It's mid February..lots more heating season to go

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zogger

Tree Freak
Reaction score
...and I had a hunch last year. Like all of us here, I spend a lot of time outdoors. I pay attention to the plants and animals, real close attention, I learn things. So last year I was sitting pretty, nice stash of wood all cut and split and stacked, a cord more than I usually use. By late fall though...man, I got antsy. Everything I saw told me nasty extreme cold winter ahead. I told my boss, he goes "mmph". Oh well, I did tell him... I told my GF, "look, all the critters..they are preparing for hard times, just LOOK...I bet this is the worst winter for a long time around here". I mean goofy stuff, things like I noticed my cats starting to grow their longer winter coats way earlier, when it was still warm..stuff like that. Birds looking "poofier" like they were putting on extra weight and feathers. How do they know??

So, I went out and found some more standing dead and fallen big branches, and cut and stacked some more. "Just in case". I already had a full cord backup, but I wanted more.

First pic is what is left of my normal plus one cord stash, pics taken today.

Second pic is my "hunch" wood.

Hunches are good to follow sometimes...now I am going for broke, will be multiple years ahead by next winter.

I am also remembering this

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1993_Storm_of_the_Century

...was socked in and no power for almost a week where I was living at the time, way back down dirt roads in the mountains here. Didn't have near as much "prep" gear then as I do now, like I have some small amount of solar power now and a couple years basic food ahead, etc, but had enough at the time, because I had been through several such instances previously in my life..

Loved it when that storm hit, had a fireplace then that worked and actually threw some heat, lotsa wood and food put up, filled the tub with water for washing and for the john, plus many jugs of drinking and cooking water, had a propane stove that worked just fine with no electricity, all of that....

Before it hit, I parked my camper van as close to the door as I could get it and ran a redneck cobjob 12 volt "extension cord" into the house from the dual batts in the van so I could use my 12 volt work light and my little 12 volt TV as well.

..if you are prepared for it, getting snowed in-or any other sort of off the wall emergency... then things ain't too bad..I wish all our society went back a little in time to where being prepared was considered normal. That's *real* "homeland security". Having a well stocked pantry and a root cellar and stores of like smoked preserved meat, etc was "normal", things like that, not like today where most folks only have a few days this or that, and you see the runs at the grocery stores.

This post isn't just about firewood, but all of it, the whole scene. Look at the headlines, look at the economy, look at the world situation in general, then ponder on it a bit.... If you are as prepared and skilled as what was common and normal just two generations ago..count yourself both smart and lucky.

I bet 99% of the population would be toast after a few weeks with our "just in time" modern lifestyle interrupted. Might not take even a few weeks for a lot of people.

nice shed in the back there..... that stinks about the wood pile....but i dont see any snow and ice there..

How true. Half the country would be lost without their 'smart phones' and texting. We canned fruits and veggies (in various forms) for the first time last summer-all were successful. The 10 year plan gets us on 20+ acres to have some self sustainability for such said world issues. Having a woodstove that doesn't need electricity for a blower is in the forecast for then too. We're no where near prepared for a situation now, but understand it can happen and will keep working towards it.

living in the present, with the wisdom of the past " THANKS !!GRANDPARENTS AN PARENTS !! " ........ always 3 years ahead with the canning, smoked meat still haunts me as to the real trick ?? fish is easy an venision canned is a treat! garden seeds are saved from previous years, marked for production/yeild.... wood heat and 12 volt backup as well for a few modern toys like the lap top.. what more do we need?? " OTHER THAN OUR WISE OLE ELDERS ".... need less to say we too must pass it on to our younger souls!!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back