Is this oak going to make it?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SectorB

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I moved a 5' swamp white oak to the front yard of my house that was pretty well established. When it was dug out of the ground the tap root got cut to about 1 foot, it was previously 4 feet long. Will the tap root grow or should I just throw the tree away?

As immature trees, saplings require a vigorous tap root to establish (Oaks more so than other trees). Eventually dependence on the tap root diminishes as the tree starts growing roots that travel out laterally with in the top 2-3 of the soil profile.

Your tree may be at the point where the lateral roots are of more significance. Your description is vague, What was the total dimensions of the root ball? If done correctly the dimensions should be approx. 24" deep x 90" in diameter. Was your root ball only 1 foot deep?! If so I way worry.

If you are still worried about your tree make sure the root flare is at grade, and make sure its well watered (not over watered).

Send pictures that show the flare

You might try...

some transplanting chemical like Vitamin B, Rootone, Superthrive, etc. Jovary is right on the mark. Maybe you could try some shade cloth to get it through the summer.

Last edited:
Well it has gone into a major shock. All the leaves fell off of it since Sunday. The leaves were green when they fell off. I talked to a local arboretum and they said the tree is more than likely doomed.

I think I am better off buying a tree or starting over from an Acorn. I know the township will give me an oak, but I am now gun shy since I'd have to plant it from their fresh dig.

Not so fast...

Wait for the branches to dry out and become brittle before you give up... it could come back!! :popcorn:Go out and have a beer with it and maybe share some kind words :cry:I love ya man, you can do it!! Or else:greenchainsaw:!!!

When did you transplant this tree and what has the weather been like? You say it is 5'...I was taking that to mean 5' tall. How big around is the trunk?

A cut tap root can branch out much like a heading cut on a limb with a multitude of smaller roots taking off. Obviously the younger and smaller the tree, the better the transplanting success.

An old method of precluding transpiration and thereby excess stress on a tree transplanted in leaf is to remove the leaves. And some newly transplanted plants can look awful the first year as everything gets sorted out.

So I agree with Marty to wait and be sure the tree is dead before giving up. If you are willing to start over from an acorn, exercising patience for a season shouldn't be out of the ballpark.

Sylvia

I'll disagree with woodweasels posting of the myth. I tried an experiment on a landscape I installed years ago and planted a number of shads. They came almost bare root so I tried the Fertilome Root Stimulator on a few, hoping it would help them along. About two months later, it was obvious which ones got the stimulator and which did not. I even asked someone to identify the "healthy" trees and all of them came back as the ones that got the product. My opinion from experience says it works and at the very least, it can't hurt. Keep the tree watered and let it get over the shock of transplanting. BTW, ever seen a large oak in the nursery with a 4' taproot? No, you haven't and they live. Don't worry. Water it well and give it a month before you give up. And don't be shy about the root stimulator.

I will leave the tree in and see what happens. I will buy some root stimulator tomorrow and give it a shot. Everything I have looked up on oaks say it is a hard tree to transplant so I will keep my fingers crossed and hope for the best. I'll keep you posted.

Thanks for the advice

So the first tree had the leaves fell off and the tree died. But now I have one planted in the same spot that was given to me by the village. It too started off green and healthy, It had a 3 foot root ball and the tap root. I have watered it like instructed and now this is happening to it. I don't want to lose another tree. Is this just shock or am I screwed again? It hasn't been above 80 since the tree has been planted and the nights are in the 50's. This is in the Chicago area. This tree was planted 2 weeks ago.

Here is the tree:
img1252603552243-1.jpg

This tree was planted 2 weeks ago.

Here is the tree:
img1252603552243-1.jpg

Ok you planted the tree 2 weeks ago in August.

Due you know when the tree was B&B'd? (balled & burlaped )

August is a tricky time to transplant Oak Trees.

It was done the same day. I watched them dig it out of the ground because I picked it out. I was actually done on Sept 2nd, my mistake. The leaves still have some green to them and they aren't brittle. I covered the drip line in 2 in of mulch and water it twice a week.

Not sure why they would dig Oak Trees now, but

go back to your contacts and let them know your concern of tree browning up kind of early.

Post some more pics of the leaf and trunk/ground area.

attachment.php

Latest posts

Back