I've got a saw buying dilemma. Need advice

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aandabooks

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I've got some money squirreled away. By squirreled away, I mean the wife doesn't know about it. Here's where I'm at:

I have been thinking about adding the MS180 because I bought some land in the spring and I've got some ATV trails I want to cut through it and such. Lot of small undergrowth stuff. I'll just go to my dealer I bought from last time for anything Stihl.

Today I found a Dolmar that I finally got ahold of. About 40 mins away but he actually stocks saws. He's got the 420 coming in next week and it will be $279 w/16" bar. He's also got the 350 coming for $364 w/14" bar. For $15 it should be a no brainer. A direct replacement for my Craftsman.

I've got enough put away for either of the two above saws. Or I could save a while longer and get a 5100 w/ 18" for $394. Getting pretty close to my MS310 in size and one saw or the other wouldn't get used.

Or do I keep saving and keep looking towards the 7900, 441/460 or such. That was the original plan. My wife won't initially know about it and the new saw will hide out in the Craftsman hard case.

So what do I do?

Looking at your signature, I don't get why you would want another small saw. If you do, look hard at the dolmar, and huskies. I never have, but I think any saw with plastic clutch covers, and non tuneable carbs are a joke, including the 180 (I know I have one, but thats besides the point, or is the point, not sure, lol) I would go with a saw that atleast has a tunable carb. I think you have enough small saws any way, I'd step up, get a ms460.

saw idea

i would look at something like the stihl ms 250 16"' bar and none safety chain. the 250 is only ten pounds and would compliment the 310 quite well. if had to own only 2 sawz i would own a 310 with a 20" bar and have a 250 wearin a 16" bar. the 250 only weighs 10 pounds.

:greenchainsaw:

$350-400 would get you a pretty nice pre-owned medium large saw. If you're comfortable with checking it out, it's a good way to go. Otherwise, I'd keep saving if you want new. Your only a couple $100 from a...dare I say it...361!

If you're going to pack it on your ATV, keep in mind that some saws (I'm thinking Dolmar 7900) don't have cases available.

$350-400 would get you a pretty nice pre-owned medium large saw. If you're comfortable with checking it out, it's a good way to go. Otherwise, I'd keep saving if you want new. Your only a couple $100 from a...dare I say it...361!

If you're going to pack it on your ATV, keep in mind that some saws (I'm thinking Dolmar 7900) don't have cases available.

Unless I happen to run into something by luck, used is not much of an option. The market around where I'm at is just not there.

I knew eventually a 361 would come up. Not really an option. I don't want to duplicate in the same size class. If I'm going to wait, I want to really move up.

I've got some money squirreled away. By squirreled away, I mean the wife doesn't know about it. Here's where I'm at:

I have been thinking about adding the MS180 because I bought some land in the spring and I've got some ATV trails I want to cut through it and such. Lot of small undergrowth stuff. I'll just go to my dealer I bought from last time for anything Stihl.

Today I found a Dolmar that I finally got ahold of. About 40 mins away but he actually stocks saws. He's got the 420 coming in next week and it will be $279 w/16" bar. He's also got the 350 coming for $364 w/14" bar. For $15 it should be a no brainer. A direct replacement for my Craftsman.

I've got enough put away for either of the two above saws. Or I could save a while longer and get a 5100 w/ 18" for $394. Getting pretty close to my MS310 in size and one saw or the other wouldn't get used.

Or do I keep saving and keep looking towards the 7900, 441/460 or such. That was the original plan. My wife won't initially know about it and the new saw will hide out in the Craftsman hard case.

So what do I do?

Better be careful, if your wife is like mine she will smell the new saw smell that you will be reeking.:) :) It will take more than stashing it in your old Craftsman case! Damn I made a tongue twister. Say "she will smell the new saw smell" three times as fast as you can.

Last edited:

So what do I do?

