I've got a sinking feeling

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KenInTexas

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
A buddy of mine bought a used saw, a Craftsman 316.350840. It has the WT769 in it. I spent a whole day cleaning and rebuilding the carb to no avail, it's a gonner! I've spent hours trying to find a new or used carb for it. It crosses out to Sears 9287-310201 (Walbro WT-769-1) then MTD 9287310201 then it says
use MC-9287-310201. No luck! I have the sinking feeling that he just spent way too much on a saw, just to throw it out because no carbs are available for it. Does anyone know where to get one? (not my photos)

Attachments

• 059a84YlHJxrhPWBscsxG6Dh.jpeg
    059a84YlHJxrhPWBscsxG6Dh.jpeg
    46.1 KB · Views: 44
  • carb.png
    carb.png
    103.2 KB · Views: 44
Ah yes the McCulloch Craftsman. When Mac went belly up...parts support went with them

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Good news is there is no way to dump anymore money into that mistake. Even if the carb was available the intake boot would rip and its not available either

What problems are you having that made you decide to give up on the carb and what was the extent of your "cleaning"? Very few things go wrong with a carb that can't be cured with a complete teardown and thorough cleaning (remove all welch plugs), proper reassembly with new diaphragms and check valves if needed.

I,ve had a few that wouldn't do right until I soaked them in carb cleaner. They sell it at a lot of auto parts stores and the stuff actually works. Comes in one gallon cans and costs about $25. As old 2 stroke says very few if any carbs really need to be replaced. There are no moving parts to fail, just get clogged up.

I just gave up on the same or similar saw....MTD...no parts available. I'm going to try cleaning the carb, but it is disappointing not having any parts available.

Lately I have been buying aftermarket carbs instead of cleaning....but an ultrasonic cleaner with straight Simple Green is really magical for getting crud out of carbs....not worth the effort if a new Chinese carb is $12 though.

I install about 10 Chinese carbs a week and the failure rate is about the same as oem for pennies on the dollar and most aftermarket carbs are more adjustable. One cool thing i found...on Briggs singles that have surged since new, surged on new oem carbs...if i install a 22 dollar "Kipa" carb off amazon it 100% stops the surging.

What problems are you having that made you decide to give up on the carb and what was the extent of your "cleaning"? Very few things go wrong with a carb that can't be cured with a complete teardown and thorough cleaning (remove all welch plugs), proper reassembly with new diaphragms and check valves if needed.
Stripped out H/L jets.

Stripped adjustment screws on both H and L ? That is a real killer, can't remember finding a carb with even one stripped. I have yet to find a Chinese carb that wouldn't work properly, always take them apart and verify setting of the control lever and assembly of the diaphragms and gaskets before installing them. On some the thread pitch of the adjustment screws can be different from OEM so number of turns out will be different and there can also be an issue with the fuel and impulse nipples having a different location.

I hate to see a saw go to waste, no matter who makes it. One of these days, I hope we can 3D print these obsolete carburetors for some of these old machines.

Latest posts

Back