Its Electric!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I commend the guys for doing what they did. I realize no one knows who Knudson is but he was much like the folks being discussed.

26:46 4c battery discharge rate.

It sounds like the engine is either on or off. I would think it would be nice to have an option for the engine to run governed at desired generator rpm.

added later:

4c discharge rate would be what 1.5 recharge rate? One ton of battery in that hybrid. The part about charging up going down hill with a load of logs and being able to go back up empty I doubt applies to this particular prototype truck. If you want your battery charged up to give up to 800 hp when your engine is only 250 or so then there will be no place to put the regenerated electricity.

The generator would run at a fixed RPM, but throttle with load, as generators normally do.

From the spec sheet

https://www.edisonmotors.ca/lseries
The diesel electric version has 175kwh of battery. So you could be at half charge, still have plenty of juice onboard for 800hp outputs when needed, and at the same time have plenty of space left in the battery to harvest regen power heading down hill. Won't be perfect, but better than a straight ICE vehicle, where all the energy bled off going down hill is just plain gone.

The spec sheet also shows a pure electric version with a 600kwh battery bank - 10x the size of an electric car.

Something similar to this was done with a hybrid electric switching locomotive. Most here probably know this already, but almost all engine driven locos are diesel electric already - engine drives a generator, generator powers traction motors on the axles. For a switcher, having a 3000hp diesel engine sitting around doing nothing most of the time was incredibly wasteful, so a company pulled the huge engine, replaced it with a bunch of batteries, and a smaller genset. Cummins 8.3l I think, going from decade+ old memory here. Cut fuel consumption in half and emissions by 90%.

Edit:

Here! The Green Goat loco.

https://www.american-rails.com/gensets.html

I also absolutely LOVE what Edison is doing with their design philosophy. No $1700 headlight assembly, using off the shelf $100 assemblies. Switches are the basic ones that you get at the auto parts store, not a $140 specialty Edison only design. Yes it's a hybrid, yes it can be full EV, no you're not driving a freaking iPad like you are in a Tesla.

If they built a pickup truck along those lines, I'd buy one right now.

I also absolutely LOVE what Edison is doing with their design philosophy. No $1700 headlight assembly, using off the shelf $100 assemblies. Switches are the basic ones that you get at the auto parts store, not a $140 specialty Edison only design. Yes it's a hybrid, yes it can be full EV, no you're not driving a freaking iPad like you are in a Tesla.

If they built a pickup truck along those lines, I'd buy one right now.
I commend what they are doing but if it is successful (which I hope it is) sadly it will go the way of the Knudson tractor.

Overview of Edison's hybrid truck.

I absolutely love it. I love their entire design and servicing philosophy. I love the compromises they chose to make, love what they chose to prioritize, love what features they chose to include and what they specifically chose to not include.

I really hope they make a pickup truck.

Latest posts

Back