Is Tuning always required

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan Jones

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
First off...... I'm not throwing stones, throwing anyone under the bus or making any attempt to garnish any reputations. I'm new to whole world of porting and other chainsaw performance modifications. I am also mechanically challenged. I can over the basics or problem I've seen before but other than that, I'm getting help.

I have been die hard Stihl for the last 15 years but nothing ported till this year. Over the summer I acquired a few snellerized 661's and they have been awesome right out of the box. I did nothing to these saws except running them like someone else owned them. I recently purchased a bigger '99 ported Husky. Its trial run was disappointing to say the least. I contacted the seller and he informed me that the saw was detuned prior to shipping for user protection. And that I would need to tune it or find someone who would. When a saw comes back from a port job, is it standard procedure to have the saw tuned?

I have another husky of the same model that I had ported locally about 2 months ago. The performance of the saws is equal. Sooooo....is it a husky thing? If so, I know where you can buy 2 ported husky's.....lmfao!

A 661 is a MT saw with an electronic feedback carb that tunes itself. If the Husky is not then you must tune it.

A saw does not always need to be tuned, but it might need to be tuned at any time. If you don't want to do that then you set them rich and lose power.

most just set and forget. most won't even notice a difference. i've tested the elevation thing and it would seem i lose 300RPM's per 1000' higher in elevation here where i'm from in the summer. never tested it in the winter buti'm not gonna worry about 300 RPM's. i've got saws i can't remember when i tuned last and they always run good. they are probably leaner then most anyone else would run though lol

Could have to do with the environmental conditions, temp, altitude, what ever part of the country it shipped from vs where it went etc.

X2 I have to retune my saws and weedeater when I use them a work vs our cabin because of a 3500 foot elevation difference. At work I also have to retune for temperature change because during the summer we have a temperature swing that is commonly 45-60 degrees from 7am to 2pm, going from 55 to 115. Non adjustable carburators on our redmax weedeaters can be a real b.... at that point.

So I decided to tune the saw that disappointed me. I managed to get my hands on a cheapo tach. Throw in a few youtube videos and I was on my way. Long story short..........After I was done, the saw was cutting circles around everything else in my garage. The tuning process wasn't as difficult as I thought it would be but it still takes time. If I can buy a saw that has the ability to tune itself properly, that's the best option for me. However, I'm not giving up the saw I tuned today. There was a guy with me today who just started cutting firewood with an older 026. Maybe 40 hours total saw time in his life. He was watching the saw i tuned slice oak logs like butter. i knew he wanted to give her a spin but i was afraid he would hurt himself. Seriously, its that vicious. Against better judgement, I handed it over to him after a safety run down. He made 2 cuts, shut the saw off and said "Holy f%%K!"

Not sure, I still don't have a tach. I left it where you had it until temps got down into the teens and I turned the H side out between 1/8 and 1/4 turn.

So it's turning some RPM's [emoji4]I believe I pinched the unlimited coil off that saw for another saw before selling but was at 13.6k. Simons saw don't tune as high as the walkers one but run near as good.

So it's turning some RPM's [emoji4]I believe I pinched the unlimited coil off that saw for another saw before selling but was at 13.6k. Simons saw don't tune as high as the walkers one but run near as good.

I still need to swap the coil with the black one in my 372. Maybe get a little more out of it and know it's still a safe tune. I hate trying to tune a saw with a limited coil...

I still need to swap the coil with the black one in my 372. Maybe get a little more out of it and know it's still a safe tune. I hate trying to tune a saw with a limited coil...

sorry man lol. thing is when i sell a saw it's usually because another ones took it's place. so the coils get swapped so i don't have to pay $120 for a new OEM unlimited coil.

Back