It's going to be busy this fall in the pennsywoodburnr household....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pennsywoodburnr

supreme scrounger
Reaction score
So saturday morning I'm still asleep in bed when I hear the phone ring. I stumbled out of bed and went down the hallway with my eyes still halfway shut. Once I answered, I hear a frantic voice on the other end.
Me: hello?
The voice: jason, I need your help. I was cutting a tree that was leaning too close to my shed. I roped it off, but after I started cutting, the rope started stretching and it's getting to the point where it's going to fall on the shed. I can see it inching closer!
me: (still half asleep) who is this? David? <-----(which I'll go into some explanation later about)
the voice: No man! It's Frank!

At that point I snapped awake real fast. I grabbed my rigging equipment and hauled you-know-what the couple hundred yards away to his house. Upon arrival I could immediately see a few things that went wrong. The black cherry was leaning at a good 45 degrees over the roof of his shed.......with a rope that had all the thickness of dental floss struggling to hold it in place......roughly 10 up the tree (the height of his ladder fully extended). Not to mention a huge notch cut that extended over 3/4 of the way through the tree. He realized (apparently late) this was not going to work. So after assessing the situation I broke out my throwing weight and got both of my rigging ropes relatively high in the tree to get the leverage I needed for the masdaam winches. With the both of us working the two winches, we were able to coax the cherry in the reverse direction and safely drop it behind the shed. Now I was able to break his balls. He's a self sufficient type of guy who rarely asks for help. He's an excellent electrician and carpenter, but not so good at felling or reading trees. So I was kinda angry when I asked him why he didn't let me know about this sooner. I told him it wasn't a big deal to come over and help out. He thanked me a bunch of times and told me he needed more trees dropped behind his shed. He showed me what he wanted cleared out to make room for projects he had coming up. I've gotta say, I was kinda salivating with what he was offering up as far as the quality of the wood to harvest. Some small red maples, A LOT of hickory, the black cherry I helped him drop, and a nice red oak to cap it all off. Gonna be on that one for a while. No problem though. He said take your time, the trees ain't going anywhere.

Now about David. David was a guy I answered an ad on craigslist for wood removal. I rarely deal with craigslist as most free wood offers on there consist of somebody elses junk wood that's gone punky years ago. But he included photos of primo oak in the ad. So I said what the hell, I'll email him. To my surprise, he sent back an email saying I was the first person to contact him. So after meeting him and talking for a while, he says I can have all of the trees he marked for removal. Lots of white and red oak. I'm starting that job tommorrow. I'm sure I'll be there a least a week or two.

And last but not least, is my neighbor. He's got about 5 chestnut oak throwing too much shade onto his pool, so they have to go. His wife also wants trees taken out on the side of the property to make an extension on their garden. And he's got a couple oaks on the backside of the house that need to be removed.

After this is all done I won't even be able to pull in the driveway with all the rounds that are going to be piled up there! :dizzy:

Got to love the rope pullers. Best firewood tool I own. Without it I wouldn't be able to get half the wood I have in past years.

Latest posts

Back