Issues w/Putting stove in the middle of high ceiling room?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Cringle

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I am considering putting a wood stove in our vacation home. Seems the best spot for it, from the standpoint of foot traffic, floor & furniture layout is in the center of the main room. Would be good for heat efficiency too I think. But wondering about other issues or challenges. Cathedral ceiling 16 ft high over center of the room. What unique issues do I need to be thinking about if I center the stove in the room, meaning approx 13 feet of flue between the stove and the ceiling? And 10 feet from nearest wall? For example,, what bracing or other installation needs am I looking at? Am considering a large soapstone cladded setup which might give another couple feet of height. Welcome comments. CC

It's the best place to put the stove. No real extra challenge's as far as install etc. Your actually better off up past the roof penetration in this case. Less protruding pipe and no extra bracing.
I would prefer to be offset from the actual ridge to be able to use a standard flashing kit etc. I like the telescopic section on the stove top for bottom up cleaning and eliminating the need to climb the roof often/almost ever.
What make/model are you considering?
I am a rather firm believer in double wall from the stove top up. Keeping you exhaust temps up is important. Nothing better than having good draft and a clean pipe.

I agree with moresnow... there are no issues and centrally located is ideal. The stove can easily support the single wall pipe.

If you dont already have one, install a ceiling fan to circulate the warm are back down. It will cut down on wood usage/needing to run the stove hard to keep the lower house elevations warm.

Second the ceiling fan idea. Have a friend with a camp with cathedral ceilings and walkway up top to get to bedrooms. With fans on not much temp difference between upstairs and down. Turn off fans and it is hotter than heck up top and cold sitting on the couch across from the stove.

I have a telescopic section above stove. Love it, but..... it does not offer support for upper sections. My install is stove, telescopic section and 4' of single wall, approximately. The next three 4' sections of double wall are supported by the ceiling support.
I've also found if I remove the catalytic element and clean top down, then vacuum stove, it works just as well. I have to remove the top 4' section of double wall to clean top down. The messy part is cleaning that top section when removed. Which is the most built up. But that's how I do it now.
Also, the stove pipe can connect vertically or horizontally, based on the orientation of the stove section on it's 45° mounting base. I'd question if my stove would support 12'-13' of double wall. Single wall probably.
Then there is consideration of roof access. Even if you clean the stove pipe from below the cap, or cap screen, may build up and need occasional service.
We also have small grand kids, some 2-5, which although very good listeners, can not be trusted near a fired up wood stove. They are simply too spontaneous. We do not burn the wood stove in the house when they come over. That may or may not be a design consideration for you. You could add a low wall section behind the stove.
Our kids grew up with wood heat, with only one incident. Our daughter spun around like a ballerina with her arms out and back handed the stove. Sounded like a steak hitting a hot grill. She cried for hours, and wore a full hand bandage for weeks. She was maybe six, going on seven.
Edit: If you have ceiling fans, say two, one pushing air down, one pulling air up, you will get good air mix regardless of where the stove is in the room.

One thing you may consider are kids and horse play. A wood stove/heater gets extremely HOT and if any small children should happen to touch it they may stick to it like a Tbone stake in a dry skillet. Also to make them more efficient many people use a fan of some type to push air over and around there stove. Having it in the middle of the room might cause issues on where to place a fan.
Though having most of the exhaust pipe inside where the temps are warm would help keep creosote issues down.
By having it next to a wall or in a corner is good for the summer season because it's out of the way and your not staring at it all year round.

Latest posts

Back