Is this proper trimming?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First chance I have had to respond. To answer a few questions. I am a California tree contractor. This is a condo complex in my city that I drive by all the time. When I Drove by the other day this is what I saw. I have been noticing this persons work more and more all at residential locations. Now I see this large commercial job. Well over 100 trees on this property all done the same way. Many different species. No doubt it is the same person. It is like his signature. I don't post much here. Honestly I posted this just to get real opinions to see if maybe I am wrong for being upset after seeing this. I myself am not an arborist. But I do not practice topping. Don't believe in it. I will not top a tree that has not previously been topped. That is just the way I do my own business and only my opinion.

This is where a little bit of knowledge can be a dangerous thing and one of the reasons the latest trend in reduction pruning has me concerned. From the pictures somebody knew enough to reduce to a node, but threw out entirely any standard of reducing to something that can become terminal. Many cuts are flush and will not compartmentalize well.
Those who are practicing reduction pruning properly will not leave a tree looking mutilated as those do.
When you say flush. Do you mean flush to the node??

First chance I have had to respond. To answer a few questions. I am a California tree contractor. This is a condo complex in my city that I drive by all the time. When I Drove by the other day this is what I saw. I have been noticing this persons work more and more all at residential locations. Now I see this large commercial job. Well over 100 trees on this property all done the same way. Many different species. No doubt it is the same person. It is like his signature. I don't post much here. Honestly I posted this just to get real opinions to see if maybe I am wrong for being upset after seeing this. I myself am not an arborist. But I do not practice topping. Don't believe in it. I will not top a tree that has not previously been topped. That is just the way I do my own business and only my opinion.

Are you thinking about how much money you can make being a better and cheaper hack than him?
Your call,,,sell yourself and it may work,,
Jeff

Are you thinking about how much money you can make being a better and cheaper hack than him?
Your call,,,sell yourself and it may work,,
Jeff
My opinion is. I Don't think what was done to these trees and property is an ethical practice. That said. Maybe that is a small testament to my not being a complete hack. Your throwing curve balls from left field my friend.

Just out of interest, did you see any spur marks on those stems?

Customer may have given instructions, ie - I want them all round 10m (30ft) high, can you get that done.

The real problem is probably that the tree is not the best for that location, grows to high.

How do you carry out the customers instructions without this brutal topping ?

It's an arborists job to discuss options with a client. "I'm just doing what the customer wants" is not an arboricultural saying

If you prune trees in this fashion you are a hack, if your boss instructs you and you prune trees in this fashion then you are a hack who works for a hack.

There's more to Arb than just cutting bits off, management plans and reductions designed to limit/redirect growth, regular pruning etc

The first step is the right tree in the right place

Know what yr saying treesmith, but lets say it's the 1st time yr seen the trees, what would you do given
his hypothetical instructions.

I mentioned the right tree for the right place, this hasn't happened here, we agree on that.

Again hypothetically - The reason the customer needs them drastically lowered is they are filling the spouts and rusting them out
causing $$$ maintenance bills on the units he is managing.

If you don't do it, he'll get someone else who will hack them worse than the pics by OP.

Pls educate me, where do I cut them to get them lower overall height.

Not trying to be a smartar** but appreciate a good work method.

Just out of interest, did you see any spur marks on those stems?
I'll be in that area again this week. Last time just drove by . Planned on doing a quick walk around this week. That was one thing going to look for.

Customer may have given instructions, ie - I want them all round 10m (30ft) high, can you get that done.

The real problem is probably that the tree is not the best for that location, grows to high.

How do you carry out the customers instructions without this brutal topping ?
Firstly the scope of this job is much different from a residential job. Secondly, this person did not top one or two trees. He topped an eco-system. And keep in mind I'm in California. I'll give you a very possible scenario with the scope of this job. Owner tells his property manager trees need to be trimmed they are getting to full or large. Or some broad instructions in nature. Now the manager is the acting agent for the owner. So he calls up OP. Keep in mind almost no customer will ever know the damage topping presents. Now. The owner walks by 2 months after and sees what the manager signed off on. Isn't happy, makes a couple phone calls to find out this is not a good practice. And thus a whole can of I could be out of business has just been opened. The contractor board is not here to protect a contractor. It is in place to protect the consumer. In the eyes of the board the contractor has an ethical responsibility to make sure the everyone involved fully understands every aspect of the job. Just my guess. Just speculation. I doubt this was done here or in most cases like this. So in my opinion to the question. You don'T. You walk away.
And to your hypothetical about the spouts rusting. Topping is only going to make it worse. Tree needs the foliage. You take it all off tree is going to try and replace it as fast as possible resulting in a growth explosion. Creating even more then what u removed. And creating a whole new bunch of problems to boot. Not a good idea. Again only my opinion and the guidelines I follow.

Know what yr saying treesmith, but lets say it's the 1st time yr seen the trees, what would you do given

I mentioned the right tree for the right place, this hasn't happened here, we agree on that.

Again hypothetically - The reason the customer needs them drastically lowered is they are filling the spouts and rusting them out

If you don't do it, he'll get someone else who will hack them worse than the pics by OP.

Scrub trees - removal. Self sown - removal. High value amenity trees, reduction over property and maintenance pruning to standard. Whatever is done should not be detrimental to the long term health and stability of the tree or you remove it.

getting grief as I'm playing cards with family :)

Pm sent

What are you gonna do? I mean what does the apartment manager know about trees? What does he care even? He just knows his boss was told there has been some complaining, some of it legit by the looks of it. They are concerned with keeping the buildings clear, they would probably like to just chop them all down anyway but then people would complain about that.

It looks like a better top job than most. The really big trees are not to shabby considering what could have been done, most of the wounding is done further out instead of on big support wood. So that is gooder I suppose. The roofs are clear and walkways are clear for pedestrian traffic.

My opinion is. I Don't think what was done to these trees and property is an ethical practice. That said. Maybe that is a small testament to my not being a complete hack. Your throwing curve balls from left field my friend.

Nah, not curve balls,,you have every right to feel the way you do, it shows you have ethic's.
Jeff :cheers:

Back