I've Been Lakerized!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

livewire

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Anyone else try their hand at Lakesides 361 muffler mod? I finally jumped in. It wasn't too hard to accomplish this project. The instructions are clear and I had some help along the way.

The brazing was the most intimidating :)newbie:) but once I started the rod flowed like solder. I'd have done better if I took a practice run on some scrap.
attachment.php

Minor oops in the paint. The wife wasn't happy to see me cooking when she came home, either.
attachment.php

Here's the final outcome! I haven't replaced the screen yet. I destroyed it trying to squeeze it in where it didn't want to go.
attachment.php

Post some pics if you took on this muffler mod too. I'd like to see what you all did different.

Thanks Lakeside53!!!

Very nice work :clap: I'd be proud of that brazing job, and for a first attempt that looks awsome:clap:
Good job! (you get a gold star today)

What did you use for the brazing? When I did my 346 I tried using Mapp/Oxy with one of those "brazing kits" they sell at Ace Hardware and it didn't seem to want to get hot enough for the brazing rod. It doesn't make sense, but I ended up putting the Mapp can on a regular propane burner and it did a little better, but it was still a pain to get it to flow.

Ian

:clap: Nicely done

Nice :camera: too

Nothing like filling the house with the smell of fresly baked Stihl to get the wife out of bed with an attitude. :angry:

:hmm3grin2orange:

Good job on your mod.
Now that you asked who else has done Lakes mod, I did heres a pic of mine.
I had to wait for the screen assy. It's installed now.
I used a tig welder.

Thanks for the replies and compliments!!!!! It was nerve racking due to my inexperience and lack of tools....(felt like a hooker in sunday school).

What did you use for the brazing? When I did my 346 I tried using Mapp/Oxy with one of those "brazing kits" they sell at Ace Hardware and it didn't seem to want to get hot enough for the brazing rod. It doesn't make sense, but I ended up putting the Mapp can on a regular propane burner and it did a little better, but it was still a pain to get it to flow.

Ian

Ian, I just used mapp and the thinnest flux coated rod I could find (3/32 if memory serves), 'cause I wasn't sure I'd get it hot enough with mapp. I looked everywhere for that kit you mentioned but I couldn't find it locally. And I used a "swirl flame" multi application torch.

Good job on your mod.
Now that you asked who else has done Lakes mod, I did heres a pic of mine.
I had to wait for the screen assy. It's installed now.
I used a tig welder.

Hey manual, What size pipe did you use for the port? I tried 1/2" emt but like I said before I destroyed the screen trying to make it work!

Edit: I ended up sourcing the perfect size from my wifes bakers rack in the kitchen :clap:
I had to "pretty" it up a bit after I hacked it off

Last edited:
Hey manual, What size pipe did you use for the port? I tried 1/2" emt but like I said before I destroyed the screen trying to make it work!

You have to use something with a 1/2 inside dia. and 9/16 outside dia.
the screen fits right in perfect.

Heres some I just made up out of stainless steel.

Nice job!

Be sure to wear gloves when using the saw though. I was bucking fir with my 361 yesterday and the hot gas bouncing off the bark can sure heat up (like BURN) a glove real fast!

I was thinking yesterday - "boy this saw works great"... fast and a great sound (somewhat louder..)when you find that sweet spot..

:clap: Nicely done

Nice :camera: too

Nothing like filling the house with the smell of fresly baked Stihl to get the wife out of bed with an attitude. :angry:

:hmm3grin2orange:

:ices_rofl:

Yep... but there is method to the madness... it's real easy to "buy your own" for the garage after that..:) :)

Find an old convection/microwave unit with a bad microwave section (common)... If it keeps blowing fuses (shorted diode or capacitor in the magnetron circuit), just disconnect the magnetron (carefully)... Then just use the convection portion - much better then radient heating for baking paint etc.

:ices_rofl:

Yep... but there is method to the madness... it's real easy to "buy your own" for the garage after that..:) :)

Heck Yes!!!

Somehow our dishwasher mysteriously started shorting out...:monkey: so we had to buy a brand new one.

Now the old one is in the garage. It's the damndest thing, as soon as I hooked it up in the garage it started working again. Hmmmm!

Looks great Livewire.:clap:
Boy, seeing the handyman that you are,
does your wife wonder why you couldn't fix the dishwasher ?? :hmm3grin2orange:

Looks great Livewire.:clap:
Boy, seeing the handyman that you are,
does your wife wonder why you couldn't fix the dishwasher ?? :hmm3grin2orange:

He probably made up for it with a better dishwasher.
There's is no way I could put my dishwasher in the garage she would get cold.
:laugh:

Hey Kevinj see you have been pumping out, are you getting ready for the Ax contest this summer ? :laugh::laugh:

Latest posts

Back