Is this true? Carb limiter caps?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coldfront

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Q: Why can't pro users just remove the plastic limiter caps from the carburetor adjusting screws and run it that way?

A: The carburetor will not stay adjusted without the caps in place. Adjustment needles on today's carburetors no longer have springs to hold them in place. Before you get the idea to remove the caps and run it this way, beware.

________________________________________________________________________________________________

They still have about a 1/2 turn of adjustment, so how does that keep them from not turning?

A: The carburetor will not stay adjusted without the caps in place. Adjustment needles on today's carburetors no longer have springs to hold them in place. Before you get the idea to remove the caps and run it this way, beware.
And if that is the answer, can't you just put little springs on the screws?

The screws will move very little in my observation, I retune my saw before every outing and sometimes during the day if the temp warms up considerably. I would use 3M weatherstrip adhesive..AKA "monkey snot"...if I was worried about them falling out.

I have taken them out of 3 saws ms 362, 660 and an 44 and have yet to observe they lost a tune.

When I took my carb off my 2007 372xp to clean and put in new gaskets, I pulled off the one limiter I think it was on the low screw? then took out the high screw, took it on a grinder and ground off that plastic cam on there that only let you turn it so far. I think the high still had a ratchet like thing on there to keep it from turning? I'm not sure I understand how those limiter caps keep it from turning? Seems they just won't let you go more than 3/4 of a turn either way.

I got curious and pulled the cover off my saw and looked again at the screws. They do still have springs on there to keep them from turning. I guess they must be talking about a different saw. Maybe the really new saws don't have them?

I don't have limiters on any of my saws,,, and they stay in tune unless the temps change a lot then I have to tweek it

On my MS 361 and MS 460 they have an o-ring on the Hi & Lo needles that both seal them and keep them in place. I tossed the red caps long ago and have not had a problem loosing my adjustment. Did the same to my MS 261. How would a smooth cap in a smooth bore without a press fit keep the needle from moving?

I think that's BS. My saws don't have caps and stay in tune fine. My lil 445 has the splined things. How come they don't need limiter caps to keep them from moving? Were you told this by the dealer?

Back