jätkänkynttilä

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tundraotto

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
heres a cool idea to take our minds off the chevy - ford debate.
this is a traditional lumberjacks candle from Finland. You make it by chopping a trunk of about 10-20" thick to about a 3-4foot lengths and then you stand it on its end and cross cut it from the top so you have 4 quarters going about 3/4 of the way down. To make it work the wood really needs to be kinda dry. Most people take the bark off and let the wood dry outside for a while. Once ready and dry you just pour a bit of gas (from your HUSQVARNA chainsaw:D ) into the cross of the cuts and light it up. These candles will burn for several hours and will make the dark nights lighter and warmer and really look beautiful.

Heres some pictures from a church's christmas ceremonies somewhere in finland. Try em out - we love them

http://www.lions.fi/district107-G/Vilppula/metsakirkko.html

yeah - looks like a real worry in the middle of winter with a couple of feet of snow and weather so cold even flames get cold...:p

Hey Otto, thats a great idea. I'll try it. I have never seen it before. I will try one out of Ironwood and take some pictures.
Is the gas out of my 088 ok?
John

yep, if the wood is dry. It will work on pine or softwoods the best - semi dry at least or youre going to use a lot of gas to light it up, LOL.

Hei Tundraotto,
Nautin sinun metsakyntila kuvista kovin paljon. Kylla on varmaan upea nakomys piimealla. Kiitan kovin paljon linkistasi niihin kuviin.

Art Martin

Terve Art, mukava nähdä ette suomenkieli on sinulla viela täysin hallussa. Olen tassa sahaillut muutaman kuukauden ajan mäntyjä, jotta saisin naitä jätkänkynttilöitä tarpeeksi talvea varten. Ovat todella kauniita talvella, jopa täällä etelässä. Enoni opetti minulle näiden tekemisen 1970-luvulla, metsuri kun oli.

Ammatti He who yhteensä we että te kaivata by syttyminen elimistö ajaksi sinun 056 Did te hankkia ainoa joko? I-KIRJAIN hankkia fewemail , we aikaa dozerdan@sunlinknet

Dennis - agreed on the 088 LOL,

dozerdan - Thats a nice collection of words you have there. Where did you cut and paste them from?

"profession, he who together we so need by ignition body time your 056 did acquire already? I-letter acquire fewemail, we time":confused: I dont understand....

Poulotto
You mean that I actually had some real words in there!
How can you cut and paste something? Is that something like copy and paste?
I guess I have been out of school to many years and I did not do very well in foreign languages.
It was supposed to read something like
Art
Ken told me that you need an ignition system for your 056.If you still need one email me at
[email protected]

Later
Dan

LOL, yeah you had some of the right words in there ok, just a few extra ones...Not bad though..The commentary on that comic is pretty funny...:D I had forgotten about that pic.

Seriously

What kind of ceremony is this?

Is this log burning some thought up idea or is it a ancient method?

Don

These pictures are from a christmas church service, its the only pics of the candles I could find. The 'lumberjack' candles have been around for a long long time and are just used to provide convenient lighting and very low smoke heat. They burn for several hours making them pretty convenient.

Those are neat and they are great for hunting camps as well. i know some guys who call them Swedish candles. they usually use dry hardwood and lantern fuel.

The translation for John's green peace cartoon:

"Can't fall this tree because I swallowed the key".

The guy walking off said "f***ing queer"

Fish, you kill me!
What keeps the candles from falling over? Something nailed to the bottom? That's pretty cool. Thanks Ottohering. Finlandia vodka and pickled fish (not you Fish) ,two of life's little pleasures.

Back