For what you describe, both will probably work well. However, the Dolmar should be a much better quality saw than the 180, and more versatile because of the added power.

Be aware that the 420 weights quite a bit more than the 180, but does it matter to you?

Hidin' stuff from the ol' lady prolly isn't the best way to go about this...

just my opinion... I never understood how/why guys do that.

Gary

I know what you mean. If she'd just let me buy what I want. But I only use the saw to heat the house and if I spend what I want on a saw, the whole years heat savings will be gone. My wife is tight on the budget. It is normally good for me and keeps money in the bank but I really want a bigger saw.

Here up until last year about this time, I thought I was doing really well with the Craftsman and Poulan. Now I don't even want to run them.

Yep!!

Gary

What Gary said is true.
I mean if she finds out she may wonder what else you are hiding.:dizzy: :dizzy:
Why not just talk to her and tell her you want a bigger saw and the reason behind it? A marriage or relationship is a partnership, it doesn't work well when one or the other is sneaking around.

What Gary said is true.
Why not just talk to her and tell her you want a bigger saw and the reason behind it? A marriage or relationship is a partnership, it doesn't work well when one or the other is sneaking around.

I completely agree. It would be better to just get her permission. I've brought it up and have been quickly shot down.

My argument at the moment is pretty weak. I've got 4 saws that run fine, I'm 3 years ahead on wood and in the past year and a half she's let me buy: 2007 Suzuki Eiger, 2007 Silverado 4x4, build a 8'x24' woodshed, 17 acres of land and the Stihl MS310 in the name of heating the house cheaper with wood.

Like I said, my argument for a new saw is weak. I just want one.

I love my Dolmar. For the money it can't be beat. I have the 510, From what I read the 5100 has a little more zip. I use my 510 mostly for atv trails but also lately for storm clean up. It will get it done.

I completely agree. It would be better to just get her permission. I've brought it up and have been quickly shot down.

Like I said, my argument for a new saw is weak. I just want one.

Dude, take it from me. Been married happily for 27 years and here's what you do. Just go out and buy the saw and DON'T hide it or anything, let her see it.

27 years has taught me it's easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission. If your marriage is strong she'll get over it --- I always do............

Others have given some good advice too. Wife and I never hid anything from each other.

............OK, so that 108 C. I. big bore kit for my motorcycle is still in the back of the closet..................:clap: :clap: :clap:

Don't tell her unless she knows her saws. Just go and get a can of spray paint from the local hardware shop that matches your new saw (Dolmar 7900?) and tell her you painted one of your old saws.
Let me know how you go and I'll check the death notices in the papers if it doesn't work out.
My fiancee is too smart for that although I ordered a PS-7900 today with her knowledge :) I'm a bit luckier than some of my friends - their wives are pure evil...

Gary

What Gary said!!!!!!

What Gary said is true.

Dude, take it from me. Been married happily for 27 years and here's what you do. Just go out and buy the saw and DON'T hide it or anything, let her see it.

27 years has taught me it's easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission. If your marriage is strong she'll get over it --- I always do............

Others have given some good advice too. Wife and I never hid anything from each other.

............OK, so that 108 C. I. big bore kit for my motorcycle is still in the back of the closet..................:clap: :clap: :clap:

Hate to keep lecturing you but......:agree2: :agree2: :agree2:

I know it's not the "big" saw you really want but the Dolmar 420 would make a great trail/atv saw......Hands down, in a complete different league than the 180 but cost a bit more also.....IMO

Don't tell her unless she knows her saws. Just go and get a can of spray paint from the local hardware shop that matches your new saw (Dolmar 7900?) and tell her you painted one of your old saws.
Let me know how you go and I'll check the death notices in the papers if it doesn't work out.
My fiancee is too smart for that although I ordered a PS-7900 today with her knowledge :) I'm a bit luckier than some of my friends - their wives are pure evil...

Just wait until your fiancee becomes the wife --then it will change.

Latest posts

Back