Is this evergreen in distress?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

siearly

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I'm sorry but I don't know what kind of tree this is but there seems to be more yellow this year than in the past. Do I have a bug or disease and how should I treat it? This is a beautiful tree I'd hate to lose.

Thanks,photo 1.JPG photo 2.JPG

Looks like a Chamaecyparis (False cypress, weeping nootka). Lack of moisture would be my first guess. If you have decent soil and getting adequate sunlight you should be OK, few issues with these trees.
Thanks so much. It get plenty of both water and sun. Glad to hear it is nothing major and this tree has few issues.

Keep removing dead needles out of center to promote air movement and lessen inoculum. Also it'll need light pruning to avoid conflicts with building etc. Hire a pro.

Could be spider mites??? They are a cool season pest, so are probably not around now, but caused damage in the fall/spring that you see as it heats up.

Looks like a Chamaecyparis (False cypress, weeping nootka). Lack of moisture would be my first guess. If you have decent soil and getting adequate sunlight you should be OK, few issues with these trees.
Yes the tree is home sick, put the tree back in Nootka sound here where we can get over 10'+ of rain annually and I'm sure it would do just fine...erm..at least until it met the teeth of my chain saw..lol.
Yes us "dumb" fallers just call them Yellow Cedar or Cypress
But yes its a Nootka false cypress as it looks. Appaently its wrongfully called a cedar but there are some hybrid species I understand. It is in the juniper family I also understand. with over 100 weeping variations.
Not so sure about bugs on these trees ? I have heard it has a natural pesticide and makes good bark mulch?
They go through nature shedding on a three year cycle and if the tree was shocked due to flooding or drought it can posible be shedding for two year or in other words twice as much as it wouldn't shead on its proper cycle
I read somewhere that someone claimed every second year their tree goes through this?
I agree, its was drought as it would have a shallow roots for a feeding system.
Just my two cents, but I'll take it from you pros
Thanks

Latest posts

Back