Is This HBRN?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
From the treehugger trail forum about timber falling. He writes better than HBRN, but timber falling is a snap. Somebody put up a picture of some high stumps that were slant cut (but I think they were fairly small) as a bad example of trail work. The following was the wisdom from a poster.

I have seen that before when logging. Had a logout job at 3000 feet slated for early april one year, I forget which, and normally there would be only a little snow left, but this year there were tons, but we were forced to go in and log it anyways. We decided to cut all the trees down, leave them for a month while the snow melted. What was left looked almost identical to the picture above a month later except over a hundred acres.

It looks to me that those who cut them knew what they were doing or close enough as it would appear they were felled in winter or far more likely early spring in deep snow when putting in the new trail and someone forgot to go back and finish the job. Looks about average height of snow depth in early spring for Mailbox Peak. Only time I go up mailbox. Save the knees on the way down as one gets to glissade nearly all the way down. WOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooo.

Anyways, someone forgot to finish. Give some kids a sharp axe and let them learn on something harmless to finish the job.

PS. Falling evergreen trees on a hillside is lead pipe simple as there is only a small direction they can fall. It ain't uphill for 99.9% of them. Its those deciduous trees on flat ground that grow haphazardly in all directions that are problem children. They are quite often rotten and barberchair unlike softwood trees. Alder
curse.gif

Nate mail box is in north bend on dnr land it is in a nrca and the work was contracted out and some wcc crews helped out i think it was mostly machine built but i wasent involed so im not shure the new trail jest opened up not long ago it was a big deal olyimpia level involed

Perhaps it is his literate evil twin?

I doubt it. I don't think he's a logger either. Using the word "glissade" gave him away. He might be one of those guys that set chokers for a week twenty five years ago, never went back to it, but still talks about his career as a logger.

Would you really fall all that timber, then leave it for a month?

That's not very long. Snowfall happens. But most loggers who log in the higher elevations where snow happens will try not to let the cutting get that far ahead. I have seen the rigging crew work in waist deep snow, and since I also had to wallow in it, can say it is a LOT of work. Much to my surprise, they generally found all the logs under that snow and did not need to return. I also could wear snowshoes if there was enough snow on top of the logs to cover the limbs. I don't consider snowshoeing to be fun either.

Logs have been left out much longer when the market collapses. I know of one area that was abandoned when the recent collapse happened and the helicopter company blew an engine and went out of business. The logs were paid for in advance, so the public lost no revenue, but what a waste--unless they did go back in.
I'll have to mosey up there one of these days and see.

I do not think that poster has ever actually logged or worked in the woods.

Well if Olympia was involved as Schmuck.k stated anything is possible. ( Olympia being our fine state capital).

When I worked for Champion in the mid-90's, they had a policy in Kapowsin country where they didn't cut above I think 1500 ft from November to March or something like that. When one of our rare ice storms clobbered us in Jan 1997, we had to punch out all of the roads to our inventory stands because nobody was gonna do it for us for another 3 months and the contract wasn't going to last that long. 20/20 hindsight would have had us doing the contract over 2 summers instead of a single year. Ah, well, live and learn. What I'm getting at though is that loggerfolk hereabouts aren't unfamiliar with getting snowed out and nobody would just "forget" to finish a job.

Would you really fall all that timber, then leave it for a month?
My Dad said back in the handfalling days it was not uncommon for the cutters to be a year ahead of the logging. I myself remember Anderson & Middelton having timber cut for a year or more. One place even two years. Of course that was 45 years ago and they were old school to boot.
During the 80s when G T Anderson got in all that trouble about stealing timber and went belly up there were FS units that were cut and never logged or at least part of the units rotted. By the time the units were resold the down timber was rotten . Unit just down the road had about 10 acres cut and never touched. FS put up no woodcutting signs so even though it was along the road it rotted.

I do not recall bugs getting into the wood as fast as they do now. I don't know if that's a new thing, or if it is that smaller, second growth is more attractive to beetles than the thicker barked old growth.

I've seen some stuff that was done quickly for whatever reason be left with high stumps, especially on smaller timber, if your just trying to clear ground and get the trees out of the way, then grade has a back seat. The Oso slide comes to mind, couple a few folks decided waiting on permits and right of ways was just too much and had a road blazed in about 3 days, graveled and paved within a week... just about every stump on that road was waist high or better.

Difference being that everyone was directionaly fell and had a humbolt with a table top flat back cut.

They shall remain nameless...

Latest posts

Back