Is this a tree disease (or infestation) ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paloverde

Reaction score
I need help!

Recently my palo verde tree has developed some strange "symptoms". I have no experience with trees or their diseases, so I don't know if this is "normal" or if it needs attention.

Some months ago I noticed some "scale" developing in scattered areas on the limbs. Some of these are pinpoint, some are linear, some are diffuse and discrete in appearence. The highest concentration of these are at the "joints" of the branches. I looked carefully at these - but did not see any insects, so I thought it might be part of the "growth" process that was producing defects in the "bark" of the tree.

I have noticed now that there are "missing" areas" of bark that are "fresh" in appearance. Again these are both pinpoint and linear in appearance - but not necessarily in the exact location as the "scale". (although a lot is). It almost looks like a bird has been eating the bark or looking for insects. Again I have looked and could not find anything that looks like an insect. Today I noticed that there is sap flowing into many (but not all) of these "defects".

Should I be worried? It could be my imagination, but the tree looks "less green" and perhaps not as "healthy" as it has in the past. (then again it is winter - even here in Arizona)

Thanks in advance for any help on this "problem".

Scale is an insect that sucks form the vascular tissue under the barl. They form a waxy armour with their secretions. (Shelac comes from an Indian variety). The can cause economic damage to trees. I'm not familliar with this plant or your area though.

small holes that tale on a linier form would be sapsucker damage in WI.

Your best bet is to call a tree service that performs Palnt Health Care services (PHC). Scale is hard to tread many times and requires special products if at an infestation level.

Latest posts

Back