It's a climbing thing, you'll never understand

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello to all you fellow Tree Freaks! I solute all of you. I too am feeling it still after 20 years back in the Hurricane Hugo Trip to SouthCarolina throught the years , Tornados, Ice Bad Bad Ice in Main, New Hampshire to Local Mishaps.
Self employes now for 7 years full time Passion For Trees L.L.C. here in CT.
Finding this site is cool, there are others like me?? no way cant be.
Seems like there is, I thought for real it was just me with the Passion, do it right , do it well. Make it count.
Everybody dies, But not everyone really lives!!!!!!!!!! Climbing is like being home as comfortable as you can litterally be. Many times I have the bucket and it is just easyer to climb it to do it right ( Pruning, Cleaning etc.) Costomers say " why would you climb if you have that big truck?" I tell them to do your tree the right way proper cuts not braking branches to get in there to reach everything etc. and on we go. I have a concience , I have heard it all, from groundman to big boss Crap. Talk Talk Talk
Maybe thats why I am the way I am , If I talk the talk , I will walk the walk I talk. Sorry to give you my little frustration throught the years. I look too much and see ???? work too much , makes me sick.
But the true enjoyment lies within. Has anyone been in large Sequoia, or tall Red wood, douglas fur? WOW Oh my god, Give it a try and enjoy.
Rich [email protected]
Be Smart, Safe , work hard and steady and LIVE!

Been in the paid game 8 years,been climbing anything since i could. hows this,live in new zealand on the coast, beautiful.Climbing up the coast from here and dead wooding a large pohutukawa over the owners clifftop mansion.awesome view taking a break in the harness and stopped just to bestill and pinch myself how wicked this journey is and at that moment a pod of dolpins whent past about 40ft below ,just cruizing and going about their day to day travelings i would guess.how good is that, you are in nature in this profession, up close and personal.

Last edited:
Unless you count the treehouse that me and my brothers built when I was 12yrs old, I've only been climbing trees professionally 20 yrs. I started trimmin in OKC in 1987 (April 1st what a seniority date) for Asplundh. Asplundhs estimate is that each trimmer ought to be able to trim 1 tree per hour if that's true that would be around 2,080 trees per year! After 20 yrs that would be 41,600 trees trimmed. I think Asplundh is a little high on there estimate but still If I have trimmed 1/2 that many, thats still a butt load of trees! Until 2yrs ago the biggest tree I had been in was a 100' cotton wood in Topeka KS I tied in at about 80' or 85'. I imagine some people will post here and claim to have no fear of heights. I personally have a fearful respect for heights. Two years ago I had the oportunity to go down to Houston TX and remove 3 loblolly pines that were about 130' tall, when you tie in at 100' and climb 10' over your tie in and pop the 20' top out of a loblolly I don't know about you but that scared the $hi7 out of me! I mentioned April 1st of 87 some of you have done the math and figured out 20yrs isn't till April 1st this year. Well April 1st guess what I'm doin :cheers:
Yall Climb Safely
Joe OH Yea If you Yahoo look at the pics album here:
http://360.yahoo.com/profile-LQUrd3k7da7Uk3XHPJpEBQ--

Hi, I am new here. I have been in business for four years. Climbing for almost that long. I know we all have different outlooks on treework. For me it is nice to be up high. It is great knowing most people don't have the nuts to do what we do. But my favorite is dumping the top off. Making the back cut and as it starts to go, clicking the saw off, throwing an arm around the pole and riding it out.

I guess it all started for me back in the mid 70's. I used to ride my bicycle off into the woods near my father's cabin and watch the loggers do their thing. To this day the commingled smell of diesel and pine resin evoke fond memories. The sight of a snot-nosed brat in the woods certainly caused many a raised eyebrow! Not long after those first voyeuristic logging episodes, I was "adopted" by a gruff yet loving neighbor who worked multi-purpose timber sales on his own. The Old Dead Logger (as we now fondly refer to him) took me under his wing, and before long I was schlepping around an old Homeheavy xl-925. We cut everything but pulpwood, including posts, poles, and sawtimber. Those summers in the woods were the best. I still miss my wise old friend, and I think of him often. He taught me more about saws and woodsmanship than I would have ever thought possible. (And he wouldn't have known a taut-line hitch if it bit him!)
This all ultimately lead me to a tree service job years later while 'back east' attending college. I learned the climbing aspect of urban forestry, and eventually started a tree care business in the early 90's. I still climb often, but I most enjoy the precise application of the old notch and back cut. Something about being able to put a tree exactly where it has to go still gives me pleasure. Simple combination of man, tool, and experience!

pohutukawa

Been in the paid game 8 years,been climbing anything since i could. hows this,live in new zealand on the coast, beautiful.Climbing up the coast from here and dead wooding a large pohutukawa over the owners clifftop mansion.awesome view taking a break in the harness and stopped just to bestill and pinch myself how wicked this journey is and at that moment a pod of dolpins whent past about 40ft below ,just cruizing and going about their day to day travelings i would guess.how good is that, you are in nature in this profession, up close and personal.
I've never climbed pohutukawa and probably never will. could you post a picture of this tree? one on my pic is white oak.

