Is This The Makings Of A Band Saw Mill?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ayatollah

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Found this for sale, and the price is relatively cheap. Wondering if the frame could be extended to make a band saw mill

possiblemillsawconversion.jpg

Extending the frame would be more trouble than it's worth, but you *might* be able to use the bandwheels. Most of the bandmill blades I've seen are 1.25" wide. In theory you could use smaller blades for a smaller mill (perhaps something capable of cutting "logs" 8" or so in diameter.

Extending the frame would be more trouble than it's worth, but you *might* be able to use the bandwheels. Most of the bandmill blades I've seen are 1.25" wide. In theory you could use smaller blades for a smaller mill (perhaps something capable of cutting "logs" 8" or so in diameter.

I'd want to cut bigger stuff, and I just found out that the biggest blade this thing takes is 1/2"

He's asking only 200.00 for it, but it's quite a monster for general use. Resaw...maybe, but without a mill, who needs a resaw?

not so fast. the bandwheels on my mill are very thin (1/2" perhaps?) and they run a 1 1/4" band no problem. i'd buy it for that price just to see. large bandwheels are very expensive. don't extend the frame just take the wheels and bearings and make a frame however wide you want. go see it run and if it runs true buy it.

Maybe you're right. I made an appointment to look at it tomorrow. The guy says it was made in 1927.

Well, this picture does not do the saw justice. This thing is out of perspective, and when I looked at it, it's only about 2 feet tall. The wheels are less than 12" diameter. It's a cute little saw and holding well for its' age, but can't use it.

Latest posts

Back