It's Super and it Splits...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That'll work.
Looks good davec!
Nice pile of splits you've been working on.
:cheers:

He ain't been working on the splits, I have. It's complicated but it is his land we cleared, he did 75% of the hauling of the wood to my house, he bought the splitter, and I split it up. Now I get to burn some and then we sell the rest. I'm closer to the ultimate market we will see in so it made sense to get the wood to my house. We also needed to get it off his land to make way for his house he is going to build.

Bump...Towable SS

Thought I'd bump this thread up to the top. I have a SuperSplit J model arriving soon so I thought I'd see if anyone out there has any more ideas for making there's towable. Pics are very welcome.

Any other general insight on your Super Split is very welcome too.

Thanks

I never made mine towable, because I dump all my rounds next the the shed. Then just pull the SS out by hand. It's easy to move around on flat ground.

I did upgrade the single engagement bearing to the 'three bearings' that is on the HD model. I blew that single bearing splitting a bunch of large Elm earlier this year. Actually I was pushing the splitter to see if I could break it. Those big Elm crotches are bad stuff! ;)

Last edited:
Thought I'd bump this thread up to the top. I have a SuperSplit J model arriving soon so I thought I'd see if anyone out there has any more ideas for making there's towable. Pics are very welcome.

Any other general insight on your Super Split is very welcome too.

Thanks

Off road towable or on? I'll take pictures soon, mine is pretty much done for off road. I need to add some more bracing, but I ended up widening it 20", added a removable hitch to the front, and replaced the front leg with a trailer jack so I can swing it out of the way while towing. Widening is needed depending on terrain, I rolled mine pretty early on. Probably could get away with less than 20", that put me in the same tracks as my gator so it made sense.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

Off road is all I'm looking for to start (I have about 200 yard with a slight hill from shop to worksite). I will load it on a small trailer to travel down the road.
Any pics??

I keep forgetting to take them during the day when its light out. No power in the garage for lights or I'd go out now. I'll try and remember tomorrow.

Here is a shot from the rear of the splitter. I widened it 10" on each side, giving it a 58" outside track width. My John Deere Gator is 62", so this width works out nicely for me. If the gator can't fit somewhere I have no use for the splitter there anyways.

IMAG1065.jpg

Here's the center section welded back on. I used 4" channel to re-build the beam. Should be plenty strong, but if it starts to bow I can brace it easily enough.

IMAG1066.jpg

Wheel mount side. I think maybe I should have left more of the original angle on this side and less on the center piece. No big deal though, there's still plenty of weld on there.

IMAG1067.jpg

Just another shot, this time from the front.

IMAG1068.jpg

Tongue mounted and ready to hook to. You can see the extra holes, the tongue is adjustable in length. That was an afterthought, I had the drill in my hand and figured I'd go ahead and make a couple more holes. The tongue is 2" square tubing, the 'receiver' on the splitter is a weld on trailer hitch piece from tractor supply.

IMAG1069.jpg

Looking down at the hitch. Next is better gussetting and I think a second jack on the other side to make it more stable. The jack makes it nice, I can level the splitter out of it's sitting on a bit of a hill.

IMAG1070.jpg

Front leg. I'm thinking a small gusset should do it here, shouldn't take much.

IMAG1071.jpg

Hitch length from front 'leg' to ball mount. It is about right for towing usually. It's a bit short for the gator, but that's because of the location of the gator's hitch.

IMAG1072.jpg

Tongue removed. You can see the holes good in this one.

IMAG1073.jpg

Pic from the front. A second jack offset like this one would be great I think.

IMAG1074.jpg

I still want to brace the front and back together better, more for piece of mind than anything. A piece of tube welded between them should be plenty, with a kicker coming off each to eliminate flex. A second jack should make everything much more stable. It's very bouncy if you travel too fast, but as long as you take your time it does fine. Through fields I go between 5 and 10 mph, maybe 3 to 6 in the woods.

Thanks for the pics

J model is here !!! Put it together yesterday. Took me and my old man about an hour. Jules083 I really like your mods. Your axle widening is a great idea. Utilizing the factory welds by just adding a straight edge in between, so simple and yet functional. I'm getting ready to head to the farm supply shops today to find reciever tubing and reciever. I'm just going simple for now leaving the ability for more mods when I get time. Again, you've got some great ideas up front too.

Thanks so much for the pics, they are very helpful. Especially now that I have my own machine in front of me.

My first impression of my SS...dam this thing is heavy (as I'm trying to slide the skid to the front of the trailer at the depot)!!! Surprisingly heavy for such a compact machine.
Oh yeah, that "Made In U.S.A." sticker is an awsome sight too!!

More impressions to come I'm sure...

Last edited:
Looking down at the hitch. Next is better gussetting and I think a second jack on the other side to make it more stable. The jack makes it nice, I can level the splitter out of it's sitting on a bit of a hill.

