It's a Pacific Northwest thing... you wouldn't understand!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's a couple of long bar shots. (460/32") Albiet residential.....

One is a 90' alder I put down in a 91' fenced yard. The second is a bad WRC that my buddy TreeBarber had the cajones to climb before I falled the spar.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Alders...

Yah... alder. I cut a lot of fairly large diameter alder here. Good firewood and fairly light so not too hard on bars or saws to cut. Long bar trees. Good commercial value lately too. Fast growing, I planted several hundred red alders here last year for errosion control along the creek.

Big wood

The biggest trees I ever saw cut down were in the Sierras. Jeffery pines. A crew cut them up for breakfast. Literally, they were cutting and I was having breakfast watching them at a campground just north of Yosemite National Park (at Niagra Rim). They had them down, bucked and loaded onto trucks before noon, when I broke camp. I did not realize how large they were until I drove by the trucks. 5'-6' diameter bucked logs. One log per trailer stuff.

Big logs are an issue here of late for env. issues, but also for milling. Mills seem to be buying smaller diameter logs and not many are set up for milling the really big ones. Big trees also have a lot of rot and problem wood that the mills subrtract value for. Our neighbors had 5 acres of 3'+ DBH stuff felled last spring becasue they were afraid that they would be restricted for env. stuff if they did not harvest them now. They were disappointed at the resulting price becasue of decay and rot in the wood and the cost of trucking to a mill that could cut that size wood.

I am planting a lot of redwood here in boggy areas that Doug firs do not do well in. The forest Rx guy says that we will not get a good price on it becasue no one around here is set up to mill redwood. However, I pointed out that by the time the seedlings are ready to be cut down I will be in my 90's, and so that will probably not really be a relavent issue then. :jester:

I hate cuttin' Alder. Haven't had many to do in awhile. Friggin' prone to exploding and barberchairs... not to mention the orange crap that gets all over and stains everything.:angry:

Gary

Can I be in the club? my 044 only has a 28" bar with a full skip chisel chain but I use its full length a lot of the time. Enumclaw Wa formerly a pure logging town turning into suburbia.:( Nice having our own thread.

Can I be in the club? my 044 only has a 28" bar with a full skip chisel chain but I use its full length a lot of the time. Enumclaw Wa formerly a pure logging town turning into suburbia.:( Nice having our own thread.

My 044 wears a 28"er too mang! So you're in Enumclaw... I'm originally from Orting... just down the road from ya. Now I'm up here on Whidbey Island.

See ya at the Buckley Log Show! Look for Robert Andrews (Rotax Robert on here). He's an Enumclaw guy too. Also owns the Predator V-8 Hot Saw.

Gary

Nothing to be added for the last three days? Seems kinda quiet for the NW

Since we're talkin about the PNW, how many are thinking about or are going to the Oregon Logging Conference?

http://www.oregonloggingconference.com/index.html

My boy wants to be there on sat. He likes watching the HSFSC. He's been working on his climbing, and his saw techniques. He wants to start throwing soon along with a couple other things.

We've been to three or four of these some are better than others. A few years ago it seemed awfully small with not much around that time.

I'll also agree that alder is one of my least favorites. Lots of pent up explosive energy hiding in them babies. Although is does burn pretty fair in the stove.

If your worried about the orange stain try this. Get a new Beavers sweatshirt an orange one, then wash it for the first time with your alder clothes. Your stuff will come out orange from the faded sweatshirt so you won't have to worry about staining your stuff since it will already be orange. The Beaver shirt will come out trashed from your workin clothes. Throw the sweatshirt in the garbage around some Beav fans and yell

GO DUCKS!!!

Anyway whats your take on the OLC if you've been?

Owl

Spruce and blue mainly. Typically, you'll find them in thicker underbrush, and younger, smaller stands, and not so much old growth, but in a day of walking, you go through stuff like this.

Here's a spruce I shot with a bow on a moose hunt several years ago.

attachment.php

That tree looks more like a smaller birch, than a spruce.......

