Is this Super 250 too far gone

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My dad mixes PBR and Clamato. Well, some clamato and tomato juice. I tell him to drink a real beer, then you won't have make that PBR taste like something else. He says something about needing vegetables in his diet and to mind my own d!@# business. Randy, I'd never move that saw. I might have to make room in the fridge for that......stuff.

PBR=yuck, unless the weather is really hot and the beer is really cold.
Warm Oly=not fit for human consumption.

My dad mixes PBR and Clamato. Well, some clamato and tomato juice. I tell him to drink a real beer, then you won't have make that PBR taste like something else. He says something about needing vegetables in his diet and to mind my own d!@# business. Randy, I'd never move that saw. I might have to make room in the fridge for that......stuff.

PBR=yuck, unless the weather is really hot and the beer is really cold.
Warm Oly=not fit for human consumption.

Heretic!!!

the saw looks great reading this made me want one but i did find a 250 (not a super) for 20 bucks still got to see if i can get it. randy them ol yeller saws look mity nice with a pbr next to them :cheers:

Drinking PBR is one of the symtoms of Yellow Fever. Those who drink PBR and own no McCullochs, just haven't seen the light yet. They live a life of denial and delusion.

Now.............a fellow who doesn't want to be a member of the Super 250 Club (or wear that damn goose hat) would probably point out that the colors on the PBR can much more closely resemble those of Homelite Saws.........while yellow can Coors ('banquet beer'......ha) closely fits the Mac paint scheme. Since I do want to join the Super 250 Club...............you can rest assured that I am not pointing out the above color observations. I have always loved PBR, especialy when it's COLD. I think that's all my FIL (who's a great man) drinks...:givebeer:

Mark, sometimes symtoms are skipped or ignored and often enough, show up later. Just be happy that it isn't warm Oly like the Homelite guys drink.

Funny you say that. My old Homelite nut friend, who has more running/working OLD Homelite big-inch saws than anyone I know (with the possible exception of Bill G.........who doesn't cut wood for a living with them, unlike my friend) mostly drinks Coors Lite (silver bullets........yuck). It's often not cold, but I drink his beer without complaint, as the man (and the OLD IRON) more than makes up for the beer.:agree2:

When I bought my '67 Scout 800 from the widow of an Alcoholic former-Frenchman (a grand old guy), I cleaned out at least a dozen rusty old steel 8oz 'Lil Oly' cans from the floorboards. There were about a half-dozen wine bottles too. I saved one of the 'Lil Oly cans and will keep it with the Scout for all time...:cheers:

attachment.php

Darn good beer! My favorite, but no yellow saws yet. Been keeping my eyes open for one though.

Yeah, buts its been HOT lately. And beer is not to be blamed. Yellow saws still good, everythings OK, easy now, would post pictures but don't have any.

Don't have any of beer either, but soon there will be empty bottles nearby...

Sorry I kinda started the whole beer hijacking thing. But Friday I might be able to put the Super 250 in some wood and get a video or two. Then I will know for sure if it is finished or not.

Sorry I kinda started the whole beer hijacking thing. But Friday I might be able to put the Super 250 in some wood and get a video or two. Then I will know for sure if it is finished or not.

Best of luck Brian. I'm sure it will be fine. :)

Not having great luck today.:confused: Starter solenoid on my fathers tractor took a crap after it was just working 5 minuets ago, as well as the hydraulics didn't want to work. Couldn't get the tractor to start to figure out that problem. Then I put a tree to the ground to test out some saws. The Super 250 fired right up idled well and when I made my first cut it made it through but bogged down easily. I though it was just excessively rich so I made an adjustment and it got worse. No matter what I did it just would not throttle up well. Kinda had a blah sound to it. No power what so ever. It sounded like it was getting too much fuel but I couldn't adjust it out. But it would fire and idle fine. There was still a little gas leaking in the air box too, not a whole lot. Noticed it before I left and it looked like it was coming from the connection of the fuel line at the carb. Didn't really sound like an air leak to me because it wasn't over revving at all. Quite the opposite really. Does anybody have any suggestions on where to start looking? If I can get it running right before next weekend I will try again.:givebeer:

On some of my older homelites a too lean condition will keep the saw from pulling in wood even though it revs well without a load, just a thought.

I had tried adjusting it richer and leaner with no result, it sounded bad without a load. I took the carb apart and it looks to be the same problem I have been having. Those extra holes in the diaphragm. It seems to still be leaking around the diaphragm gasket, and not supplying fuel properly. Aside from finding a new diaphragm set I really dont know what to do. The indian head gasket shellac deteriorated in the gas. So for right now I am stuck. Everything else is ready to go. If I can get this carb issue fixed I will be cutting wood. Anny ideas or solutions?

I had tried adjusting it richer and leaner with no result, it sounded bad without a load. I took the carb apart and it looks to be the same problem I have been having. Those extra holes in the diaphragm. It seems to still be leaking around the diaphragm gasket, and not supplying fuel properly. Aside from finding a new diaphragm set I really dont know what to do. The indian head gasket shellac deteriorated in the gas. So for right now I am stuck. Everything else is ready to go. If I can get this carb issue fixed I will be cutting wood. Anny ideas or solutions?

For advice on fixing that Mac flatback I'll defer to the Mac experts here. If it was my saw, I'd lean towards converting it to a Tillotson HL series carb. May be another option...:popcorn:

My 550 was acting the same way, ran fine at idle and would rev up but then seemed to run out of fuel. I replaced the filter, pick up line, even installed new diaphragms and gaskets and no improvement.

I had to disassemble the whole carburetor including the large diameter expansion plug and free up the check valve underneath. It is possible that something passed through yours and is blocking the high speed circuit and/or the check valve.

I don't know enough about the internal circuits of the carburetor to know if it is possible to use carburetor cleaner through a port some where to free it up, or if you will have to disassemble the entire unit, again.

Mark

Thanks for that idea Mark. That will probably be my next step. Before I try that though I might try this. I am still having problems with the diaphragm gasket leaking by the fuel inlet. Everything I have used to seal those extra holes has dissolved from the ethanol, so I was thinking I still have some paper gasket material and a carb off of a parts saw that Mr. Bow Saw gave me. The gasket looks to be one of the older ones. So I was thinking I would cut two of them and sandwich the diaphragm and block the extra holes. And then readjust the metering lever to compensate. Dont know if that will work or not, but it seems like a good idea on paper and it wont cost me anything to try. I have thought about the Tilly swap but Brad did such a good job cleaning the old carb up that I am going to get it to work if it kills me. Otherwise I will order some new welch plugs and do another thorough cleaning, and clean or replace the check valve.

I have used two products, Stick'N Seal and Seal All, both seem to work well with gasoline, not sure about the ethanol as I don't put any ethanol blend in the OPE on a regular basis. When I do, I try to run it out a soon as possible and follow on with non-ethanol blended fuel. I don't know if that is really necessary but so far it works.

I do know from 30+ year old experience that leaving ethanol blended fuel in the old McCulloch saws is an invitation to disaster.

Mark

I wish I could get non ethanol fuel around here. I dont know of anywhere around here that sells straight gas any more. It realy is nasty stuff.

I tried out something. I sandwiched the diaphragm with two gaskets. I cut them exactly like an original Mac kit. I may be just wasting my time but it didnt cost anything to try. This should eliminate the problem with the leaking and hopefully solve the poor running. Earlier today I tried to clean the carb out and put it back together and it was running like it had an air leak and the carb was leaking out by where those extra holes are. So best case I fixed it, worst case I did nothing. I will test it out tomorrow morning and see what I have. I was going to take some pics of what I did but my camera was dead.

Back