It followed me home...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loganj01

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
So I stopped at the local Ace Hardware after work to pick up some gate hinges. Perfectly innocent errand...no malicious intent...no ulterior motives lurking in the shadows. I overheard the cashier asking another employee for a ride home because he had to walk to work as he had no money left for gas. Ok...tough tits...not my problem. Then he mentioned that he wished he could sell that chain saw so he could buy gas. DAMMIT! It was a Mini Mac. Against my better judgement (it looked like an unhappy little yellow puppy staring up at me), I gave the kid $10, which was his asking price, for the non-running Mac. I got it home, pulled the completely clogged screen from the muffler after admiring the like new piston, and it fired up after about 5 pulls. It needs a carb cleaning/kit for sure and maybe a few other little things, but I sliced off a couple of pieces of 8" diameter red oak with it and was really surprised at how easily it went through it...with a low kickback "safety" chain no less! I reckon it has found a home. I don't think my wife is going to fall for the "it followed me home" bit though...View attachment 257843View attachment 257844View attachment 257845

Just because you don't understand how to fix something is no reason to downgrade it.:laugh:;)

Don't know if you are referring to me or not...

I spent some time working on one but when the starter rope would not rewind after every 3rd or 4th pull and I had to take it apart I knew it wasn't the saw for me.

Remember, the practice of thrift begins with the purchase of quality. If you are the expert with them, come and get these.

JoesMobilesaws002.jpg

JoesMobilesaws001.jpg

I work 50 hours a week, have three children still at home, and am taking 6 college classes this semester. Tinkering around with my saws is the only de-stressing I get. I have a few old tractors, but can't really afford to play with those until the wife is done with her master's degree and finds a job. Stihls, Huskys, Dolmars are too expensive to play with much...I know...I have one of each. Macs are cheap and available...mini...mighty...any-Mac. When I'm cutting wood, the project at work that needs to be done yesterday, the looming calculus test, the child who asked me for a $150.00 pair of shoes when I can see three toes sticking out of my work boots...all that stuff fades into the background for a few minutes. The MiniMac may be an exercise in futility...I may never find the parts for the 1-81...but I enjoy them anyway.

I work 50 hours a week, have three children still at home, and am taking 6 college classes this semester. Tinkering around with my saws is the only de-stressing I get. I have a few old tractors, but can't really afford to play with those until the wife is done with her master's degree and finds a job. Stihls, Huskys, Dolmars are too expensive to play with much...I know...I have one of each. Macs are cheap and available...mini...mighty...any-Mac. When I'm cutting wood, the project at work that needs to be done yesterday, the looming calculus test, the child who asked me for a $150.00 pair of shoes when I can see three toes sticking out of my work boots...all that stuff fades into the background for a few minutes. The MiniMac may be an exercise in futility...I may never find the parts for the 1-81...but I enjoy them anyway.

I like them OK. Not great, but Ok enough, a little tedious... Only did two of them so far, but tell ya, the only saws I ever fooled with that will start first pull cold.

Well said and AMEN!! I get some stress relief from mucking round with saws and antique bricktop mowers (except one stinkin Husky 240E)..have the expensive ones for work. A lot of fun mucking round and getting something to work,

I like one of mine so much,I regularly take it for rides in the box on the back of my fourwheeler.It's just the thing for cutting blowdowns and whatnot out of your path,and it doesn't owe me much.I don't think I'd try to go to the PNW to log with it though.:biggrin:

I spent some time working on one but when the starter rope would not rewind after every 3rd or 4th pull and I had to take it apart I knew it wasn't the saw for me.

Remember, the practice of thrift begins with the purchase of quality. If you are the expert with them, come and get these.

JoesMobilesaws002.jpg

JoesMobilesaws001.jpg

Thanks but I'm good with the ones I've got:smile2:

JoesMobilesaws002.jpg

JoesMobilesaws001.jpg

Gary, there's a member posting in the Swap Meet stickie that he wants small Mac saws. Seriously!

EDIT (it's actually working for me!)--AS name is Overtrained.

Last edited:
Gary, there's a member posting in the Swap Meet stickie that he wants small Mac saws. Seriously!

EDIT (it's actually working for me!)--AS name is Overtrained.

His first name is Dennis, and he's a heck of a nice guy, and apparently he has oodles of patience...........LOL!!!

Latest posts

Back