Its too hard to choose

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cantcutter

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have been shopping for a mill for about a month and can't decide.... I started out wanting a MDs, but have seen a wood-mizer work and have also looked into a swing blade......They all have there plus and minuses. I like the Mobile demension because of simplicity and speed....its also not to much to set up and there is no loading issues as it works at ground level. I like the band mill because of reduced waste and the un-hook it and go, but don't like the price and the log diameter restrictions, or the fact of having to think about getting the logs up onto it..... The swing mills are pricy, but very portable and I think the mobile demension is basically the same thing with fewer passes to cut one board. My basic needs are to beable to cut cants for beams and timber framing....3/4x 9.25" boards for bee boxes and whatever custom milling comes my way.
CSM is out as they are too slow.....I need medium production. What are everybodies thoughts?

There's a used peterson wpf on their website, looks like the owner lives in Florida. I think it was an 8" 2002 model with about 50 hrs for $8,000.

One of the big advantages to a swinger (aside from being able to mill really big dia logs) is the abiility to add a slabbing attachment. I just think it would be really nice to mill a big log down with the swingblade, hook up the slabber for a few cuts, and finish it off with the swingblade. More kerf loss than a bandmill, but the ability to do things a bandmill can't. I guess it really boils down to the kind of sawing you'll be doing and the size trees you have access to.

With that said I ended up with a bandmill and still have/use a csm for the slabs. (when time permits) I'm happy with the bandmill and it's ability to make accurate cuts with minimal waste and think it fits my need just fine.

Good luck with your decision ...

My biggest concern with the swing mill is that it would have to make three passes to cut anything wider than 1x8. It looks like a great mill for cutting most 2xs, but most custom milling is not in demensional terms.

I went with a timberking 1600....I pick it up this weekend and hopefully will get some pics and maybe a video up this weekend.... I thought that it was worth a little extra for the hydrualic log loader and turner. :lifter:

Great choice, from all I've heard along with my limited experience with an all manual mill you'll be glad you chose the hyd model. Keep us posted with pictures and thoughts on the mill itself. :cheers:

have you considered norwood? a great mill and a competitive price.

I have an LM2000 and couldn't be happier.

Craig

I went with a timberking 1600....I pick it up this weekend and hopefully will get some pics and maybe a video up this weekend.... I thought that it was worth a little extra for the hydrualic log loader and turner. :lifter:

Congratulations! I would love to come and see it in action sometime.

No problem, I got to order a box of bands hopefully I will have it burning through wood within a few weeks.... Ill keep you posted on my progress.

Latest posts

Back