Eagles and cranes

One day I was climbing a very large Willow tree. When I was tied in at the top, a crane swooped in around my side of the tree, and landed on a limb about 20 feet from me. As it landed, I admired it. It took it's time folding up it's wings, and it reminded me of the reasons why I like working outside. I have also had the pleasure of being all the way up a tree when a flock of smaller birds landed in it. Maybe 300 or so?!! It was so noisy!!!! The ocassional racoon hangs out while I trim a tree, but they keep their distance. Some are a little scared of squrrels, but I don't mind them running down my back-they're only being squrrels after all. P.S. You were right, Ralph. Things I don't like: Lawers, Book keepers, Accountants, and confusing paperwork. I might as well suck it up though, as they all help me run my business.

Asplundh-Making them money.

Unless you count the treehouse that me and my brothers built when I was 12yrs old, I've only been climbing trees professionally 20 yrs. I started trimmin in OKC in 1987 (April 1st what a seniority date) for Asplundh. Asplundhs estimate is that each trimmer ought to be able to trim 1 tree per hour if that's true that would be around 2,080 trees per year! After 20 yrs that would be 41,600 trees trimmed. I think Asplundh is a little high on there estimate but still If I have trimmed 1/2 that many, thats still a butt load of trees! Until 2yrs ago the biggest tree I had been in was a 100' cotton wood in Topeka KS I tied in at about 80' or 85'. I imagine some people will post here and claim to have no fear of heights. I personally have a fearful respect for heights. Two years ago I had the oportunity to go down to Houston TX and remove 3 loblolly pines that were about 130' tall, when you tie in at 100' and climb 10' over your tie in and pop the 20' top out of a loblolly I don't know about you but that scared the $hi7 out of me! I mentioned April 1st of 87 some of you have done the math and figured out 20yrs isn't till April 1st this year. Well April 1st guess what I'm doin :cheers:
Yall Climb Safely
Joe OH Yea If you Yahoo look at the pics album here:
http://360.yahoo.com/profile-LQUrd3k7da7Uk3XHPJpEBQ--
Its true. I worked for Asplundh for a couple of years around 1996 and found them the same way. The crew that was bad for that was from Alberta. Although, I really liked my mate Jeff. We worked together in Winipeg. I also think that a healthy, average respect for heights is a good thing. It sure is a relief when you finally get to the top of a tree, after a 40 minute climb, and you get tied in. Happy birthday in that tree-if that's what your doin. Although I wouldn't spend my birthday there. :bday:

very good

I thought I'd start a thread for us climbers here. From the guy who only does removals to the guy who climbs to snip dead twigs, from the new guy climbing his first tree to the seasoned veteran, we all share something that makes us not only stand head and shoulders above the crowd, but many dozens of feet as well, comfortably wielding a chainsaw at heights that would cause a ground pounder to swoon in fright and cutting wood so close to our own bodies as to make others gasp in fear.
We intimately know our charges, have caressed places only accessible to us and birds, we live our lives high above, tethered by a silky strand, understanding and manipulating forces of nature in such a way as to make it seem easy. Anyone can fell a tree, one only needs to cut it to accomplish this since gravity is still on, cutting wood to length while standing on the ground? childsplay, our students do this menial task hoping one day to accompany us to heights, to break free of their earthly bonds and walk with us where eagles fly.

So, here's to the climbers onsite, the upper echelon, the very ones this site was named for, the ones who can do everyone else's job, but only he can do his.
sound off climbers, how long you been above the rest?
-Ralph

Begleytree, climber, 20 years exp.
excellent post I have been in the
tree tops many years and one day it was not eagles! I was in a large water oak that everyone called a pin oak when a flutter of leaves caught my attention. I got to spend the next thirty minutes seeing something few do;
It was a flying squirrel that was not happy she would climb up to me then fly back down, squealing at me to get outta here home !

