Jammed Bar Tip

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sundance

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
The roller tip on the bar of my Echo 4910 jammed tight today while cutting.
Anyone with thoughts on freeing it? I was going to clamp the bar down and tap the teeth with a punch and hammer unless someone has a better option.
If I can't free it I think I've read that Poulan bars will fit? Just looking for something I might find locally.
Thanks.

Visit oregon’s website and go through their part finder. You’re looking for the four character tail/mount code (ie husqvarna large is D009). Then match your length, pitch, and gauge.

I’d try some percussive persuasion to get whatever’s in there to move. Probably a wood chunk that got ingress just wrong. If that doesn’t work, heat with a blow torch to try to free it up. Expand the metal, char the wood chunk a bit, and lower the oil viscosity. Worst you can do is ruin it more.

Actually, scratch that. Worst you can do is burn your house and the surrounding forest down. :p:eek:

Anyone with thoughts on freeing it? I was going to clamp the bar down and tap the teeth with a punch and hammer unless someone has a better option.
If I can't free it I think I've read that Poulan bars will fit? Just looking for something I might find locally.
Thanks.
Pry the pinched area back out where it crushed the bar then work the teeth loose.

If replacing the bars, note that some ECHO bars are a drive link or so different (e.g. 57 dl on my 16” CS400, instead of the very common 56dl).

Downside: you may need to replace or resize your chains, if you use a non-ECHO bar. Upside: if using odd DL chains now, the more common chains might be easier to find.

Philbert

Thanks.
Soak in a degreaser like Purple Power. Then try again. Still no joy…soak in brake or carb cleaner.

I had the bar tip sprocket lock up on me today as well (Tsumara 20") and I used a flat head screwdriver to twist and widen the groove enough to get the sprocket to spin freely again. Must have freed up whatever had it bound up because I used the same saw and bar the rest of the day with no issues...

My echo 501 had the same thing keep happening to it. It stopped jamming up when I stopped greasing the nose sprocket. I also would rock the chain back and forth on a log to free it up.

Had the roller on my 500I get jammed up twice last weekend. Carry an extra 30in bar but it is a roller as well. Called a couple of days ago and my local guy is attempting to get a hard tipped bar for it (they used to be Stellite tips back in the day). Stopped using those years ago but on this saw at least am going to go back to them.

My echo 501 had the same thing keep happening to it. It stopped jamming up when I stopped greasing the nose sprocket. I also would rock the chain back and forth on a log to free it up.
Yeah, I stopped greasing nose sprockets a while ago to. Probably get a bunch of opinions on whether it we should grease sprockets or not, but it's something I just don't do anymore...

I used to grease all my bar tips. Don't really anymore. Heck the bar that came with my ms400 doesn't have a hole in it. Figure there's enough bar oil working it's way down in there to keep it lubed up.

The bar on my 4910 did the same thing, after not much use "new saw", it's been on the ground in the backyard since I switched it out for an Oregon "VersaCut" 180VXLGK041 18" .325 .50 72DL, after this I just went out and got the Echo bar out of the yard and got the sprocket freed up, will keep it for a spare.

The bar on my 4910 did the same thing, after not much use "new saw", it's been on the ground in the backyard since I switched it out for an Oregon "VersaCut" 180VXLGK041 18" .325 .50 72DL, after this I just went out and got the Echo bar out of the yard and got the sprocket freed up, will keep it for a spare.
Mine was on maybe its 4th tank so also pretty much new.

Back