J Red 49sp gas line leaking

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kab5275

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey everyone. I'm new to the forums but I have an old 49sp of my dads I cleaned up. While rebuilding the carb, the gasine that runs through the case to the tank leaks. It leaks right where the hole is where the line would enter the case. Ill upload a pic. Was there a gasket or something there? What's the best fix? Leaks when saw I tipped over.

Thanks everyone!image.jpgimage.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 6
That was my first saw, Mom bought it for me I was 14, the guy was sure I would cut my arms off. Ha ha. It kept vibrating itself apart. The a/v was a little week if I remember correctly but she was a screamer.

That was my first saw, Mom bought it for me I was 14, the guy was sure I would cut my arms off. Ha ha. It kept vibrating itself apart. The a/v was a little week if I remember correctly but she was a screamer.
She is a screamer!

Yep replace the line......7/32 OD....1/8 ID First and only saw I ever bought new...1977....was completely worn out by 1992....much more use than the typical 49SP usually ever would get.....found AS......still had the carcase.....all new now and ported.....runs good!!! Still......it's the one at the top of the pic2012 all pics from Robins camera 067.JPG

Wow thats awesome. Their neat saws. I don't know much about em, just was my dads and I picked it out of the garage and cleaned it up a bit. took all the covers off and scraped and picked 30 years of dirt and dust out of her. Might need some help with the tuning part once I get the line replaced. I rebuilt the carb but kept the adjustments as they were. I need a lesson on tuning…

Also, what would be a good saw that is pretty common and available that I could mess around with and learn to do some motor work on? I have a buddy who's pretty good at that stuff and I know I would ruin a couple cylinders practicing, so I need a good but common saw to get started with that has a lot of cheap replacements haha.

Wow thats awesome. Their neat saws. I don't know much about em, just was my dads and I picked it out of the garage and cleaned it up a bit. took all the covers off and scraped and picked 30 years of dirt and dust out of her. Might need some help with the tuning part once I get the line replaced. I rebuilt the carb but kept the adjustments as they were. I need a lesson on tuning…

You're in the right place.......we'll talk ya through it....

Also, what would be a good saw that is pretty common and available that I could mess around with and learn to do some motor work on? I have a buddy who's pretty good at that stuff and I know I would ruin a couple cylinders practicing, so I need a good but common saw to get started with that has a lot of cheap replacements haha.

Poulan "Wild Thing" or eq. Cheep..... many around.....many parts around too...

Yep replace the line......7/32 OD....1/8 ID First and only saw I ever bought new...1977....was completely worn out by 1992....much more use than the typical 49SP usually ever would get.....found AS......still had the carcase.....all new now and ported.....runs good!!! Still......it's the one at the top of the picView attachment 328999

Robin, what is your source for 7/32" OD line? I occasionally find a place where the 3/16" OD stuff could stand to be a bit tighter.

Robin, what is your source for 7/32" OD line? I occasionally find a place where the 3/16" OD stuff could stand to be a bit tighter.
Can't remember off the top of my head Mark.....ebay somewhere.....I'll look when I get to the shop, there may be an address on it. Had it in "My Favorites" on my other 'puter, that when up in smoke.

Hey cantdog, how does the 52e compare to the 49sp? whats the differences?
Well.....the 49SP is a stripped down 52 more or less.....49SP has a very uncomplicated, light duty points system compared to the regular points style 52. The 52 E has an SEM electronic ign.
However even though light duty, the 49sp points rarely give problems. The P&C are the big differences....49 has a single ring piston with no thrust washers on the wristpin and an open port cyl with the spark coil mounted on the cyl itself. The 52/52E has a two ring piston with thrust washers on the wristpin, a closed port cyl and the spark coil mounts inside the recoil cover. The 52/52E is built more like the little brother of the 621....very heavy duty....built to go the distance. The 52/52E and the 49SP are both 49cc, have the same carbs, clutch, cases, covers, handles etc. The 49SP was built just as the name says.... Semi Pro.....built on a pro platform but with a cheaper top end. If I remember the 52E was about $100 more than the 49SP, with the 52 being about $75 more than the 49SP. I so wanted to buy a 621 when I bought my 49SP but the $$$$ were not there and I needed a saw badly...paid $249 out the door and it was money well spent. That little guy put food on the table and wood in the stove (only heat) for three full winters....usual week in the winter was 4 truckloads of spruce/fir pulp cut 4' (28 cord) and 2-3 cord of hardwood....never had a problem until the end......16 yrs later.

Dang, a lot of knowledge right there! So what's the difference between the 52 and 52e? Since there was a slight price difference?

Just found my answer from a previous forum on the 52 that you had replied to…Points ign. compared to the electronic ignition!

Dang, a lot of knowledge right there! So what's the difference between the 52 and 52e? Since there was a slight price difference?
52E as I said had a SEM electronic ign mounted under the flywheel...thus the "E"........the 52 had a points ign but not like the 49sp.....it was like the ign on the 621. Other than that...the 52 and 52E were identical.... Even HD points system was cheaper than electronic SEM.

Latest posts

Back