Is this Super 250 too far gone

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Its not looking pretty, that's for sure. If it was not my dads I probably would have gave up before I started. But I will at least try to clean it up and see what I have, probably cleaner scrap.:dizzy:

Find somebody that can glass bead it, then see what you have. It still might clean up good.

:cheers:
Mike

Find somebody that can glass bead it, then see what you have. It still might clean up good.

:cheers:
Mike

Was going to try sand and a wire brush, I will see if I can do bead blasting.

I would say that would be a waste of time. That thing has just too much corrosion.

Was it stored under water? In the hull of a boat? I haven't seen that much corrosion on a saw in a long time...

Gary

Believe it or not it was not a boat anchor, it sat in a shop that the roof caved in on a long time ago. The carb went bad and my dad just set it aside and always talked about fixing it. If I could either clean the gas and oil tank or find decent used ones how feasible is the rest of it? Ignition is shot, needs every gasket replaced, bearings, fuel lines, oilier parts, and clutch and sprocket. There is probably even more that I have not seen yet. The only good thing is the crank and cylinder i think might be usable. Am I just :deadhorse:

That looks like a headache to get running.

What about turning it into a static display? Paint it up nice and hang it above the bench. That would be cheap and fun plus you'd still have your Dad's saw.

Maybe I will try to find all the parts at once, already assembled and take my parts and scrap them. I pretty much need everything replaced anyway. Does anybody know if the bar will fit any other saws? I have the bow saw bar and chain for it and would love to see it in use. I don't think it will fit my 044 but I haven't tried it.

Well I would say that rebuilding that saw into a runner is a pretty tall order. As with anything man-made, it is repairiable. Just a function of how much time and money you want to sink into it. I would say you will have at least $250 into getting that saw into running shape. And that is counting on the fine folks here to set you up with some things you'll need. Super 250's are pretty good runners for that era of saw (see my avtar.) They are not as common as regular 250's, but they are not too hard to find. You need to decide how much $ you want to spend on it. You might want to find a regular MAC 200/250/300/380/450/550 to run for a few minutes. That should be enough to prove to you that you won't be running that saw very much even if you do rebuild it. I actually got frisky and felled a medium oak with my Super recently, but I bucked it with a newer saw.

Let my know if there is anything I can do to help you out. Even if it means taking that bow bar off your hands. :cheers:

This started out as a idea for a birthday present for my day witch is at the end of September. So I really want to get it running. But I think I am over my head. So for now I will try to take it all the way apart and attempt to clean it up. It will probably not end up anywhere but I want to say I tried. If my dad wasn't all ways telling me what a great saw it was I would have never even dug it out of its grave.

Im gonna give it a go, I dont have any other saws to work on at the moment. I am just going in with low hopes. People with a lot more experience than me are saying its to far gone, but if anything it may help for any future old saws I may acquire. I will keep posting my progress as I go. Worst case I will have a clean boat anchor right.

As was already said...even if you can never make a runner out of it you could still clean it up, give it a slick paint job and admire it's beauty. :givebeer:

Latest posts

Back