Is this jug worn out or what?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DSS

Cowshot
Reaction score
attachment.php

It's very smooth inside, no scoring at all, but it looks like the plating is worn through? Or what am I seeing? The dark parts wont come off. I hope these pics are good enough.

It's off a 970 pioneer if that makes any difference.

Hard to tell from picts Chris, the way I measure a cylinder is take a new ring and insert it, square it with the piston up just above the exhaust port and measure the end gap. .009 is real good-.012 starting to get sloppy. A new piston should show .003 -.004 clearance at the skirt. Then there is the bore gauge but first you need one, I can send you one over.
Pioneerguy600

Last edited:
Good thread.

I have an 044 that is very nice cosmetic shape, but can only get around 120 psi compression.

Flex honed the cylinder, thew in some new rings, and am still only getting 120 psi.

I'll try the ring gap measurement technique, and see how it turns out.

Kinda stinks. It's a 10mm wrist pin and the cylinder looks great.

I don't get the horizontal black lines, is what got me confused I guess. This saw sat for a very long time. I was just wondering if it was worth saving, I don't need it for anything right now. I'm pretty sure I can get a bore gauge from our shop Jerry, but thanks for the offer.

Just looks odd.

The plating in the bore can discolor like that and still be good.

Think about the exhaust pipes on a motorcycle.

Good thread.

I have an 044 that is very nice cosmetic shape, but can only get around 120 psi compression.

Flex honed the cylinder, thew in some new rings, and am still only getting 120 psi.

I'll try the ring gap measurement technique, and see how it turns out.

Kinda stinks. It's a 10mm wrist pin and the cylinder looks great.

Have you checked the squish?

How does it run?

I had an early 044 with compression in the upper 120's that screamed until a friend straight gassed it.

Chris it's kinda hard to tell in the pictures but I rebuilt an XL-Super 2 that looked allot like that cylinder. The hardened chrome was discolored around the exhaust port but didn't have any peeling. After new rings pulled cold at around 140. Ran O.K, nothing to write home about. Clean her up and use Jerrys recommendation on ring gap. He has forgot more about saw than I will ever know.

:laugh:

:givebeer:

Have you checked the squish?

How does it run?

I had an early 044 with compression in the upper 120's that screamed until a friend straight gassed it.

I gave the saw a try cutting wood this past Saturday.
It starts easily, but dies in the cut.
Pulled off all the rubber this morning and found the fuel line has collapsed.
Ordered all new rubber from a local Stihl dealership.

I did check the ring gap. It is between .028 mm and .024 mm.

Do I need to re-flex hone the cylinder. Not even a 1/4 of a tank of fuel through the last hone job?

Thanks.

I gave the saw a try cutting wood this past Saturday.
It starts easily, but dies in the cut.
Pulled off all the rubber this morning and found the fuel line has collapsed.
Ordered all new rubber from a local Stihl dealership.

I did check the ring gap. It is between .028 mm and .024 mm.

Do I need to re-flex hone the cylinder. Not even a 1/4 of a tank of fuel through the last hone job?

Thanks.
I wouldn't rehone. That plating is real thin.Once it's gone that's it.
Wait for the new rubber.

I wouldn't rehone. That plating is real thin.Once it's gone that's it.
Wait for the new rubber.

Will do.

I have a very nice condition 359 that I threw a new piston/rings/cylinder/cylinder gasket in a few days ago. Compression was only 110 psi after the rebuild and it runs terribly.

Rats, another one of these? I'm guessing now is a good time to learn how to use the pressure/vacuum pump that's been sitting in the garage?

Back