It Can't Be That I Am Getting Old!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
180205d1302916039-wood-cutting-003-jpg

180210-wood-cutting-005-jpg

180212-wood-cutting-007-jpg

180214-wood-cutting-004-jpg

c'mon, you guys. i'm 60 and still go out and cut up trees, split them and stack them....and ready to do it again the next day.

Just so we are clear, I did cut nearly every day all winter long. Even the 20 and 25 below zero days. It's just that when you take a few weeks off, the muscle group doesn't get used and lets you know about it when you start using them again! :msp_scared:
Ted

Just so we are clear, I did cut nearly every day all winter long. Even the 20 and 25 below zero days. It's just that when you take a few weeks off, the muscle group doesn't get used and lets you know about it when you start using them again! :msp_scared:
Ted

i was breaking your chops, man.

if i don't stay on top of it, i have a hard time too.

I turn 65 in December. I don't seem to have the aches and pains a lot of friends tell me about. But then I am not one that sets around all week end watching all the games on TV. Never had any bad wrecks when raceing snomobiles in the 70's to mid 80's either.
Did break my thumb once so it some times tells me the future weather, got my nose broke in a auto accident so it is even better at telling me we are in for a weather front change.
In the summer if I am not cutting wood loading and unloading it I am lifting bee hives and moving them about it seems.

I like to cut the wood in the winter too. The colder the better, no sweat running into the eyes, none of those B52 size skeeters trying to eat you alive and no soggy under wear to sit on when driving the tractor and trailer loadofwoodto the house. It splits by hand better then too.

Even my son half my age crabs about aches and pains more than I do.

I am how ever recovering from the worst pain I have ever had in my life. At day 3 I had a temp of 103 pounding head ache that ice packs were the only relief. A burning from the center of my chest 3 inches wide across my right breast swelling the nipple (which is still swollen today and tender.), burning under my arm and across half my back.
Doctor said it is a real sevear case of shingles, said the pain would normally be gone in 7 to 10 days. I'm at day 23 today and still am useing pain pills to function.

If you are over 50 I highly recommend the Vacine. Ya it is $200.00 if your insurance won't cover it but I would much rather suffer that wallet pain than the body pain.

:D Al

Last edited:
Doctor said it is a real sevear case of shingles, said the pain would normally be gone in 7 to 10 days. I'm at day 23 today and still am useing pain pills to function.
Al

Al, do you take Vitamin E? It is supposed to be good to take the pills internally and also rub the oil on the blisters; maybe that would help you.

Yes, it's getting tougher!!!

Yes, it is getting tougher-tougher to do physically and tough to "admit" that we are getting older...I was out 2 weeks ago cutting and felt like I was hit by a train; just sore, tired, just miserable. Then last weekend I was out both days splitting and it got easier; I still felt it for several days afterwards but not as badly as I thought I would. I take vitamins for muscle tone and "old arty" and TRY to eat healthy as I do have a physical job, but it still seems to get you but we can't give in to it-keep fighting it lol!!

I also have been playing around with different work shoes and sneakers and insoles and getting something comfortable yet supportive seems to help or hurt so you have to get something that works for you.

11 years ago my neighbor came over when I was splitting wood and very crabby said to me "why don't you switch to coal? Are you gonna feel like doing this **** when you're 50"? My answer back then was "I hope so". My answer now AT 50 is "yes, I still feel like doing it but I have to admit it IS getting harder"....

Rock on, fellow OLD woodchoppers! :rock: :laugh:

It has occured to me last night just how old I'm getting. I've started obsessing about how much the refridgerator door gets opened....:D My old man was always on us for opening the fridge..:laugh:

lol...we always turn into our parents.

Flyboy,
I know how you feel. Three weeks ago we were out in the woods collecting maple sap and I was all in after several hours. Two days ago we went out in the woods to get a few fresh cut oak logs for our mushroom spawn plugs and fill the deer feeders. I cut six nice logs about 4 ft long and 14 inches in dia. Filled the feeders and made a mineral pit. I forgot how much those green logs weigh. It was nice to be out in the woods again but the next day I sure could feel it. Hard to believe that one could be out of shape after doing all that snow this winter. One the positive side, I loaded the rest of the trailer with some dry oak so that was helpful with this little cold snap we have right now.

Rep sent for your pain. :msp_thumbup:

I'm not getting older...been 25 for the last 2 decades! Just stopped having b-days is all.....cured that getting old thing.....

I get sore from doing anything in the cold, hot, or mild weather.... also if it's raining, foggy, or the sun is out....

But those slabs don't fall off that log by themshelves!!!

Scott B

I can assure you getting older is much better than the alternative. At 57 and working outside every day I begin with Advil in the morning and end with Advil each night. By the way those old bikes were cruel, I still have flash backs about starting my old BSA 441 victor.

I can assure you getting older is much better than the alternative. At 57 and working outside every day I begin with Advil in the morning and end with Advil each night. By the way those old bikes were cruel, I still have flash backs about starting my old BSA 441 victor.

I'm right with you- same age and working outside every day.
Had to smile when I read BSA Victor. That was a great bike. had a 63 Norton Commando - still have scars from the kickback. Kickshaft went forward on that bike, not back like most of them. That thing vibrated so bad if you let go of the handlebars, it would take you 5 miles to find em again! lol
Wish I still had all those old bikes.
Ted

The shingles blisters did only last about10 days. But the nerve endings in the area where they were are still kickinbg my butt.

I still have my 1979 750 Trumph Bonniville special. It is a kick start, viberates all the stiffness from your joints but is cheap to run and is real nice to ride on those narrow back country black top roads on nice days.

Back when I was still full of P & V and the Trumph was newer.

79trumph.jpg

I'm 72 and still trying to cut, however, I went to the Dr. the other day and had an MRI done.He said it was horrible, damaged so bad he can't fix it without loss of function. Said no more wood splitting, told him I now use a hydrolic splitter and he said that was OK. Don't know how much longer I can do it but will keep on as long as I can. Lester

They say a picture is worth a thousand words..

72 years old and still cutting :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

Looks like I'll be going out for a new saw. After looking at your post, the wife figures I'll have seven good years yet. So much for fishing.. :frown:

I'm 72 and still trying to cut, however, I went to the Dr. the other day and had an MRI done.He said it was horrible, damaged so bad he can't fix it without loss of function. Said no more wood splitting, told him I now use a hydrolic splitter and he said that was OK. Don't know how much longer I can do it but will keep on as long as I can. Lester

Good for you, those saw your using are not light weight.

The shingles blisters did only last about10 days. But the nerve endings in the area where they were are still kickinbg my butt.

I still have my 1979 750 Trumph Bonniville special. It is a kick start, viberates all the stiffness from your joints but is cheap to run and is real nice to ride on those narrow back country black top roads on nice days.

Back when I was still full of P & V and the Trumph was newer.

79trumph.jpg

Alleyyooper. I got shingles 2 Octobers ago. First time I ever had them. I hope the last, but they say they come back usually. Very painful, but more annoying than pain. Have to say. I got the gout ONE single time thankfully, as that was pain that was almost unbearable. Started in my ankle and rose to my knee. If I would have been near hatchet or chainsaw, I woulda cut my leg off at the knee to save myself from the pain. It was that bad.

Latest posts

Back