Is This Poison Ivy ???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lol I made that mistake on the weedeater. Tried to get rid of it like that but me being the dumbazz I am was wearing short's. the whole front of my leg's itched for seemd like days.
Sorry for straying from the original topic, but the worst itchy stuff I ever got into was sumac. Sweet mother..... I brushhogged a pipeline / powerline right of way about 2 miles x 100 ft and the sumac was head high. Had my arms resting on the fenders all day. They turned to leather and itched, bled, and burned like fire for 3 weeks. The dust got down my shirt and anywhere sweat and shirt made contact it ate me alive. Mid July 100+ heat. Most miserable summer of my life.

This is a good dose of it waiting to happen, The pics you shown must be young and not fully developed leaves. But it is poison ivy. The leaves are not as shiney and brown color when fully grown. Either one will make ya itch.

poisonivy.jpg

this thread made me itch....
I got into something this year already...got it on my back.. and then got it again.. the next time I mowed... then it hit me... i had the same problem a couple years ago... the oils got on my mower seat and when I mowed again i got re exposed... ( note to self... clean mower seat while wearing gloves) .. now I think I know where I got it... I am going to mix up my 30 gal sprayer with round up and go on the warpath.

Our 80+ yr. old neighbor lady got a bad case of it last year. She called me up and said to me, "Somethings wrong with me, could you come over?" sounding like she'd had a stroke. She had been out the day before pulling down 'vines' that hung over into her yard from the trees in the adjacent neighbors yard. She got it bad on the face and hands. Her lips were even swollen which is why she sounded odd on the phone. Her face looked like she had gone 10 rounds in a boxing ring! Not knowing for sure what had happened, but suspecting PI, we rushed her off to the hospital given her age and all the swelling. We called one of her sons to let him know what was going on and he met us at the hospital. Even with two prescriptions it took at least 5-6 days for the swelling to subside.

Shari

That stuff gets into my blood stream and I break out all over with what looks like a heat rash. Got to get the shots as nothing else will work. Takes me about 3 weeks to get past it, meantime I would like to be a snake and shed my skin. Just found a new patch last night, most likely the stuff that got me twice last summer and fall, buried in an overgrown lilac bush with some other young trees and such (which of course belongs to the neighbor). just the right height to get whiped by it when mowing lawn on garden tractor. Never saw it last year I was looking , to well concealed. That whole mess is going to get real sick shortly.

I have been told that Afgan goats eat it like candy. I personally fail to see the humor in being the only species that gets it. Perhaps it is natures way of telling us that we are just too wimpy to be in the wild.

I have been told that Afgan goats eat it like candy. I personally fail to see the humor in being the only species that gets it. Perhaps it is natures way of telling us that we are just too wimpy to be in the wild.

On the contrary, I think we need to find uses for the stuff.
There needs to be a market for the stuff, so folks will steal it out of my farm fields LOL!!

Maybe some sort of Green friendly organic bio-weapon used for less lethal area denial?

Arial spraying terrorist training camps at night with the stuff, and then arresting anyone trying to buy calamine the next week..

Spray rioters with the stuff, that way they will NOT participate in riots again?

The evil weed has got to be usefull for something other than inspiring new Cuss words LOL!!

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

On the contrary, I think we need to find uses for the stuff.
There needs to be a market for the stuff, so folks will steal it out of my farm fields LOL!!

Maybe some sort of Green friendly organic bio-weapon used for less lethal area denial?

Arial spraying terrorist training camps at night with the stuff, and then arresting anyone trying to buy calamine the next week..

Spray rioters with the stuff, that way they will NOT participate in riots again?

The evil weed has got to be usefull for something other than inspiring new Cuss words LOL!!

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

That's pretty mean, but won't work since it doesn't affect humans uniformly. If the wind changes, the applicators would have it applied to them. And if it turned out to have some wonderful medical application Bayer wouldn't go to the trouble of picking it out of the woods and hedges, they'd farm it and there would be more of it than ever. What I'd like is some sort of Pocket Shot (tm) sprayer that I could carry with me on my walks so that whenever I saw PI -- and it's EVERYWHERE -- I could KILL it. The Pocket Shot would be leakproof and dripless and have 15 or 20 doses of something that would kill the whole plant even if applied only to one leaf.

The problem -- for me, anyway -- is that not everybody is allergic, or as allergic as I am. If everybody reacted like I did there would be a bounty on it. Sorry, birds.

Jack

That's pretty mean, but won't work since it doesn't affect humans uniformly. If the wind changes, the applicators would have it applied to them. And if it turned out to have some wonderful medical application Bayer wouldn't go to the trouble of picking it out of the woods and hedges, they'd farm it and there would be more of it than ever. What I'd like is some sort of Pocket Shot (tm) sprayer that I could carry with me on my walks so that whenever I saw PI -- and it's EVERYWHERE -- I could KILL it. The Pocket Shot would be leakproof and dripless and have 15 or 20 doses of something that would kill the whole plant even if applied only to one leaf.