I decided to come down after noticing she had babies in hallow
limb I was about to cut! I talked it over with property owner and decided to come back later after babies could make it on their own . I have climbed over twenty years this was the only time I ever saw these remarkable critters and I found out 'they are night critters'!!!

ps:good good post:clap: :clap:

Last edited:
Tough stubs

Over the years, I have come across a few tree trunks that were very difficult to cut through. Even cutting a thin cookie off the top made the saw feel like it was cutting crooked and binding up. (Although it was a brand new chain and very sharp) This occurs in trees that have had a heavy lean on the trunk with most of the tree's weight going one way. I'm only trying to block down the last 5 pieces of a standing trunk. Both examples ocurred when I was cutting through old leaning Manitoba trunks about 4 or 5 feet in diameter. Does a tree that leans heavily for many years cause it's own wood inside to become loaded, even when the whole top is removed and only the trunk remains? Does anyone even know what I'm talking about? I may not be explaining it well. RSVP. FELLER:confused:

Silent saw

Hi, I am new here. I have been in business for four years. Climbing for almost that long. I know we all have different outlooks on treework. For me it is nice to be up high. It is great knowing most people don't have the nuts to do what we do. But my favorite is dumping the top off. Making the back cut and as it starts to go, clicking the saw off, throwing an arm around the pole and riding it out.
I love to shut the saw off and have it on the lanyard even before the top comes off. Then listen as it makes that blowing sound as it sails to the ground. I dont like going for a ride anymore, so I sometimes make sure the top is completely severed before it even hinges over half way (as long as I can see it's going my way) Not having a dangerous ride makes your removal more smooth and professional. (Sometimes a little swing may be necessary - drop crotching a top off a skinny pine, or making a tree top hinge over all the way and fall like an arrow at the ground)

Yes feller, I know well of what you speak.
Today in fact, I was running a 3 foot bar through a tree at about 30 feet up where there was a bend. When the saw hit the compression wood it slowed way down. The grain get really tight and the wood is stronger than you can imagine.
You'd think the tension wood would be strong, but it's the compression wood that slows the saw down.

Bringing it all back to simplicity

I guess it all started for me back in the mid 70's. I used to ride my bicycle off into the woods near my father's cabin and watch the loggers do their thing. To this day the commingled smell of diesel and pine resin evoke fond memories. The sight of a snot-nosed brat in the woods certainly caused many a raised eyebrow! Not long after those first voyeuristic logging episodes, I was "adopted" by a gruff yet loving neighbor who worked multi-purpose timber sales on his own. The Old Dead Logger (as we now fondly refer to him) took me under his wing, and before long I was schlepping around an old Homeheavy xl-925. We cut everything but pulpwood, including posts, poles, and sawtimber. Those summers in the woods were the best. I still miss my wise old friend, and I think of him often. He taught me more about saws and woodsmanship than I would have ever thought possible. (And he wouldn't have known a taut-line hitch if it bit him!)
This all ultimately lead me to a tree service job years later while 'back east' attending college. I learned the climbing aspect of urban forestry, and eventually started a tree care business in the early 90's. I still climb often, but I most enjoy the precise application of the old notch and back cut. Something about being able to put a tree exactly where it has to go still gives me pleasure. Simple combination of man, tool, and experience!
This skill for flopping big trees into just the right spot takes a lot of experience. It also irritates the hell out of budding climbers who can't wait to climb a tree !!!!! I personally love shaving 2 hrs. off a job through skill and care.

Old timer

I started climbing in 1979 and haven't looked back.Never fell,cut my rope once,dropped plenty of saws.But you know what? I STILL LOVE IT!!!! You don't see any web sites for concrete guys or plumbers or roofers.Same song,different jukebox.What makes us different?That is a question I truly want the answer to.I'm 51 and still get excited going to work every day.I love showing the hot shot tree climbers how to remove a hazardous tree with finesse and grace.I'm always thinking 5-6 cuts ahead.There's nothing like it.The most fun you can have with all of your clothes on!Giving me money to trim a tree ,is the same thing as giving a 10 yr old 50 bucks to ride the roller coaster and eat cotton candy all day.I took to tree work like a 16 yr old zit-faced kid takes to cheerleaders in tight sweaters!!! Yikes!!!

the most fun

Spongygumz, I agree 100% but also I pray that my clients stick to ????sites, if they read this they gonna ask me to pay them for climbing their trees.

compressionwood

Yes feller, I know well of what you speak.
Today in fact, I was running a 3 foot bar through a tree at about 30 feet up where there was a bend. When the saw hit the compression wood it slowed way down. The grain get really tight and the wood is stronger than you can imagine.
You'd think the tension wood would be strong, but it's the compression wood that slows the saw down.

I will second that just the word itself says so can be factor in
directional notching the tension wood can help here. they both
have different properties but compression is dense stuff.

Mind Space

Some of the big trees we cut down make you stop and think, "Why do I do this for a living?" Being a reletavely new business, we tend to get a lot of big removals. We do them all. But sometimes, looking at one of these huge trees, I can get a little bit discouraged when it comes on the wrong day. I have noticed that this frame of mind can seriously affect your BALLS. (I mean nasty situations are harder to deal with.) If you've dealt with these situations for many years, it can build up on you, especially when you are self employed and expecting a baby !!!!!!! When your frame of mind comes around and you're warmed up, you're a !@#$i'n pro. Does anyone else suffer these mid-career blues?

Latest posts

Back