:biggrinbounce2: :biggrinbounce2: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

...just had to say it......

Last edited:
Alder

I hate cuttin' Alder. Haven't had many to do in awhile. Friggin' prone to exploding and barberchairs... not to mention the orange crap that gets all over and stains everything.:angry:

Gary

Yah, that is what all the sawyers here say too. And why I knock 'em down with a tractor sometimes. I dropped 3 more here today. The price of alder right now is higher than for Doug fir.

Nothing to be added for the last three days? Seems kinda quiet for the NW

Since we're talkin about the PNW, how many are thinking about or are going to the Oregon Logging Conference?

Owl

Quiet here in the PNW 'cause its not been raining after gobs of rain/flooding in November/December.

Went to the conference last year. I live less than a hour from Eugene. I was not that impressed. Lots of toothless loggers from up north :hmm3grin2orange: that made it impossible to shop at Terra Tech when I was picking up tree planting supplies. They gave a discount to the conference people and the line was out the door... ;(

It has been awfull nice around here lately with out the ice, snow, wind and rain. Keep the weather like this and the rivers will be down and getting the perfect green color. Might get alittle driftin in real soon.

Hey Windthrown

Does it seem like the conference is sliding down hill alittle more each year?
This year I am hearing the they have Lars Larsen as the key speaker. I don't understand why Lars but I suppose that they have a reason. Seems like they would want someone speaking that has something to do with the industry. Maybe he does but listening to him on the radio from time to time I don't see his ties to the woods.

Anyone in the PNW enjoy while it's here cause we all know it aint gonna last long.

Owl

Like I said, you'll find them in thicker, younger cover. That day just took me through the older stand as we got lower into the valley. I'd not call spruce grouse tame, they just hold really well. So well, I was able to shoot that one with a bow. To just walk through the woods and see one standing in the road and shoot it at 15' is pretty weak, but with a good dog to flush them out ahead of you, they're as sporting as any other upland bird. And they're good for my dog, as this was his first year, and it was nice to have birds hold well and not flush or run way ahead of him.

This is more a common grouse setting, and was the same day as the old growth picture.

I didn't embed the first pic for the dial-up guys, and it was another page stretcher.

attachment.php

attachment.php
Yep its a PNW thing, cause if you drop out of that massive timber land and drive a few hours east to the desert caynon lands you get to hunt the other "PNW Thing-game bird"- Chukar! You havent hunted upland birds until you put one of those buggers in the game vest.

Eugene Logging Show

Hey Windthrown

Does it seem like the conference is sliding down hill alittle more each year?

Owl

I cannot say which direction the logging show is going as I had not been to any before last year. I found out about it when I was at Terra Tech on a shopping trip to Eugene last year and so I poked my head over there for a few hours. I go to Eugene once every 2 weeks or so to Costco for beer and dog food. My girlfriend raises livestock guardian dogs (Great Pyranese cross) to keep all the PNW AS horndoggies away from the sheep :hmm3grin2orange:

Bump... anybody get any sawdust in their ears today???:rock:

Removed 3 decent sized Alders for a guy that hung all three of them. He had an old Echo that he was usin'. Pretty neat old saw, but none of his chains were near bein' sharp. After lookin' at the bar rails on the saw, I don't think he was usin' any bar oil either. All of his face cuts and back cuts (sloped of course) were burnt. Looked like he had been usin' his saw as a wood burner.

Anyways... I "stepped" the hung Alders down and got all three on the ground safely, when his neighbor came over and had me look at a big ol' Doug. Took that one out too... standard no frills big (120') tree hit the ground. We bucked 'er up, cleaned up the mess, got paid for both jobs, unloaded the wood, and proceeded to cook some burgers on the grill and drink some beer!:cheers:

Gary

What did you, send all your rain down here? We got 5.5" of rain over the weekend. Don't worry, we're sending it back! :ices_rofl:
Brad

Make sure it kicks out over the water when you send it back up north. We've got plenty of our own!!!

Latest posts

Back