The problem -- for me, anyway -- is that not everybody is allergic, or as allergic as I am. If everybody reacted like I did there would be a bounty on it. Sorry, birds.

Jack

For a "Pocket shot" try a small garden sprayer and 2-4-D mixed a bit heavy and with some detergent added. I made a "Wiper" out of a paint roller for walks in the field. Just soak it down with the spray bottle a bit before the walk and cover it with a ziplock when done. Just a touch on a few leaves knocks 'em down at higher rates.

2-4-D is pretty safe as herbicides go. I wouldn't eat the stuff, but have let critters graze in pastures sprayed just a day earlier.

I know a gent that makes and markets O.C. spray, and will ask if he can put something in a spray can LOL!! He's likely to think I'm nuts, but what the heck LOL!!
Ya never know when PI will jump out and attack!

I get it bad as well. I'm sitting here with diprolene on the feet, from last weeks contact in some standing water while chasing irrigation leaks.

PI must DIE!!

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

How much can those Goats eat, and where do I get one?

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

For a "Pocket shot" try a small garden sprayer and 2-4-D mixed a bit heavy and with some detergent added. I made a "Wiper" out of a paint roller for walks in the field. Just soak it down with the spray bottle a bit before the walk and cover it with a ziplock when done. Just a touch on a few leaves knocks 'em down at higher rates.

2-4-D is pretty safe as herbicides go. I wouldn't eat the stuff, but have let critters graze in pastures sprayed just a day earlier.

I know a gent that makes and markets O.C. spray, and will ask if he can put something in a spray can LOL!! He's likely to think I'm nuts, but what the heck LOL!!
Ya never know when PI will jump out and attack!

I get it bad as well. I'm sitting here with diprolene on the feet, from last weeks contact in some standing water while chasing irrigation leaks.

PI must DIE!!

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Anybody who hates Poison Ivy as much as I do is my brother. The water vector is sneaky, eh. Friend of mine had a couple of girls visit from NY state. One of them wasn't feeling well and went upstairs for a nap. Long story short, rushed to the hospital. They had stopped somewhere for a break and had taken a dip in a pool, evidently lined with PI.

My Pocket Shot would be designed for clandestine urban warfare. When I walk the kids to school there are several hedges full of it, then there's the church landscaping.

Jack

Poison Ivy identification

The pictures are no longer available for viewing for whatever reason, but here is a big ID tip. Poison Ivy will always have 3 leaflets, not leaves. The entire compound leaf is the three leaflets. The 2 on the sides should be relatively the same size, while the middle one tends to be larger. The main identification point is that the petiolule of the center leaflet is much longer than that of the two side leaflets' respective petiolules. Poison Ivy's misidentified friends actually look nothing alike. Beware still because Poison Ivy will grow right there with other "look-alikes". Also, some people have allergies to Virginia Creeper.

Chris Francis
www.chrisfrancislandscapes.com
http://www.chrisfrancislandscapes.com

The pictures are no longer available for viewing for whatever reason, but here is a big ID tip. Poison Ivy will always have 3 leaflets, not leaves. The entire compound leaf is the three leaflets. The 2 on the sides should be relatively the same size, while the middle one tends to be larger. The main identification point is that the petiolule of the center leaflet is much longer than that of the two side leaflets' respective petiolules. Poison Ivy's misidentified friends actually look nothing alike. Beware still because Poison Ivy will grow right there with other "look-alikes". Also, some people have allergies to Virginia Creeper.

Chris Francis
www.chrisfrancislandscapes.com
http://www.chrisfrancislandscapes.com

Virginia creeper huh?
i have that crap growing amoungst my P.I. field where I farm Blueberrys.
I dunno if i hate one more than the other, on account of killing one involves dealing with the other, and they both kill my wallet.

I agree on misidentification. it's amazing how many folks think Blackberry looks like P.I. and freak out when I eat the leaves to make a point.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

If you can't kill poison ivy with round up, then you're not mixing it strong enough. Don't mess around with the stuff you find at your drug store or box store. Go to Lesco/JDL and buy their prosecutor. Mix at least 6oz per gallon and spray away. It will die.

If it's a big, thick vine, then cut it off about 2' above the ground and paint the stub with undiluted prosecutor concentrate.

I agree on misidentification. it's amazing how many folks think Blackberry looks like P.I. and freak out when I eat the leaves to make a point.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

That's a new one for me. My 4-year old knows the difference between boo-boo bushes and itch weed. (Come to think of it, he's known the difference since before his vocabulary was strong enough to express it. Hence boo-boo bush and itch weed :laugh: )

Which is more hated (by me)? Neither. Bittersweet takes the cake. Stuff's so prolific. :chainsaw:

Reminds me of locust.

Or potatoe chips - can't have just one!

I'm pretty sure I'm immune to poison ivy.

I know how to identify it, and am usually the first one to spot it.

That said, I've spotted it dozens, if not hundreds of times. I've never had a symptom, an have never headed to the shower with a bottle of simple green after I knew I was exposed. I feel sorry for you folks. I'm not flippant about it, but it really doesn't scare me.

Pete

Back