It's a Pacific Northwest thing... you wouldn't understand!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice Doug fir

Mntgal and I went out and cut up this 36" Doug fir from the big storm last December. She really got a chance to see what her 260 could do, she prolly cut more volume than she ever has. All I gotta say is The 066 kicks. Today was paying particular attention to the weight and balance of the 66 and I noticed the black berries a heck of a lot more than the weight of 32" bar 66. I also used it for limbing and it worked just fine but thats a PNW thing ya know.
attachment.php

Mntgal and I went out and cut up this 36" Doug fir from the big storm last December. She really got a chance to see what her 260 could do, she prolly cut more volume than she ever has. All I gotta say is The 066 kicks. Today was paying particular attention to the weight and balance of the 66 and I noticed the black berries a heck of a lot more than the weight of 32" bar 66. I also used it for limbing and it worked just fine but thats a PNW thing ya know.

Nice doug log. Wish I could find one like that around here... Oh, to be home in SW WA.

Nice doug log. Wish I could find one like that around here... Oh, to be home in SW WA.
Wish I had taken the mill along coulda made some great lumber felt kinda bad bucking it up but owner wanted it out in a hurry 10 months after the storm. Not sure wich one I like better the smell of Cedar or Fir leaning twords the fir. Used some Oregon square ground today for the first time. I gotta say that the Stihl square definately cuts faster. First and probably last time buying non Stihl chain.

Last edited:
I was supposed to take out a huge Doug this weekend (50"+ dbh). Got underbid by a local gypo. No biggee really. The tree had about 80' of the top blown out of it last year during the storms.

So the guy wants to get it on the ground and get some lumber out of it. It has some serious BF to it. But how it sits... it has the potential to break when it hits. There is still 80' of spar with a few huge branches on it.

It will make a big "whump" when it hits.:rock:

Gary

I was supposed to take out a huge Doug this weekend (50"+ dbh). Got underbid by a local gypo. No biggee really. The tree had about 80' of the top blown out of it last year during the storms.

So the guy wants to get it on the ground and get some lumber out of it. It has some serious BF to it. But how it sits... it has the potential to break when it hits. There is still 80' of spar with a few huge branches on it.

Gary
Yeah guess it is a nw thingy here a whump is a whap:laugh:

PNW thing

I did - after driving 700 miles in three days though logging county an never seeing a "Jonny" sign, I got home tired and bloated from micro brews and mexican food.... so... I sawed a bunch of logs and split the rounds... Does that count??:D

Lake
Did you see any Dolmar dealers on your road trip? 700 miles with no jonny thats really holding it!
Thanks for the pictures too!

This one made a whump when I put it down. Awesome tree. Good fall, and made it look easy....though I was sweatin' a bit, as it was in my EO's (boss) yard 15' from his house.

My budddy Pat (treebarber) wanted to climb and rig it to keep it from going over into the powerlines and neighbor's yard, but judicial wedging, and conscientious cuts negated the need for any pull.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
This one made a whump when I put it down. Awesome tree. Good fall, and made it look easy....though I was sweatin' a bit, as it was in my EO's (boss) yard 15' from his house.

My budddy Pat (treebarber) wanted to climb and rig it to keep it from going over into the powerlines and neighbor's yard, but judicial wedging, and conscientious cuts negated the need for any pull.

nice looking stump BTW,,,,,,, way to get after it!!!!!!! IVe go a few whump makers lined up for the next couple of days!!!!!! Cha - Ching!!!!!!! two of which are hanging over a power line, gonna have to do a little Judicious wedging and nudging my self!!!!!

Last edited:
i wish id of got pictures of this..yesterday i was out cutting and i was finishing up a job..a few of the last trees on there were some pretty good sized water oaks. they were growing 25 ft from a busy 2 lane highway and 15 ft from a fiber optic telephone line. of course they were all leaning out toward to road. climbed up onto the forks of the front end loader(444 JD) and got hoisted up as far as the loader would go with the skidder cable in hand. chokered the tree up as high as i could get it. and came back down. i set up the tree, the skidder ran out approximately 75 ft of cable at an angle off to the side of the notch and the loader got situated to push the tree. i signaled the skidder to tighten the cable and completed the cut, meanwhile signalling the loader(that had the forks up as hight as they would go above my head) to start pushing..with the combined forces of the loader pushing and the skidder winch pulling, we pulled the trees back over of the highway and away from the very expensive fiber optic telephone line. (not to mention what one of the cars would have cost!!!!) did it this way to a couple..pulled one or two with the skidder, pushed a couple over with the loader and wedged a couple. the thing that surprised me the most is that i was 25 ft from the load with a screaming 660 and most of the cars drivnig by didnt even notice i was there(i suppose they prolly wouldn't at 50 mph)

The middle one above made such a whump when it woke the neighbor she called her husband at work to make sure everything was ok it freaked her. The guys I was working for said you could hear the windows rattling along the street.:hmm3grin2orange: Ive had a lot bigger whumpers but usually not so close to people.

the thing that surprised me the most is that i was 25 ft from the load with a screaming 660 and most of the cars drivnig by didnt even notice i was there(i suppose they prolly wouldn't at 50 mph)

When they do, and they see one that looks like it is coming their way, but it really is going to miss them, they might wish they had vinyl seats.

It's a firewood thing...You wouldn't understand!

In response to the PNW thread, I wanted to give the firewood guys a place to post. From the Russian olives of Utah to the loblolly pines of South Carolina.

This is the place where smaller cc's, shorter bars and top handles are the norm. Bologna and cheese washed down with a jug of Kool-Aid and a Kit-Kat bar for dessert are our staples.

This is where whoops of celebration accompany the thundering thud of a freshly-fallen 8" lodgepole pine. And zealous men swarm upon said pine with their angry purple and green saws making bright sparks as their saws touch Mother Earth.

Here, real men, each Fall, have to re-learn how to file their chains, borrow trailers and buy permits. And splitters, what we cut don't need no stinking splitters. So if you're not burly and a picture of yourself doesn't lend itself well to be used as an avatar...I say, WELCOME!:laugh:

Back