Is this a Stihl 066 or 064, I.D.? Crack in Crankcase!, Help / advice !!! (pic heavy)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

r0858

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hello all, I have a stihl 066 or a stihl 064. I can not ID which one it is. But i did writhe the serial number down, it is 122058766. Can any one tell me year and model from this? I didn't take off the clutch drum to see how the oil pump mounted. I also have a crack in the crank case (see pictures). The saw runs like new, with no flaws. There is no pressure coming from the crackcase. Can I have this thing tig welded with 1/8" magnesium tig welding rod?? Or what other options do I have besides replacing the crank case. Need to fix this on on the cheap if I can. If I have to replace the case I might as well do a total rebuild, and that is more than I am mechanically inclined to do. I have never split a case before. There is a guy in my area that does chainsaw work, however he quotes one price, and by the time he's finished it more than he quoted (like to stay away from those)! I hear $40 per hour is a good rate, but 6 hours is $240 in just labor.... But any way, Does anyone have a service manual? Please give me any suggestions that may help fix this crack in the crankcase, and any ID information. Thanks in advance.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

It can be tigged, but the only real fix is a crankcase.

They are well worth puttin money into....

Last edited:

It can be tigged, but the only real fix is a crankcase.

They are well worth puttin money into....

Should I go back with a 064 crankcase, or a 066/660 crank case?
This is a "new to me saw"
I just ran it today, and it performs better than my newer 660's.

Should I go back with a 064 crankcase, or a 066/660 crank case?
This is a "new to me saw"
I just ran it today, and it performs better than my newer 660's.

Is the crack leaking oil? If it's not leaking oil, then you don't need to fix it. Just run it.

That crack looks low enough to me that it may not be in the actual oil tank portion of the case, only the front webbing.

If it's not in the oil tank section of the case, then it doesn't need fixed. If ain't broke, don't fix it.

Is the crack leaking oil? If it's not leaking oil, then you don't need to fix it. Just run it.

That crack looks low enough to me that it may not be in the actual oil tank portion of the case, only the front webbing.

If it's not in the oil tank section of the case, then it doesn't need fixed. If ain't broke, don't fix it.

No there is no oil leak. How can i guess-timate what section the crack is on. If it is low in the oil tank where there is no pressure, Ill just put some JB weld on it. It runs perfect, I bought it from a guy who was trying to sell it, when I noticed the crack, the price was cut in half.

Latest posts

Back