Its great to be milling but don't forget to replant.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The people who owned this property before us had about 2 of the 2.8 acres cleared. Who wants that much lawn? Anyway, we've been transplanting overcrwded seedlings from the woods into the "yard". So far, several oaks and maples are doing great, and I transplanted a magnolia last month. Whoever owns this place in 50 years will have some nice trees. ;)

Around here we don't replant much. It's all selective cut to thinn the forest (private or national) to reduce fire danger, and get the trees down to a density that the land can support.
I talked to the guy over timber sales at the Forest Service the other day, and he said our success rate for transplanted trees in the forest is about 2%. Not good odds.

Andy

I've planted over 12,000 tree seedlings here on my place in the last 20 years or so... In fact, i transplanted a nice black walnut yesterday... And i have more to do as the squirells have them comeing up all over the place!

Rob

I would guess that at least half of the guys here are into conservation so hopefully that many are replanting.

I havent cut down a tree yet that wasnt dead or dying. The only ones I plan on cutting down are the huge hedge trees that border my property planted by the homesteaders. I am just scared to take them on for for a milling project because we are talking 40 inch trees. But I want them gone because they are not a native species to my part of the country.

I have planted over 5000 trees on my place. I put 30 acres into the crp tree program 3 years ago. battling the rabbits and deer is a full time job here in illinois. If you plant a pine without a tree protector it positively not going to be there next year!

Latest posts

Back