Is this Super 250 too far gone

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK I figured it out I think. I made a huge mistake!!!! I did replace the needle when I rebuilt the carb, but when going back over and reading Mark Mac car thread thats where my trouble started. I went off a friends advice and used Permetex ultra black to seal the diaphragm gasket holes. I woke up early this morning before I left to pull the carb apart and see and found jellified gasket maker. So I screwed it up. I am going to chalk it up to learning and start reading more about the materials I am using. I also noticed that the large welch plug didnt seem like it was sealing all the way. So my question is now, I was told by a mechanic at my local Stihl shop to use fingernail polish to seal welch plugs, could I use that or should I track down some of that Indian Head Gasket Shelac. I think that will fix my problems. I hope! I didnt get to use it today, but I did get to use my 044 that I rebuilt. It cut great. There are still two trees that are pushed over from wind on my friends property so as soon as I can get all the kinks worked out I will have a video of her cutting.

While it is always a pain to have to re-do anything, there are times when at least is it very gratifying to find a problem and be able to fix it.

Mark

I know its all part of the learning process but its an even bigger pain when your causing your own problems.:cheers:

I do my welch plugs dry, not too sure how well finger nail polish and Indian Head will hold up with todays fuel. That ethanol is not very nice.....

Found some Indian Head Gasket Shellac and fixed the carb as per Marks thread. Fired it up today started dry in about 5 pulls. And several hours later the air box is dry as a whistle. So tomorrow is the big day. Today was my boys first birthday and tomorrow is their party witch my father will be attending. So for the first time in 25 years my dad will hear and see it run. Im kinda exited, kinda like being a kid waiting for Christmas on Christmas Eve.

Found some Indian Head Gasket Shellac and fixed the carb as per Marks thread. Fired it up today started dry in about 5 pulls. And several hours later the air box is dry as a whistle. So tomorrow is the big day. Today was my boys first birthday and tomorrow is their party witch my father will be attending. So for the first time in 25 years my dad will hear and see it run. Im kinda exited, kinda like being a kid waiting for Christmas on Christmas Eve.

Once again, great job, glad that you stuck with it, tomorrow should be a fun day for you - Sam

I wonder how many times you will start it before the party just to make sure it will start when your dad gets there.:) I know I would have to do many test and might not even sleep good just thinking about it. Best of luck and I hope it your dad has a huge smile.

Thanks, I feel bad, I am more exited about that then the birthday party. But their birthday was today and I spent all day playing with them. On a side thought I just realized I bought a Tonka Truck for their birthday present witch is yellow and black. This yellow cad has penetrated my life deeper than even I realized LOL.

For the first time in 25 years my dad heard this Super 250 run. He honestly never thought that saw would run again. Unfortunately some of the surprise was mired by a recant knee surgery, but all together he was very pleasantly surprised. I wish he was able to stand a little longer so I could show him a little more of the saw, but he did hear it run and got a good close look at it. Biggest surprise was he let me take punctures. He is not big on cameras. All in all I was a good day, my twins first birthday party and got to show my dad his saw. Now I cant wait to get out and cut with it. As soon a I can get out to my friends I will take some video of it cutting.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Great pictures Brian. Your Dad looks great, never would have known anything about the knee except for the scars. Plenty of trees across the street, but I suppose you like where you live... Following this thread has been one of the pleasures that make life enjoyable. Thank you!

Was able to talk to my dad later after the party, and was asking him what he thought about the saw and told him after I got to do some test cutting I would bring it over. And he said "since you fixed it, you keep it hold on to it and pass it off you one of your kids". And then he said I never expected to see it run ever again. So this is a third generation saw now. Then he said that he had an old Mad string trimmer that he really liked and it ran until it got a hole in the fuel tank. And if I had time he wants me to look at it, and then told me he would put it in a bucket of water for a little while so it would be like the Super 250. I told him that was ok I rather not deal with the water damage this time.:clap:

Great pictures Brian. Your Dad looks great, never would have known anything about the knee except for the scars. Plenty of trees across the street, but I suppose you like where you live... Following this thread has been one of the pleasures that make life enjoyable. Thank you!

Thanks, I grabbed him as soon as he got out of the car and on the way to the door. The pics were kind of rushed so he could sit down. When his knee is all healed up we have some large oak trees to take down. One measures about 5 by 6 at the base, and there is another that is about 28 to 30in. at the base. I plan on having an army of saws with me.

Was able to talk to my dad later after the party, and was asking him what he thought about the saw and told him after I got to do some test cutting I would bring it over. And he said "since you fixed it, you keep it hold on to it and pass it off you one of your kids". And then he said I never expected to see it run ever again. So this is a third generation saw now.
That is really cool! ...:clap:...:cheers:...:clap:
Then he said that he had an old Mad string trimmer that he really liked and it ran until it got a hole in the fuel tank. And if I had time he wants me to look at it, and then told me he would put it in a bucket of water for a little while so it would be like the Super 250. I told him that was ok I rather not deal with the water damage this time.:clap:
Your dad sounds like quite a character. He would fit in nicely around here! :D

That really made my day. I did not find out until I was almost finished, but originally it was my grandfathers. He passed when I was still pretty young and didnt really have anything from him. So it really makes me very happy knowing where this saw came from and that it is running again. All in all better than Christmas!

PBR will grow hair where it belongs and I heard that it will remove it from your palms.

I found out where the the spikes went, they have been living under the seat of my wagon, it crapped out on my wife when she headed out to the PO.
I'll remedy that on Monday.

Back