Looks good!! No need for second jack in front. Just make a leg and a wide foot that will slide in the receiver where the tongue would be. Raise up the jack and your all set.

I like the idea of the adjustable tongue. Looks like something I will do to my 800. I could pull out the tongue, mount a box on the back and still put the trailer in to the woods.

Nice pictures, some great ideads.

Thanks!!

Just make a leg and a wide foot that will slide in the receiver where the tongue would be. Raise up the jack and your all set.

That would work too, and end up being a bit cheaper. I think I'll just do that. Thanks for the idea.

I'm still working the bugs out of my mods, that's why there's no paint and the welds look like crap in some places. Once I know I like it I'm going to clean it all up and paint it. I'd like to come up with a way to run real wheel bearings, haven't thought up a good solution yet. I don't want it to be any higher, so I'm pretty much stuck using the stock size tires unless I build a whole new rear section and add a trailer axle, which I don't want to have to do.

As much as i use our splitter in the woods and around the farm, I woudn't need good wheel bearings. We pull the splitter behind the 500 and maybe 1/4 mile at a time. If we need to go a long way, I'll trailer it.. How far do you move it now? Looks good the way it is. Save the money for new wheels, buy a new cahin for your saw and put that puppy to work.. ;)

As much as i use our splitter in the woods and around the farm, I woudn't need good wheel bearings. We pull the splitter behind the 500 and maybe 1/4 mile at a time. If we need to go a long way, I'll trailer it.. How far do you move it now? Looks good the way it is. Save the money for new wheels, buy a new cahin for your saw and put that puppy to work.. ;)

I don't move it far enough to matter, just can't leave well enough alone. I wouldn't get new wheels, not worth spending that much money on. New bearings and build a hub of some sort at most.

I have been following this thread from the beginning and am intrigued. I have been using a hydraulic splitter for the last 15 years or so. I sell firewood on the side. My splitter gets the job done, always has. A friend has one he bought years ago, said he would let me borrow it to test it out sometime. I am kind of scared I am going to like it though.

I have been following this thread from the beginning and am intrigued. I have been using a hydraulic splitter for the last 15 years or so. I sell firewood on the side. My splitter gets the job done, always has. A friend has one he bought years ago, said he would let me borrow it to test it out sometime. I am kind of scared I am going to like it though.

I never got to try one, but saw a Super Split in action over 12 years ago. I told my buddy I'd have one at some point. 10 year later I got it. Wish I'd gotten it sooner!

You will want one...

I'm with Sunfish on this one too. I watched the video 8 or 9 years ago and have wanted one, with a passion, ever since.

However, I went the route of buying a cheap copy from a local "farm supply" store first. Thank goodness they took returns. Trust me, I've only been an SS owner for less that a week, and they are miles apart in quality. From the "cheap copy" I did learn one thing for sure...I can't go back to splitting in slow motion. Kinetic is the only way to go.

Ok, I also learned not to buy the cheap copy. :bang: :bowdown: :biggrinbounce2:

Last edited:
I'm with Sunfish on this one too. I watched the video 8 or 9 years ago and have wanted one, with a passion, ever since.

However, I went the route of buying a cheap copy from a local "farm supply" store first. Thank goodness they took returns. Trust me, I've only been an SS owner for less that a week, and they are miles apart in quality. From the "cheap copy" I did learn one thing for sure...I can't go back to splitting in slow motion. Kinetic is the only way to go.

Ok, I also learned not to buy the cheap copy. :bang: :bowdown: :biggrinbounce2:

Same here. I returned my 'farm store copy' before dozer man did, and the quality difference is pretty big. I wouldn't go hydro anymore for sure.

A few years ago, before I ever owned a splitter or woodburner, I was helping a friend split with his hydro. He was splitting, I was stacking. I got tired of waiting on him so I grabbed the maul. I was getting more done with a maul and wedges than he was with the splitter.

Now, I would challenge any 2 guys to try and keep up with my girlfriend running the ss. I'll drink beer and watch you get beat.

Dozer man, glad to see you're liking it. It's the way to go, I'm really glad they were taking returns on the other one.

New hitch...

View attachment 266427View attachment 266428View attachment 266429

Here are some pics of what I came up with for a hitch. I still want to put a handle up towards the hitch. No it's not for highway use. But for now I only need a tow from the shop to the woodpile, or about 500 feet with a slight hill in a gravel drive. I'm thinking for future mods I would tie the front leg to the rear leg/axle stand with some small angle iron for bracing. Not sure about axle widening as I haven't tried this out yet. Hopefully I can go slow enough I won't find out the hard way that I need to widen the axle.

Last edited:
Nice setup with the receiver. Pretty simple. I just didn't want to weld on the SS itself, as my welding skills were super bad way back then. I think I'm up to just "moderately poor" now... So I just pinned the bar to the existing holes under the table.

Back