) and has no capacity to accept the software for a cam.

When I get a new comp (which will be soon) Ill get a cheap digi-cam, and watch out, Ill crash the whole net posting pics!:rockn:

RED-85-Z51 said:
The Wright saw I worked on, then fired off had a large Tillotson carb, and no muffler. Just a spark arrestor over the port. No clutch, and no idle or kill switch. If you released the trigger it killed the engine, by design.

Pretty stout little bugger too. Had been rebuilt..

It was on the floor.

1 Man pulling the rope, 1 man holding the trigger, and 1 man holding the saw itself. It was a real monster!

At full throttle it had a solid 5" blue and orange flame out the glowing spark screen...

Hey thall, Im currently without digi-cam...so pics are doubtful.

Ive got a whole collection of saws and old LGT's...but no way to share em.

Even if I had a cam, my computer is devoted to internet (its really really fast) and has no capacity to accept the software for a cam.

When I get a new comp (which will be soon) Ill get a cheap digi-cam, and watch out, Ill crash the whole net posting pics!:rockn:

hahaha, okkkkkkkkkkk. Tomorrow you get the saw, the cart motor, a new computer and a new digital camera. Its only money or Visa, either one will do. I'll be looking for saw pics tomorrow nite..........

Back