It's a Pacific Northwest thing... you wouldn't understand!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The pine apple xpress is here was raining at Crystal yesterday afternoon pouring today rivers are turning brown and raising fast. Thank doodness its supposed to cool bak down tuesday after freezing level up to 8000 feet today.

Yeah it's like that here too. We had a foot of snow earlier this week. It's been 45-50 out with rain, so our streams and rivers are ready to burst their banks.

The pine apple xpress is here was raining at Crystal yesterday afternoon pouring today rivers are turning brown and raising fast. Thank doodness its supposed to cool bak down tuesday after freezing level up to 8000 feet today.

GOOD, maybe those lazy steelhead will get their aces in gear. . .

so far dodged the hose. took a drive down the siletz, seen worse , upper is better than down lower. still to fast for good catching. damn near spring time 62 at the house. cant wait for it to cool off. and i cut some wood on the way,. yes on sunday.

Last edited:
FOP today. Foresters On Patrol. I was asked to drive around and check things today so got a coworker and we did so. We didn't get a lot of rain last night, but it opened up this afternoon. To keep awake and from getting too bored, we cut some trees out of roads. Twinkle was bounced off the bottomside of an alder and glanced off a rock. Poor Twinkle. Will need to do some filing tomorry.

Until about 2:00 we only saw 3 other vehicles out in the woods. Then it looked like folks had decided the bridge wasn't goint to be cut off and ventured out.

When we came in, the Cowlitz was higher, but still within its banks.

We were surprised at the elevations we were getting to on bare roads today.

Found one of our PNW carvers making sawdust and selling his creations last sunday nite in Snohomish Wa..

Got to met Steve a few years ago at a local carving event my wife was participating in.

Snapped some pics and got to chat for a few mintutes on my way through town.

He travels all over for shows and competitions.

We even had a Pemco insurance commercial here that steve was featured in carving a little bear holding your toilet paper. :D

The commercial was called, Roadside chainsaw carver, your one of us.
3197077940_640517ede5_o.jpg

CIMG4738.jpg

sorry about the blurry pics, need a new camera.:mad:
CIMG4739.jpg

CIMG4743.jpg

CIMG4740.jpg

Steve at Baileys last summer, Woodland Ca.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/s8UbioSr8DE?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/s8UbioSr8DE?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

direct link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8UbioSr8DE

Steve lives on Whidbey Island. Some more of his work.

http://www.chainsawsculptors.com/galleries/steve_backus/index.html

Went through the '66 flood on MT Hood. When we went to sleep is was below freezing and about 3 feet of wet snow on the ground. When we woke up it was above 50 and the snow was gone. School was closed as the water rose. Had to walk across the bridge to get into Rhododendron from the West. Two or so hours later 100 foot on the West and about 250 feet on the East side of the bridge fell into the Zigzag River. My mother was on the West side of the bridge after the approaches fell. three days later she had to ride a bosom's chair across one of the creeks feeding the river to get home.

Watched over 100 houses float down the river and bust up. One family got out with their kids and the Barbie dolls they had for them for Christmas.

I guess the good part is that only one person was killed. Old guy would not leave his home.

Hal

Wonder if he was related to Harry Truman.

Only sawdust I've got is from framing a new building.:hmm3grin2orange:

On a PNW weather note, there is a mudslide about to close the road up to our place and our neighbors evacuated because there house is below another slide that is moving about 3/4" per day. Each slide is north of sixty-thousand cubic yards of material and the one on the road has boulders in it that weigh in at about forty tons each.

Oh well, no biggie I guess. There is another road out, first guy through has to punch the snow drifts and it is only an extra seven miles of barely improved road. (Is that dimple in my cheek from my tongue planted there?)

Mr. HE:cool:

It's been a rainy day here and I'm having daydreams of the PNW, humboldts, and tall timber.

stumping003.jpg

helped a neighbor remove a elm tree. Stihl 066 with 32" bar and a Stihl 441 with a 25" bar.

[video=youtube;ZAVbLn021Nk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAVbLn021Nk[/video]

Latest posts

Back