It's a Pacific Northwest thing... you wouldn't understand!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bumping this back towards the top with some pics of a 3/4 wrap/dog kit I just put on my 562. Now I just need to cut a 32 inch chain to go with a bar I’ve got and replace the wimpy 28 inch bar that came with this thing... not. Full comp chisel on a 28 seems like a good setup for now, but I might just put this b/c on a 272 and put the 32 on this eventually.E7A3A4FB-9074-41E6-B512-2F555DBD340D.jpegC729A2F4-C3F7-4A9D-B873-CFB07A5B6579.jpeg

Hope people here are doing OK with these fires? I am in an evac 2 zone but not ordered out yet. I get text updates on my cell phone with reverse 911 calls. Hopefully the Riverside fire has stalled out or can be contained. Over half of Clackamas Co is under evacuation now. And this county is larger than the state of Rhode Island. Smoke has been thick as snot here. 500/500 on the toxic air scale lately. Fires north of me in Washingtion state, fires south of me here in Oregon. When these fires started I could see wall smoke clouds thousands of feet high to the south over the Clackamas River area. For a week now I have not been able to see the road from my house. Today the smoke is better though. Last Monday's wind storm was a big one. 70 MPH east winds here, lost power for 2 days. We reported 3 downed power lines, one was a major high and lower voltage power line pole snapped in half. Trees down all over around here. I went out with my brother and salvaged about 2 cords of alder and doug fir for firewood from clearing the roads. All the downed cottonwood that you would want is still to be had for the taking. We passed on that. Watering my property as much as I can. Still cleaning up all the snapped off tree limbs and storm debris. Also got a new 7500 Watt generator as PGE plans on cutting power here in future with any high winds (like PG&E does in California). Power outages are going to be even more common here in an area that they are already common.

Looking great in central Wa :laugh: Ahtanum ridge is in this picture but the smoke has completely blocked it out. It’s only about 1.5 miles from here as the crow flies.
E06EB1A9-047E-470E-A128-E3A140E45AF5.jpeg
Highway 12 is closed from oak creek to SR 123 on the other side of white pass because of a fire west of rimrock lake. Air quality is in the 390-410 range here but we keep on trucking

I have been ordered to evacuate five times, but some how never have. I have managed to make my self useful with several departments. Got a call from some strike team that did not know any thing because they never had been up in the mountains. So I grabbed my mountain bike and tracked them down to show them a well and where they should set up. At the end of the day their mocho attitude some how vanished. I hate to stay up all night listening to scanners. Some times you have to do all alone. My K9 always stays close and does not get too intimated. We have had smoke for two weeks, but work must go on. I have been trying to get all my water tanks full for the what if. Thanks

Yeah, wather tanks. I had to get 60 gallons of water from my ex-SIL in Gresham last week when the power was out for the second day. My bamboo nursery stock was parched from the high winds. The 60 gallons did the trick. The next day the power came back on. But now I have the generator for the well pump, so no more filling water tanks. Air here was about 400 today. I could see the road and almost to the neighbor's house. Almost. My cat does not seem to mind the smoke. But half the time he is indoors in the HEPA filtered air.

Macho attitude. Yeah... the Mt Hood Ski Patrol was like that. There were a few hot shots and smoke jumpers on the patrol, along with some paramedics and even a few doctors. I just ignored the jock mentality. Several there were also ex-military. They missed the chain of command thing. I also ignored that. One ex submarine commander was cool though. As were the doctors. One GI doc used to say: "Never trust a fart!" He was right about that. My best friend on the patrol was a OB/Gyn. I would introduce him as my gynecologist. That played with peoples' heads.

I have now been demoted to evacuation zone level 1, "be ready to evacuate"... now in the green zone. I am 15 miles from the nearest fireline, but it is still 2 river canyons away from me. Where is the rain that they have been predicting here? This is one of the wettest places on earth!

The fires have been bad lately, but I figure once it’s burned it will be a while before it burns again. It’s a cycle.

The Tillamook Burn(s) are a prime example of fires being cyclical, but the cycle can be much shorter than you might expect.

The Tillamook Burn(s) were on a surprisingly consistent 6 year pattern, occurring in 1933, 1939, 1945 and 1951. The final fire 🔥 in 1951 was the only one that didn’t burn over at least part of the original 1933 fire, but it was still very close in proximity to the previous fires

Doug 😎

Latest posts

Back