It's here!!!!............Inside the MS661

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Even running skip chain on a 32" stock 661c I think you will be changing back to a 7 pin rim.

I run a 7 on mine with a 28" full comp chain and after putting my ported 441c up against it wearing a skip chain they were very close in times. Very close. So close that the 661 will be getting ported at this rate.

The 661 is a great saw and a nice improvement over the 660 but it doesn't have a Capital "S" or wear a cape.

Aww, don't go burstin' my bubble after I spent all that money! ;)

Seriously though, thanks for the info. I'll have to try both.

Even running skip chain on a 32" stock 661c I think you will be changing back to a 7 pin rim.

I run a 7 on mine with a 28" full comp chain and after putting my ported 441c up against it wearing a skip chain they were very close in times. Very close. So close that the 661 will be getting ported at this rate.

The 661 is a great saw and a nice improvement over the 660 but it doesn't have a Capital "S" or wear a cape.

Have I mentioned I love me a ported 441R C-M?

Sure didn't mean to burst bubbles, sorry about that. I've got an exceptional good running 441c. However here are a couple more points that should prove out.

The 661 with larger displacement will pull a bar over 28" better IMO. What I did notice is that when you pull harder on the handle the 661 shines while the 441 begins to frown. Point 661. When the 441's chain speed remain high she flies. This also is less work it seems, point 441.

I run stihl lite bars but am pretty certain a 32 or 36" ES bar would feel better balanced and the sheer weight would work for you in the cut as well on the 661.

The 661 does have place in my saw plan, but doesn't shine until you get rough with her. Hmmm I knew an old girlfriend like that once :)

Have I mentioned I love me a ported 441R C-M?

Yes I sure do! One other significant difference at the end of three tanks each yesterday with the 441c and 661c is the filtration. The 441c had maybe 1/5 the debris as the 661c. Now why couldn't Stihl have re-engineered this?

No performance difference noted however.

lf yas all just want fast cut times cutting cookies...port a 390xp. lf you want a serious saw that will pull a 3 ft bar all day without raising a sweat...get a 661. Both 60/79/80cc class saws will outcut 90-125cc saws in small wood...speed is not all the engineers have on their mind.

Yes I sure do! One other significant difference at the end of three tanks each yesterday with the 441c and 661c is the filtration. The 441c had maybe 1/5 the debris as the 661c. Now why couldn't Stihl have re-engineered this?

The increase in breathing with a 90cc saw means it probably uses double the air a 70cc saw does. Sometimes basic physics factor into the equation that we must not overlook.

I noticed when I had my 441c the filter stayed very clean too!

I have a question Porsche . If you plan on cutting 25" wood and under which saw are u going to pick up to cut with and how do the 2 compare in torque and cutting speed between the 2 saws in that size wood?

I have a question Porsche . If you plan on cutting 25" wood and under which saw are u going to pick up to cut with and how do the 2 compare in torque and cutting speed between the 2 saws in that size wood?
I can't answer for porche, but that's not a question at all. 441 easy. I sold a strong, ported 390XP due to that very condition. I also frequently use my 441 when a smaller saw like my 2153 would work - it's become my one-saw-plan.

I can't answer for porche, but that's not a question at all. 441 easy. I sold a strong, ported 390XP due to that very condition. I also frequently use my 441 when a smaller saw like my 2153 would work - it's become my one-saw-plan.
Ya I hear u. My stock 441c was fast and cut very smooth and cant imagine how well it would cut ported?

So, I brought my 661R C-M home yesterday. Decided to put an 8 tooth rim on it. That should give me faster chain speed, right? Rain and snow all day, decided not to take it out and play. Hopefully next week! Forgot to add, running a 32" bar with 33RSF105.

I wish U the best of luck with that beautiful new saw, but U are asking a lot of a stock saw to put an 8 pin on with a bar that long. Would be different if U were running a shorter bar.

I like 7 pin better even with my ported 046 and 24" bar.

What U gain in chain speed U will give up in torque, and more chain speed = more wear & stress on everything. (14% change)

I would try both pins in real world cutting and see which one U prefer. I don't think U will see much difference in cut speed, and I like being able to lean on the saw a little more. Just my 2 cents!

Keep us posted.

If you would lean hard on the 661 it may be a shade faster than a ported 70cc saw. That's something I'll have to try. Maybe if it don't rain this weekend I can get a couple of videos up. 25" wood and a 28" bar buried in Oak. The logs are almost chest high on some of them. Torque? 661. All I do is block for the spitter crew for exercise and fun. They pay me in friendship.

My pick for 25" and down would be the 441c or any ported 70cc saw from the great builders on AS site. For me the 661c is more just for fun however it is the saw of choice (over 25 661s out in the field working since 11/13) and they use a 20 or 25" 95% of the time, the loggers of course in hardwoods.

Can't wait to see the one Brad is porting run and stack up.

If you would lean hard on the 661 it may be a shade faster than a ported 70cc saw. That's something I'll have to try. Maybe if it don't rain this weekend I can get a couple of videos up. 25" wood and a 28" bar buried in Oak. The logs are almost chest high on some of them. Torque? 661. All I do is block for the spitter crew for exercise and fun. They pay me in friendship.

My pick for 25" and down would be the 441c or any ported 70cc saw from the great builders on AS site. For me the 661c is more just for fun however it is the saw of choice (over 25 661s out in the field working since 11/13) and they use a 20 or 25" 95% of the time, the loggers of course in hardwoods.

Can't wait to see the one Brad is porting run and stack up.
Ya Brad is teasing us!!! Lol!! Id love to see the comparison of the 441c/ 661c in 25" wood.

Keith, those bar choices sound about right for the 441/461, but I like a 20" on the 362.

As Ryan has suggested, I should get a 28" light for the 046. I love the combination of speed & torque the 460/461 saws have. They are great for bucking, but a little heavy for other stuff (guess I'm starting to reflect my age).

A 661 would be real nice to have, but I think there are very few times I would really need one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back